“Great Villa, Good Value”
Review of Anakula Villas

Anakula Villas
Ranked #51 of 81 Speciality Lodging in Legian
Sydney, Australia
“Great Villa, Good Value”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Great Villa. Six of us stayed at Anakula and we had a great time. The villa is spacious, comfortable and very clean. The layout was functional and private.

The staff was very friendly and efficient. Our air-conditioner was not working too well so they attempted to fix it but couldn't so it was replaced within hours. We were very happy to come back from shopping to find a brand new AC in our room. Nothing was a problem.

The bedroom and bathroom doors didn't seal when closed but we didn't notice any mosquitoes or bugs in the rooms. In fact we hardly noticed any bugs at all even outside in the living area. The villas are obviously well maintained.

The road outside the villas has been a work in progress for the last year and paving is near completion so walking to and from the villas without obstacles will not be a problem very soon.

Looking forward to staying at Anakula again next year.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank rosbali

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lake Munmorah, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 11 September 2012

we travelled to bali with another family in August 2012 and stayed in the two connecting villas. we were expecting the worst having read some of the reviews and were pleasantly surprised. There was a strong smell of mould and rank water but Bali is a third world country! the staff were wonderful however we had some trouble with our pool...the pump and filter stopped working and we were unable to use it for half of our holiday. The kids were very disappointed and we spoke to the manager about a refund of some of our money...instead we were offered a free in-house meal...not really compensation for half a holiday without a pool in bali!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Ms RebeccaHamer said it all, and I agree with her 100%. I'll just add a little bit more as we've actually stayed there last May.

We stayed at Villa Satu (One), the one where the guardhouse is (bit odd thou cos on our wifi connection, we can only connect to Villa Dua (two) LoL). Anyway, if you look at the photos of other reviews, its the one with the broken glass and where the doors don't quite shut. I personally didn't mind cos we always felt safe all thru our stay here, maybe because of the guard being right outside our door.

The Villa was very well kept, dishes washed, floors mopped,fresh towels everyday etc.

There was a power interruption on the second or third night of our stay (we stayed for a week), for more than 3hours if am not mistaken, sadly, Villa Anakula didn't have any power generator back then. Most of the villas on that street didn't have any either, aside from the Jass Villas (?), which of course is way more expensive than the Anakula. The guard gave us a battery operated lamp, that's cos we asked. Otherwise, we would have been in the dark til the power came back on.

The water stank for the first couple of days of our stay, mainly because they didn't put enough treatment.

Another thing to note about this Villa is, it's proximity to the famous Legian stretch, where you can find a handful of bars, restaurants and shops. Plus the Bintang supermarket. Ask the staff and they'll show you how to get there by foot, around 15mins walk (max).

Every morning, we will walk down the beach via Jalan Arjuna, 20mins walk maybe, and end up at jalan double six, where again, more shops, bars and restos.

To be honest, I would consider staying in this villa if we find ourselves heading to Bali again. Nothing special yes, but we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I live and work in Bali. My family is coming up here for Christmas and I live about 30 mins out of Legian / Seminyak. So we thought that as a treat we would all rent a villa closer to town for a few days. I was recommended Villa Anakula through an agent and it looked wonderful on their website. But before I book anything now - I always go on tripadvisor to check out the reviews. Villa Anakula had a list of bad reviews, so I thought that since I live here I should go and check it out for myself before I book. It was the cheapest option around for us at peak season and I wanted to see if what people were complaining about, really was true.

Honestly, the bad reviews had no merit what so ever and people who write these reviews don't realize how much their bad review can affect someones business. So I felt compelled to write what I saw and thought of the villas.

The price is amazing for what you get and people don't realize that Bali is not a cheap place for accommodation any more.

-Yes it is about 500 m off the main drag of Legian Street - but that is not a hidden surprise, as the website shows a map. Use your legs and go for a walk.

