“Some unpleasant experiences during our stay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana

Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Legian
“Some unpleasant experiences during our stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

On arrival we had to wait until 2pm for check-in, which was fine. However by 3pm our room still wasn't ready. We were firstly given a room in the back area which was extremely noisy due to building works taking place. We had to move and the next room was no better, it had noisy air conditioning unit which vibrated and sounds like a jet. Reception staff then wamted tongive us a room eith twin beds, this was not good enough as we requested a king bed because it is our honeymoon. Eventually we were upgraded to a suit with a nice view of pool and ocean. But on a downside, the floor boards creek, the toilets run, and occasionally there is an unpleasant smell from the bathroom plumbing.

Housekeeping is slow and usually our room wasn't made up until the afternoon.

Reception staff recommended dinner at a restarant in Jimbaran Bay, but this stuffed us around and we sat in traffic for 3 hours, didn't make it to dinner at Jimbaran bay and missed the sunset.

Overall, the hotel wasted a lot of our time. Considering this was for our honeymoon, it was disappointing that we had a poor experience at the Pullman. We were compensated for the problems we experienced by a complimentary baliness massage for 2 in the spa. This was a lovely experience and I would recommend using the day spa facilities.

The buffet breakfast has a good variety, but it is poorly set up and things are scattered everywhere within the dining hall. To make this worse, they had to relocated breakfast into a ballroom because the usual dining area had to be closed for maintenance (it had ripped up floor boards, which was rather dangerous).

This hotel is poorly constructed, water leaks from the cieling creating slippery puddles everywhere and plaster is falling off.

The hotel service could be improved by having staff explain where the facilities are located, as this was just left for us to work out and the rooms did not contain information packages.

We won't be returning to the Pullman. Bali has a lot better resorts to offer.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

All you read is true. Accor should be refunding money!
Air con......what air con?
Shower stench......smells like a dead rat
Moldy smells
Broken floors, wet linen from lack of air con. Room noise was terrible bad luck if you wanted to sleep in, the banging started at 9am.....

Positive.... Well priced food (within Kuta hotel prices)

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kerry R
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

I stayed here in August, 2012. Firstly the location is great, right accross the road from the beach, not to far from any shops at all including a "REPUTABLE" money eXchange.

All the hotel staff were very friendly and always smiling and ready to help you - thats what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE.

The property itself was great. Quite large with alot of space in the middle, I would suggest in putting in another pool though as there are only two and they aren't tiny, but could be bigger. Go to the rooftop pool for sunset, great!

The rooms were great, clean, comfy, the bathrooms amazing. I stayed in a standard lead-in room and I was happy. The beds were very comfy, the linen nice and soft same as the pillows.

Going into the restaurant, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner I believe, the breakfast itself was amazing, so much to choose from, they even had a chocolate fondu for breakfast, thats what I call a holiday haha!

There is also a spa and a modern gym, the best gym I have seen in a hotel, you would think you were in a property gym, they had treadmills and modern assisted weight machines and showers.

Room Tip: The standard room is ample for people who love comfort but dont want to go overboard and go up a cat...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank MIKEBNE
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

I read the reviews for this hotel before booking and I thought that people must have been exaggerating or at the very least they must have been extremely picky about perfection. I have stayed in many Accor properties around the world, in addition I stay in hotels for more than 60 nights per year.

This hotel needs to be closed down and fixed! In fact from what I saw it needs to be closed down, knocked down and rebuilt. If anything the reviews on this website understate the condition of the hotel.

So what is our story?

I read all the reviews for the hotel and saw three reoccuring issues: Squeaky floors, poor air conditioning and construction noise. We overlooked the reviews that mentioned smelly showers as we thought it was simply people who are very picky (Oh and in terms of 'construction noise' the is mentioned in reviews, please be aware this is NOT renovating the hotel it is fixing it). So armed with the information provided by reviewers on Trip Advisor I called the hotel reservation department directly on three occasions. I then followed up with an email to 100% confirm that they would block a room, once we had booked, that did not display any of the issues. After some back and forth we received confirmation that they would block this room for us once we had booked.

I proceeded with the booking for 7 nights in a 2 bedroom king suite, around USD$410 per night. Less than 24 hours after I made the booking that could not be canceled I received an email from the hotel. Sorry sir, we cannot block the room we had intended and I cannot ensure there is no construction noise. We have a 7 month old and 2.5 year old who both sleep during the middle of the day. A quiet room was critical to ensuring a pleasent and relaxing stay. Finally 48 hours later we received another confirmation that they could block a room with no construction noise, new floor boards and working airconditioning.

