“This hotel was perfectly located.”
Review of Legian Beach Hotel

Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Legian
Los Angeles, California
“This hotel was perfectly located.”
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We arrived on a Saturday and we had a "Beach View Suite" which was beautifully appointed but the beds were twin beds pushed together and we immediately asked for a change in our room to a king size bed but there were only 9 rooms of this type and they were booked for the entire time we were there so we made the best of this situation! The room was otherwise beautiful and i would not hesitate to book this same room again if the king bed wasn't available.
The breakfast buffet was very good and the selection was enormous --- all cultures represented -- and the service was good! Each morning the staff bowed to us as we arrived and it was so sweet and welcoming!
The hotel was located in between Kuta and Seminyak and there was a road next to the beach and you could walk to the other areas without worrying about cars or motorcycles which was soooo nice.
The only negative was that the internet was way too expensive at 100,000 rupiahs for a 24 hour period --so we went across the street and paid 10,000 rupiahs for an hour when ever we wanted!
We hired a van from the resort with a driver and we were so fortunate to get a driver who was a former guide who had matured and was just a driver now but he still treated us to a fully escorted tour and we felt so lucky! Wayan Raja which means in his family he was the 5th son in his family , was exceptionally well qualified to show us around and took us to a number of wonderful sites nd showed us the inside view rather than the tourist view!
We played golf 3 times and had a wonderful experience at Nirwana Golf Club! The caddies were alot of fun--all women and very helpful reading putts and picking the appropriate club for any given shot.
The pool area was gorgeous and the beach area was everything we expected--fun and the people were very nice and accommodating and I bought a number of bracelets and necklaces.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Legian Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2010
Dear LayneFick,

Thank you for your time reviewing Legian Beach Hotel, we are glad that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am also pleased to let you know that we now provide complimentary internet connection in all our F&B outlets, sundecks as well as pools side areas and we hope this will enhance further the comfort and convenience of all our guests.

Your compliment to the driver Wayan Raja is well appreciated and he would also like to say "terimakasih" which means thank you in English.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to your return.

generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I have recently returned from my second stay at the Legian Beach Hotel within the last two years. The hotels greatest asset is the location, you are right on the beach and can drink cocktails, watch the sun go down, and not be bothered by hawkers or anyone except the barman Choco who will top up your drink! The hotel grounds are absolutely amazing, so beautiful and extremely clean! My first visit I stayed in a family unit on the ground floor which was lovely and clean, had a great front courtyard, perfect for a drink with friends and to watch people walk by and have a chat, any my recent stay I had a deluxe room which was on the third floor. It wasn't the best location of the hotel, but the room most importantly was still very clean and was made up beautifully each and every day. No there wasn't any view, but surely there are better things to do in Bali than sit on your balcony for hours on end? The shower was probably the worst thing, wasn't a great stream of constant hot water, was either very cold or very hot, but it wasn't that bad. The hotel may not be the best hotel for families, but if parents are travelling with families, then they should maybe focus on a hotel that has a kids club. The breakfast every day was fantastic, ate at all the restaurants and the food was terrific. The cocktails at the pool bar are pretty much western price, but that is the same at every hotel in Bali, pretty much everyone knows hotel prices are a little more expensive, but it's fun, and that's what holidays should be about. I travelled in a group of 10 who stayed at the hotel, some of who travel to Bali every year, and they are extremely fussy guests, and they absolutely loved the hotel, would def go back again, and I am already planning our next holiday there in early 2011 and will def stay there again, even planning my wedding there. I think the LBH is a great hotel, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Thanks!!

1 Thank Tantaree
, General Manager at Legian Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2010
Dear Tantaree,

The Legian greetings to you and the group.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and thank you! for the reviews and compliments. I appreciate your mention regarding the hot water so that we can attend to it immediately.

I sincerely hope you have chance to witness how wonderful was the last wedding that we had in LBH and if not please let me know at generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com so that we can send you some pictures and other details.

Once again thank you for staying and planning to return. We all look forward to having you and the group again amongst us.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 October 2010

a very nice hotel, a high standard of service, price / quality is reasonable, good food in the restaurant and also important is to mention that the staff is very friendly and cooperative, in other words, it was good to stay in legian beach hotel !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Dear Hans1954,

Warm greetings from us all in Legian Beach Hotel and we are pleased that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for your kind reviews and compliments.