-Yes the road it is located on is not the best, but this is not the fault of the villa management. It is up to the local village to pave the road. They are now actually in the process of paving the road anyhow.

-Yes their is no pool fence and the two bedrooms are not adjacent to each other. So if you have small children it is not safe to have them sleeping in a bedroom with a swimming pool in between. But this is all obvious on the website. Why complain on tripadvisor about this aspect, when you should have done your research.

-I met Annie the manager and some of the staff. They were friendly, welcoming and happily answered all my questions. I think people expect 5 star service - but they forget that all they have to do is ask and make a request. Instead people just complain when things don't happen.

-People must realize that their are cultural differences and sometimes the staff are unaware that western tourists want privacy and to not have staff coming into your villa - just kindly ask them to not come in unannounced.

-The bathrooms appeared to be extremely clean and there was no moldy and musty smell in the bedrooms.

-Lastly, people complaining about rats really have to realize that they are in Bali!!!!! There are rats everywhere and it is not due to a dirty villa that attracts them. They are just everywhere. I am constantly setting traps for rats in my own house and I have an extremely clean house. They come from the rice fields and the surrounding villages. So yes you will see a rat, but just ask the staff nicely to set some traps.

-So after going there and spending an hour smelling, looking and turning on taps etc. I found no problems what so ever with Villa Anakula and I can't wait to stay there with my family at Christmas time.

-Please be mindful when you are writing a negative review and make sure that your complaints are warranted. If you want to complain about small towels etc - well go and pay over $300 a night for a small room at a 5 star hotel.

-I'll write another review of the villa after Christmas time and let you know how it all went. But for the excellent price they offer, it looks to be great value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank RebeccaHamer
Adelaide
Reviewed 9 July 2012

In May 2012 we spent 21 nights at Anakula Villa. We had two villas with the dividing wall open that gave us 4 bedrooms and two pools side by side. I have been unable to find anything to complain about other than the towels in the bathroom we're too small. Big deal. The staff were excellent and could not do enough to ensure we enjoyed our stay. The villas were cleaned daily and were very well presented. I would recommend this villa to anyone looking for clean and well maintained acomodation that is excellently located in Seminyak.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank davidmacAdelaide
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We have just come back after spending 10 great days at the Villa with my family 2 grandparents and my daughter, husband and 2 children 4 and 6.The Villa was perfect for us. Very clean, safe with friendly staff. The pool was spotless much bigger than the photos and cleaned everyday so were our rooms. We felt very safe with the staff on duty 24hours. Even if we came back to the Villa sepately they let us in.
Room service was really a treat. We had this a few times as the kids got tired. The food was good not fancy. The best thing was it was served to you and the table set like a restaurant with place mats and serviette rings and the waiter dressed up.
The beds were really comfy and the bathrooms are huge. Air con worked really well only in the bedrooms.Fans in the living area.
The kitchen area was good for us and fridge was better and larger than many other Villas we visited. This was great for us as we had a child with allegies so cooked for him regularly.
It was only 10-15 min walk to the nearest beach ( legian) if you didn't stop to shop on the way pushing a pram. Close to 66 street and the super market Bintang.
The road is being laid now outside the Villa and more Villas aregoing up in the street so if it rains it will be better. The road is narrow so our driver sometimes had to reverse out and Taxi sometimes dropped you at the end ( 2min walk)

We only had one issue. The tiles in the living area are so slippery as someone else said. Both the 4 year old and The grandfather sliped over. Luckily they didn't hurt themselves so bombing in the pool was banned and towels were put down at the edge of the living room( 2 matts were provided too) and feet were dried.
Sorry one more the bathroom towels were very skimpy and thin but the shower was great with hot hot water and good pressure. This kids liked the big bath so they didn't swallow the water.
The pool is not fenced so it is not suitable if your children can't swim.

Room Tip: Not suitable if your child cannot swim as the bedroom doors are hard to lock and pool is so close to...