We arrived at the hotel and the entrance is impressive, everything a hotel of this nature should be. Check in was swift and we were helped to our room by a porter. As we had booked a 2 bedromm king suite it is actually two interconnecting rooms with the second having a very large living room attached.

The porter opened the main room however, the key to the second did not work. He said he would be 5 minutes with new keys. 45 minutes later we are still waiting... I rang front desk. Are you kidding me? I rang three times and the call just rang out. I then rang the Welcomer Number and that too went unanswered. I finally got through to the Welcomer they told me that someone had come already and fixed it. When I told them that was not possible as I was still in the other room waiting to gain access to the second, they seemingly didn't believe me. 15 minutes later we are still waiting and we needed to get the cots out for the kids to sleep... not looking great.

Finally after around 1 hour 15 minutes someone came with new keys and opened the second room. Hmmm it was hot as hell, turned the air down and seemed like damp air was coming out. I knew we had an issue. I called reception and they sent someone up, he confirmed the air was not working and would need 3 hours to fix it. He told me that would need to be done tomorrow.

So after all the effort in booking we now had a room with no air conditioning. Well to be specific it did blow air, the air was warm taking the room to 24 - 25 degrees and making the floor, bedding and clothing in the room damp and moist.

We kept the interconnecting doors open all night to allow some of the air to circulate. Needless to say the kids did not sleep well. You may ask why we did not put the kids into the living room? Well here is a critical design fault with the hotel and was acknowledged by Didi the front desk manager. As the living room is an attached room the a king suite its airconditioning is simply a split vent from the king room. What does this actually mean? It means that the air conditioning unit that is designed to cool only one hotel room is now working to cool two large rooms. Our room 1248 living room faced due west meaning it simply heated up like an oven in the afternoon as the air conditioner simply was not designed to cool two rooms.

Other reviewers briefly mentioned the issue with the way the interconnecting doors worked however, it was not very clear. Basically like an interconnecting room there are two doors each door has a one sided door handle. So you can turn the handle from your room and open the door, however, the next door you cannot open as there is no handle. You need to be in the other room to open it also.

So here is the situation, our 2.5 year old was able to open the main hotel door that leads into the corridor so we needed to put the latch on this to ensure if she opened the door she would not leave the room. This meant the only access to that room was through the interconnecting door however, if she shut that door (there is not way to lock it open) she would now be fully locked in the bedroom.... after some thinking there was only one way we could find a work around. We needed to keep the balcony door unlocked at all times. Not entirely safe right?

Anyway after our night of sleeping in a wet box I called up the reception again to find out when the airconditioner would be fixed. They knew nothing of it and sent up a new 'engineer' to check it. He stood there, with moist floors and hot air and told me 'sir nothing is wrong with airconditioner'. I rang back (after several ring outs) and got hold of the Welcomer and told him that the 'engineer' from last night told us that he needed 3 hours to fix it, that the room was hot and wet and clearly not working. Remember we did have 1 working room so we could easily compare. Finally another engineer appeared and told us 'its not working, cannot fix it today sir.'

We went and had breakfast... the nightmare continues. So we walk into the 'area' for breakfast. The floor is in such bad condition, the area is small because it appears like half the restuarant is closed for 'renovations'. Please nothing in this hotel is being renovated it is being FIXED!! We ask to be seated in the airconditioned area... and guess what. It was HOT AND WET. So now we are sitting in a grotty restaurant, with no air conditioning, in 30+ degree temperature, and my daughter starts to say 'daddy I'm hot' over and over. Now we are not the typical people that would allow the next thing to happen but we simply had to as the conditions in that 'restaurant' were horrendous, we had to take my daughters t-shirt off and let her sit there half naked.

That was it, I went immediately to the front desk and spoke with Didi informing him of everything that had happened. How we made the effort to check before booking for the right room, how I took all the bad feedback on Trip Advisor to be incorrect or exaggerated and booked the hotel. How I had been grossly mislead and let down. He looked like a broken man who had heard the stories many times and a full refund including the night we stayed was processed.

