“Very Disappointing; 2 Star at best.”
Review of Legian Beach Hotel

Legian Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The short report: Avoid the hotel rooms; there are much better hotels around.
The detailed report: When driving in through the front gate past the building on the right my friend said, “I hope that’s not our room”, I said no that would be the staff quarters. Turns out that is the hotel!
Got to reception just after 1pm to be told our rooms not ready and check in is 3pm. We ask if this is a nice room with a view, to be told it’s a ‘limited view room’, ok we think as long as there is an outlook that should be ok. We go off to have a look around and a drink at the bar overlooking the beach, nice but pricey.
We come back to reception, yes our room is ready, so off we go walking back across the carpark to that building we saw when we drove in to be shown to our room 317 on the 3rd floor. Open the door to a small dark room, I open the door to the balcony and am absolutely astonished at what I see.
The whole balcony has been blocked off by shadecloth and mesh to block out the view of the building site just a metre away with workmen banging around. OMG, this is the worst room I have come across in all my years of travel.
We return to reception to advise we are not taking that room it has “NO VIEW’ not a limited view..but..NO view. We have paid good money for a decent room and we thought this was a decent hotel! We are then told sorry but that’s the room you have booked a limited view room. There is nothing on any of our reservation documents saying anything about a limited view, it just says 'Superior Room', and even if it did we still wouldn’t be staying in that dreadful dark NO View room!
Then it starts getting nasty!
We are then told there is nothing else available so we say ok just cancel the reservation and we will go to another hotel. The big tall chap at reception then sprouts of their ‘no refund on cancellation’ policy as we have already prepaid for our room 2 months earlier. We advise the room is unacceptable and will be getting the charges reversed by our bank. We are then told to take a seat and he goes off to the back room. A few minutes later he is back with an offer of a ‘garden view’ room...and a lecture about what to book next time..(lol, really, next time?).The garden view room #316 has a view over the carpark...The room is better (it has daylight), with a small bathroom with shower over bath and it is clean. (Congrats to housekeeping) Thankfully we have only booked for 3 nights, it will do, and we can salvage the remainder of our time in Bali.
I have never come across such aggressive, bullying attitude by check-in staff ever!
Funny thing we found a cake in the fridge saying “Happy Honeymoon” not sure what happened to the honeymoon couple? Perhaps they fled earlier in the day.....trust me this is no honeymoon suite!
Breakfast the next morning, staff are friendly, but it’s probably one of the worst breakfasts I have come across. Food in the bain marie is dreadful, only way to go is get something made fresh like eggs or omelette. We also found the pancake waffle and crepe station on the 2nd floor...fairly stodgy.
In summary, would not recommend, beware the dodgy rooms being sold here. The hotel rooms are right at the very back of the complex furthest away from the beach. There are way better hotels around. The bungalows may be better, but there are heaps of mozzies. I wish I had taken a good look at the average, poor, and terrible reviews on this hotel, they tell a consistent story!

Room Tip: Best bet, another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
13  Thank Slam60

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Location and facilities fantastic however poor customers service. Customer service needs to be improved . Checkin staff rude and not helpful , gave no information regarding facilities e.g breakfast times and location. It took 3 attempts to get pool towels. We asked for a late checkout and was told that it would cost more than what we had paid for our room. Reception staff were unable to clarify so we sent and email to the sales manager and 3 days later am still,waiting for a response. We were charged for a drink from the mini bar that was not consumed. Also was advised that credit given at check in would not be debited with a holding deposit however on checkout was advised that holding deposit would be returned in a few days. Expensive to eat and drink at the hotel as menu prices do not include taxes of nearly 30%. Whilst great facilities not sure I would stay here again because of the experiences above. We spent the first half of our holiday at the bali mandira next door whose customer service was fantastic.

11  Thank trekker4711
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Not really impressed with the rooms, they were average, a double bed really is two singles put together and one side so close the to the wall you have to climb onto the bed from the bottom end of the bed to get in.

Breakfast was probably the worst I've had in Bali, boring and not much selection.

Staff really didn't go out of there way made us wait for our hotel room till 2pm yes check-in is 3pm but emailed the hotel to say we would be arriving early and if possible to have our room ready especially as this was a special occasion for a birthday. The hotel was definitely not fully by any means then wouldn't even allow us to have breakfast not very good.