We remember that you will return next year and please feel free to write to me directly at generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com or to our Sales & Marketing Manager, Putu Yeni at sales@legianbeachbali.com

Once again, thank you from us all and see you again.

London, England
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I stayed at the Legian along with my sister and our husbands. We were initially booked to stay for seven days in the Garden Cottages, however after the 1st night we were ready to leave!!!
The rooms are below average, the netting around our bed was covered with what looked like dead flies and mosquitos. The room was never cleaned properly and the bed was barely made after the room was "cleaned"
Our bathroom was full of mould and even after a shower I just did not feel clean.
Our room was full of Mosquito’s, I think we killed about 20 in one night, I do expect to get bitten when traveling to warmer climates, however my sisters room (next to us) had about 4 mosquito’s for the 3 nights that we were there!
My sister sent some of her clothes to be cleaned and then had to hound reception to get them back, there constant response was "the clothes will be with you in 5 minutes.........the longest 5 minutes I have known as she didn't get them back until the next day. We were also surprised that although the Legian states that it is a beach hotel, yet you are asked pay to use the loungers on the beach, I have never come across this anywhere else. I have travelled extensilvely in the Caribbean, Indian Ocean, Middles East and Far East and I have to say this is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in.
Luckily after the 3rd night we were able to move to the Hyatt (at an extra cost) however worth it as we were finally able to enjoy our holiday.
In summary the grounds were nice, food was okay, staff was okay and the rooms need a complete overhaul.
I do not consider myself to overly picky as I have often stayed at hotels that have had bad reviews on trip advisor. Unfortunately in this instance all the bad reviews are completely justified.

Dear Keen2travel99,

We trust you have had a safe and enjoyable trip back home and first of all, thank you for allowing your valuable time giving us your reviews and I will appreciate if you can kindly email me your date of stay and room number to generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com this will assist us to identify what had gone wrong and prevent them from happening again. thanking you again in advance for this.

May I clarify that the beach of Legian is managed and controlled by the local authority and all hotels in Legian have no access to decide what is charged by the local vendors.

I look forward to hearing from you.

melbourne
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We just returned from 14 nights staying at the Legian Beach Hotel.

We have 6yr & 4yr old girls. This is our second trip to Bali as a family, and my
20th something trip to Bali over the years. Stayed in alot of different and great
hotels over the years in Bali. The trip prior, we stayed at the Novatel apartments
in Nusa Dua with the kids, Had a fantastic trip. Relaxing, good hotel, really
good, big, clean, modern apartments. Great service, - memorable.

Stayed at the Sheraton before that. Great as well.

We are 4 to 4.5 star. We enjoy Nusa Dua, however this time we thought we might try
the Legian/Kuta for the kids to experience, a bit more action, close to Waterbom
park, more restaurants etc. Kids loved Waterbom by the way. Fantastic!

Where not big tourers. Happy to hanging around the pool, for us its about relaxing
and spending time with the kids. We pre-booked, pre paid on the net direct.

Tripadvisor reviews for the Legian Beach Hotel were mixed, some were pretty damming
comments, I was funny about it, but what got us over the line was the price, when
compared to adjoining rooms, its was cheaper and the Deluxe Family Rooms on the
website looked good.

I rate Tripadvisor as very important for us to make decisions on Hotels. I research
alot before booking and we find productive feedback is really helpful in making
these decisions. It was confusing this one because of the mixed reviews.

Also I want to premise this article, by saying I believe in being objective, but I
do think it is important you read our experience at this hotel, especially if you
are considering staying at the Legian Beach Hotel.

I am a cameraman and live in hotels. I reckon I have come to know what makes a good
hotel and resort. And you can get amazing experiences in Bali hotels. No question.
We've always had them!

Our experience at this property was, well, without question the worst resort I
(we) have ever stayed at, certainly in Bali.....guys It was just rubbish!

If you book one of these "Deluxe" family rooms like we did,, you can look forward
to staying in a 4 story apartment block at the very rear of the property, with no
view, sorry overlooking the thatched roofs below, tiny balcony's, dark rooms,
fronting onto the Hotel's service road, and parked up next to the main road. I rate these
rooms at 2.5 star and absolutely nothing more.

The money you pay here DOES NOT reflect what you should be getting. I don't really
care what spin they choose to put on this hotel, it is just not up to scratch.

