“Top choice for Legian, reputation well deserved”

Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Legian
Melbourne, Australia
“Top choice for Legian, reputation well deserved”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

I stayed at Bali Mandira Beach Resort and Spa in September 2009.
I booked a deluxe cottage on-line via their website. At the time I made the booking this was much cheaper than booking through an agent in Australia. The booking was in US Dollars and by the time of my trip, the better exchange rates of the AUD Vs USD made my stay even more economical.
A day after making my booking I was contacted by email from the hotel who offered a free airport transfer.
I was staying at another hotel in Tuban before my stay and they offered to collect me from that hotel. I thought that was quite generous. When I checked out of my other hotel, there was a driver there waiting for me.
Arrived at resort at midday and was pleased to know my room was ready.
I was also advised I had been upgraded to the one and only tower suite. They do not have any pics of this room on the website.
When I was being taken to my room which is on the top floor of the tower I was a bit unsure of what was going on as I had expected to be in one of the ground level cottages.
Well what a surprise. The tower suite room was wonderful.
There was a large main room was with a sitting area, bar area, lots of room and huge king bed. A flat screen TV and beautiful furnishings complemented the room.
There was a large balcony that had both tub chairs and a day bed. It had an amazing view out to the ocean.
There was a completely separate area that featured a marble dressing area and wardrobe.
This then went through to a massive marble bathroom which included a large square raised bath, separate shower and dual sinks.
You could sit in the bath watch the sunsets – heaven.
I did stick my head in one of the deluxe rooms as well to see what they were like. They were fine but the room I had was indeed far more luxurious and stylish.
I went to the club lounge a few times but found the service to be quite slow when the lounge was full. This was often the case for the free drinks from 5.30 to 7pm. The lounge is at the front of the resort near the reception.
I think I’d much rather sit on the beach and watch the sunsets.
Every time I went to use the internet in the lounge, there were always people on the terminals and someone waiting. I actually preferred going to a couple of the restaurants up the road that offered free Wi-Fi and used my own computer.
Breakfast in the Parasol restaurant was lovely and lots of choice. I didn’t eat any other meals in the hotel.
There is no pool bar in the pool at Mandira. This is actually a good thing as I have stayed at plenty of resorts where guests sit in the pool all day and drink and never get out...so that’s an issue you don’t need to worry about here. I much prefer the top infinity pool. The bottom pool has lovely grassy areas also.
I appreciated being able to use the showers after check-out before my flight. Reception will give you a towel and soap to use the showers by the pool. I found this was much better than having to pay for a late checkout.
Security at the resort is great.
The position of Mandira can’t be beaten and I like that it is more intimate than the Padma which is across the road.
I am returning in January and when I went to book a month prior I found availability was limited.
I decided I didn’t need to book a deluxe room again considering I rarely used the lounge last time (and not fussed by it) and I’d be happy to eat breakfast in the other restaurant.
I have managed to book a superior cottage room this time. I believe these are on the second floor of some of the deluxe cottages so I think this will be fine for my purposes.
It’s no wonder Mandira is so popular, it’s a reputation well deserved.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank Veebes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
perth western australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2009

I have just come back from 7 nights at this hotel. had a great holiday. This was my friend's first time to Bali so I wanted to stay in a nice hotel. We were both impressed with everything, the grounds were beautiful, the rooms were clean and had everything we needed. The staff were very friendly and helpful. This was my 7th time to Bali and I still had a fantastic time. We did a lot of shopping, eating and drinking. My friend had a ball she can't wait to go back. The location of the hotel is close to the markets, beach and places to eat. We found the prices at the hotel to eat were quite reasonable also. Next time we go back we will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
BaliMandiraGM, General Manager at Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2009
Thank you, We are looking forward to have you again with us.
Perth WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2009

We stayed at the Bali Mandira in October and we can't wait to return. We got a great deal on our flights so we decided to upgrade our accomodation and go for the Deluxe Bungalow with indoor/outdoor bathroom. The room was big enough and the bathroom had plenty of room for the two of us.

The staff are very friendly and we were impressed that they remembered what drinks, coffee etc we liked to order and they would ask us if that was what we wanted before we had to ask.

The gardens and pool areas are always tidy and we loved the close proximity to the beach. We are planning to go back next year.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
BaliMandiraGM, General Manager at Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 December 2009
Thank you for the kind words, We are looking forward to see you stay with us again.
Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

Great place, cannot fault at all. Will be back next year. Perfect position, food great, everything, staff all lovely and caring.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
NT, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2009

WOW, what a week. This hotel is fabulous. Everyone that works at this hotel is so lovely.

We stayed in a Deluxe room which was great, the room was a little small, but we only slept in there so it didn’t matter, also the massive outdoor shower and bathroom made up for it!

We got a private check in up in the club lounge with a welcome drink and cold towels which was lovely. As we were in a deluxe room we were able to use the club lounge all week with access to free internet and soft drinks etc, then in the afternoon’s free cocktails or Bingtangs!!!

The gardens of the hotel were amazing and my partner was very impressed with the squirrels which we were lucky enough to hand feed.

We spent most of our holiday at the Barong Bar, having cocktails made by Artie. The bar staff are just the best and treat you so kindly, they do a great job, and they all remember your name!

Good security also, at each entrance to the hotel.

As we were in deluxe room we were lucky enough to have buffet breakfast every morning at the Parasol Restaurant which is overlooking the beach, it was magical, and the staff here once again were just a delight, the only thing was the whole week I just wanted bacon that was cooked normal, but it was always cooked so it was crunchy and black, I dunno maybe they think we like it this way. You could get your eggs and pancakes cooked the way you liked it and the banana pancake was yum. We ate dinner twice at the Parasol Restaurant as they have theme nights, we ate at the all you could eat pasta night and seafood night and both were delicious.