If your on a budget I wouldn't say its the worst place ive been but personally don't think I would be returning especially when there are so many hotels to choose from and have stayed and others that are way better.

Room Tip: If your staying don't stay in the hotel rooms stay in the chalet or bungelows I think they call...
6  Thank Gennet
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

My extended family & I returned this morning after a 12 night stay at the Legian.
My family had a deluxe family loft room (256) the furthest from the pools, breakfast area etc but closest to the entrance & shopping strip. Our king side bed was up the 10+ timber staircase, it was spacious but found mozzies to be a problem. Also the bed was awful, very hard. But the kids beds were lovely & soft. The housekeeping arrived early morning & was usually done by about 9.30/10
Decent size fridge in the room & you can get ice from nearby circle K for about $1.50 a bag if needed.

To get to our room you have to climb very steep stairs that are tiled, not suitable for children especially if they are wet.. Very very dangerous in my view. Balcony was a bit squishy, we used it mainly to dry our clothes.
My mum, sister & nephew had a ground floor deluxe room, same block as ours. They had a mildew smell but found it an ok size for the 3 of them.

Breakfast was a let down, never many people there. A waffle station & pancake station was upstairs or up the lift away from the brekky area which was weird. Better off heading up the road to Sheppys for a $3 omelette or $5-$6 Aussie big breakfast.
We didn't eat a dinner at the resort, too many nicer places to choose from within walking distance.

The pools were great, pool bar service was good & always found a sun lounge. We did however be made aware of a snake on the last day & were told don't touch it & you'll be fine!!! My husband quickly moved us out of that area.

Overall I'd give this resort a 5/10, disappointed we weren't moved after asking the first morning when telling the lobby staff that my husband couldn't manage all the stairs after his knee reconstruction, he had to visit a medical centre whilst we were there for strong pain killers because the stairs were becoming a nightmare :(

Security guards always greeted us with a warm genuine smile & were helpful.
Pool staff were also friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Emily A
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I have been to Bali on a number of occasions, however, having stayed at various hotels and villas, we chose the Legian Beach Hotel this time. Certainly not sorry we did. Beautiful grounds, right on the beach with excellent pool and facilities. Staff are very friendly and the rooms (garden bungalow is the way to go) are fine but need a little reno work. Beds are very firm so if your back is like mine, make sure you are tired before retiring. Two great pools. Price was around $180/day so not the cheapest but value for money. No cockroaches or rats unlike many other establishments in Bali. Sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle outside. Shopping is plentiful but Bali prices are catching up to that of Aus. Legian Beach Hotel is on par with the Mandira and Padma in Legian but comes at a much better price. Good value great stay.

Room Tip: Garden cottages are the go.
3  Thank Warren C
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Another visit to this hotel. Was here same time last year and it is still beautiful. This time found the desk staff to be very unhelpful and at times rude. The staff in the remainder of the hotel were as beautiful as ever, so helpful and pleasant and nothing is too much trouble. We stayed on the 2nd floor of the hotel in a superior room which was very clean cool and everything we needed. Our friends that were with us were "upgraded" to a family 2 bedroom unit on the ground floor. It constantly smelt damp and musty and had mould growing in the rooms. It was awful. When we asked for a late checkout they charged $220 USD.
I love this hotel but I wish management would look at reception staff manners and also loyalty to customers.

Room Tip: Hotel superior rooms are adequate. A little tired but clean and cool. Would not stay in ground floor...
1  Thank chrissiemacsmith
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Legian Beach Hotel for 8 nights in late May. On arrival at 2pm our room wasn't ready and we were asked to wait at the bar for an hour or so. We were booked into a superior room on the second floor which was amazing. Our main complaint was that the bed was actually two twin beds pushed together and was rock hard. This was quite annoying as I had heard prior to leaving that the staff often push two beds together and try to pass it as a 'hollywood double'. I had asked the staff prior to seeing the beds whether this was the case and they laughed at me and lied. The hotel pools are both nice and the location of the hotel itself could not be more perfect. Neither my partner or I liked the buffet breakfast and opted to eat out at various restaurants instead. The hotel restaurant itself is quite nice with good service however is expensive. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brittany F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Pullman Bali Legian Beach
Padma Resort Legian
Padma Resort Legian
#2 of 87 in Legian
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
The Magani Hotel and Spa
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Legian Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!