We were there for another few hours and the cracks in this hotel really shone durring the light of day. The main pool is not just small it is crazy, there are odd stools around the pool that do not match. Paint is pealing on the building and concrete areas are patched and falling out. Rooms are closed all over the place and furniture is out on the balconies. This is not a nice environment to relax in at all. As we were going back to our room we bumped into Luke who was some type of high level manager. It was his day off and we had no idea he was even working in the hotel. He was getting in the lift as we were getting out and he mentioned something about how the lift didn't work properly and ended with 'i should know I am the boss here.' We then briefly mentioned our experience and whilst he wanted to fix it again, it was a story he had heard many many times over.

As for the showers... my god. Again I thought people were being picky as odd smells are common in asian countries. The shower literally smells like someone has gone to the toilet in the drain. You need to run the show for several minutes until the smell goes away. Having plumbing experience I would assume this is caused by poor plumbing design where there is no S bend in the pipe under the shower. This cause old water to sit there and basically rot, it also allows for the waste water from the toilet to reverse flow causing the sewage smell. The only way to fix this is to rip up the floor and re do the plumbing. Whilst the smell levels after several minutes of flushing with fresh water, it will absolutely return for the next shower.

In the end we received a full refund. But we did lose 24 hours of our holiday along with the many many hours of research and effort taken to ensure we got the right rooms. At $410 per room the pricing does not meet the quality (even after they fix it). This is a mecure hotel not a Pullman and people should never pay more than $100 - $120 for a 1 bedrom king and the 2 bedroom should be under $200.

At $410 per night there are villas in much more beautiful areas, that offer so much more in service and facilities. And that is exactly where we ended up to enjoy the rest of our holidays. I would like to say, book at the Pullman with your eyes wide open. But I did this and still coped it.

Interestingly when we finally checked out of this hell hole the manager informed us that a whole wing of the hotel was closed down as they had received so many complaints. In addition there are so many other rooms boarded up.

Don't book here!!

Staff are great, but the hotel is a shocker!

Room Tip: Wait until this hotel is redeveloped before going there.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank DapsSydney
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

My husband and I have just stayed at the Pullman for seven days. We have been to Bali many times and chose to stay here after hearing about it whilst staying at the Novotel in Nusa Dua. Our room was a Grand Deluxe which in my opinion had too much waisted space, a tiny balcony, noisy floor boards and tons of mosquitoes. The pool area was much too small whilst the roof top one that was nice did not have any shade. The breakfast room had a very wet floor and lifting floorboards. I nearly slipped holding a glass in my hand. The lack of suitable air conditioning throughout the whole complex made it unbearable. With so many other hotels to pick from we would not even consider returning to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel, and without exception, found the service from staff in the restaurants and desk's to be fantastic.
However, a few issue's at the hotel meant i wouldn't rush to go back.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, which was nicely appointed and a comfortable size. However for a large room, it had a tiny balcony that looked on to a busy noisy road, so the balcony couldnt be enjoyed.
As has been mentioned numerous times, the wooden floor was raised in area's and very creeky which wasn't ideal when our baby was sleeping. We also had an issue with ants in the room and didnt find the room particularly clean, it was very dusty in places and the shower area had mould spots in numerous places.
As had also been mentioned we noticed the public corridors to be water stained.
Food was good when we had it in the hotel, and prices were reasonable.

Room Tip: Request room away from main road
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Seveonline
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

My wife and I have just had a nine day stay at the Pullman Nirwana Legian, We did get a room with the noisy floor but we did not let it spoil our stay, minor things were reported and fixed within the hour and all the staff were trying to fix the problems at the resort.
The breakfast area was having a couple of floor issues but they have closed that part off now and it will be fixed later this week, as for the staff I could not be happier, Mulan and Putu were the girls at the welcome desk, there smiles and personality were the things that we enjoyed the most. We tried to speak the local language and we had fun every day with new sayings, this made all the staff laugh and smile every time we walked by, from the girls whom cleared the tables and the boys who poured the coffee we had good times.
We were lucky to be invited to a cocktail hour around the pool to meet the Snr Staff from each Department, they were all open about the Hotel and its problems, these have been inherited from the previous owners not keeping up to date with routine maintenance , however they are going as fast as they can to fix it up to standard. It was nice to meet the the staff over a drink and learn the history of the Hotel.
Overall I will return next year to see the improvements, don't let any reviews spoil it for you if you are heading there soon , any Hotel in Bali has issues , the on the ground staff here are the one that make it an enjoyable experience.
thanks from
Ali & Morris,
Perth

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Morris E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Padma Resort Legian
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa
The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection
The Magani Hotel and Spa

Been to Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana? Share your experiences!