Room service was great as well, every day without fail we had our room made up with fresh towels etc.

Right in front of the hotel on the beach is Billy’s bar, where there are two umbrellas an esky full of Bintang and seats, Billy and Chilly really look after you, best time of day to sit down there would be sunset, it is just beautiful, and once again Billy and Chilly will not forget your name. Bingtang, sunset and a foot or shoulder massage what more could you want? (Bingtange just over $1 each)

I had a few appointments at the Day Spa, it was a lot more expensive then the ones on the street, but so worth it! (A girl I met had a massage from one on the street and she had bruises from it).The Bali Mandira day spa is the best day spa I have ever been to, it’s so beautiful and peaceful inside. I had 4 treatments, 1.5hr massage, 1.5hr facial, pedi & mani and my partner and I had the romantic retreat which was just wonderful, it was 2.5hrs and my favourite bit was the rose petal bath.

The hotel is in the perfect location, when you are in the hotel it seems like you are away from the hustle and bustle of the shops and restaurants, but step out the entrance of the hotel and you are shopping in Legian. There are two entrances to the hotel, which is the lobby entrance which is close to shops and then the beach entrance. You walk 15 minutes to the left of the hotel up the beach you are in Kuta. We only went into Kuta twice and I would highly recommend not staying there as it is just too busy and I did not find it relaxing at all and the beach in Kuta was just sooo busy. Our favourite place to eat would be Seminyak (turn right out of the hotel and walk 10 – 15 minutes along the beach) which has some nice little restaurants, for example one place we ate at we had 3 course meal cocktails and Bingtangs and it was about $15 - $20 for everything. If you want a hotel right on the beach I would definitely choose the Bali Mandira, the other ones we passed along the beach were not as nice. We met some people staying at the Padma, we went to their hotel for a swim and yeah the pool is bigger and newer and maybe nicer and they have a swim up bar, but you could not see the beach from the pool or the sun beds, where as you have the best view from the Mandira. When I was in the Padma, I felt like I was at a resort on the Gold Coast not in Bali. The friends we met often came over to the Bali Mandira, and said that Bali Mandira had a better atmosphere, the staff are nicer and were impressed with the live music each night around the Barong Bar.

There were two pools to pick from, we didn’t really have a favourite although the top infinity pool seemed to be cooler and it had a great view of the hotel grounds, the bottom pool and the beach.

Only one thing that really annoyed me. People would put their towels on the sun lounges to secure them for the day, so they would get a sun lounge in a good spot, often people wouldn’t even come back, so they would put their towel down before breakfast, go do their shopping etc then maybe come back in the afternoon, I thought this was very unfair. Also there were 3 gazebos that were able to be used, 2 days that we were laying on the sun lounges the same couple had a gazebo two days in a row, but they weren’t even using them! They would put their towels and belongings under the gazebo but then lay out in the sun on the day beds, I thought this was very rude and unfair and that there needs to be some sort of policy on this. You would often look at the Gazebos and there would just be towels on them for most of the day, no one there, but people just putting their towels there to secure them. So if you stay at Bali Mandira, please don’t do this as it is unfair for others that actually do want to spend the day there.

Other then that, it was a fabulous week and when I come back to Bali next year I will certainly be staying at the Bali Mandira. I am going to miss all the wonderful people there, especially Artie and the staff at Barong Bar and Parasol Restaurant. Oh and can’t wait to have another Bingtang at Billy and Chilly Bar with a foot massage from Annie.

Please contact me if you have any questions and I will give you my honest opinion.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank TerritoryGirl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

We stayed at the Bali Mandira in october.Delux rooms. Rooms were a bit small but as people have said before you only sleep in there. The outside bathroom was beautiful as were the grounds around the hotel. Both swimming pools were very clean and well maintained. Our rooms were cleaned daily with fresh linen,nothing like getting into a clean fresh bed every night.
Food was fab the pizzas were very very yummy great to share with a bintang watching the sunset. Being on the beach was also a bonus so nice to relax in the evenings and watch the sun setting.
As we had delux rooms we had the bonus of breakfast in the Parasol restaurant over looking the beach also we had the club lounge privalage of free cocktails in the evening and snacks and afternoon tea there is free internet acccess also which was great to catch up on emails.
The hotel is close t o great shopping in Legian and good pubs too,
Its a nice quiet hotel at the end of the day there is no hussle and bussle just nice realxing feeling with beautiful smiley staff there to look after you and to talk too.
Staff were wonderful so friendly.
Will book again when I go back to Bali.
Cant go worng with the hotel.
Thankyou Bali Mandira

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Tauras2
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

We just returned back from Bali Monday 2 November 09 and we stayed at the Mandira! We stayed for 10 days this time and Loved the place even more. We took our 2 children 7 & 10 yrs again as we only went 4 months ago and stayed here also. The staff are soooo friendly and cater to your every need. The rooms aren't huge but big enough as you are really only there to sleep. Breakfast is great, pool is awsome and the location is AWSOME. Make sure you head to the beach at sunset and have a few Bintangs at Billys Bar, just lovely people. We are planning another trip back soon and will be staying at the Mandira again, I LOVE THIS HOTEL !!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
BaliMandiraGM, General Manager at Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 November 2009

We are looking forward to have you again with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Padma Resort Legian
Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana
The Bandha Hotel & Suites
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection

Been to Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!