Our "deluxe" room was not a loft style as we were sold. On arrival we had no second TV
for the kids. Cable was only three stations. One night we had combat with a rat in the room (our room was on 4th floor) The management's solution was to next day put traps under our children's beds. I mean really, under the kids beds! I was preparing pull out the credit card and spend an extra $2500 to book another hotel just get out of there. I just couldn't afford it...

We felt totally ripped off from the website offering to the actual hotel.
We tried to cancel and move to another property. Sorry, Special Internet Price - No refund". I can kinda understand this, but really, we were so unhappy, they should have seen this really the smartest thing they could have done is just let us go. Especially so as they were full!

I read in Trip advisor other comments about smelling septic, fridges breaking down,
cold water and mosquito’s. We had smelling pipes the main bathroom, the fridge
broke down, we had cold water and or kids got hammered with mosquitos. True to all.
If I was paying $75 a night maybe acceptable, not $220+ US a night!

The attitude of front of house was just poor. Really poor. I just reckon this place
is constantly on the back foot with unhappy guests. You can just see it in the
attitude and defensiveness of the reception staff in attending these issues. I read
in a review do not deal with front of house - go straight to manager. True. Very
true. Here's an example

When trying to move apartments because of the rodent issue, we were told the manager was available not until after 5pm. This was around1pmish. My wife said she would wait. Low an behold, 15 minutes later the manager appeared from behind the reception wall.

Finally they came back and offered us bungalow. We were just happy to get out of
that frigg'n apartment block. So for the remainder holiday we (my wife & I and two
kids) all shacked up in a bungalow allocated for a couple. Nice one Legian Beach Hotel!

It was a completely wasted holiday for me. Just hated every bit of this hotel experience. There was no life in this hotel.

And that's what a resort hotel is all about. An experience...

In summary can I suggest if you want to stay in this part of town, just check out the
Bali Padma (two properties down), we will stay there next time for sure. It had a great
kids club. 70 channels of cable, Free Internet, great pools, great property, friendly happy staff, good food. Everything you want and expect when you pay good $$. We had friends
there for a week with us, so we just hung out with them there instead of our own hotel. I think that just says it all. And I can tell you the Padma is an true Bali Hotel experience..

Or even the hotel next-door Mandira. We asked people staying there what is was like
and they were all very happy.

I can tell you we were definitely p.ssed off. Filthy on this hotel especially at the the way it is promoting its star rating on the net....

OK lets make the best of it.

Having two pools were good and the kids pool area was fine. We didn't have any
issues getting chairs. Kids loved the pools. That’s about it!

Rooms 1 out of 10
Staff Attitude 2 out of 10 (except for Manager - she at least tried).
Food - accetable, but be at breakfast before 8am otherwise it gets busy and food runs low.
Grounds - Very average by Bali Resort Standards
Facilities - Very Average
Kids Club - None
Internet - You pay lots, by a prepaid sim card
Cable TV - 3 stations
Mosquito’s - Yes a problem
Attitude - 0
...
All I would stay is please don't waste your money especially if you are going to stay in a room at the back of this hotel. If you don’t care about this sort of stuff then fine, but
when you’re paying upward of $200US a night then you deserve more. You deserve a great resort experience. Guest friendly, willing to bend over backwards to esnure your experience was memorable.

I just think this hotel is focused on revenue and not the guest. And to be frank, I find the whole "I am sorry you didn't have a great experience at out hotel" comments at the end of the dissatisfied reviews on trip advisor offensive.

For our family, we would never ever consider going back to this hotel and we will certainly ensure that anyone who is considering staying here understands though experience what they will get.....a pathetically poor standard hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
15 Thank rw0010
, General Manager at Legian Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2010
Dear Family RW0010,

First of all, thank you for allowing your valuable time reviewing our hotel and for us all it is very important that we take necessary actions on any constructive feedbacks, comments and suggestions.

To clarify few things however, we will highly appreciate if you could write to me directly at generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com

Again, thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a wonderful time back home.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2010

This was our 1st and last stay at the Legian Beach Hotel. Breakfast was reasonable and the only change was the potatoes every 2 days. The breakfast area is very small and cannot cope with the crowds. I emailed constantly before our arrival re a room close to the pool BUT I didn't tell them I wanted queen size beds so we had to put 2 single beds together. One would expect when a couple is booking a queen bed would be the order of the day.
Cocktails at the bar - oh my god almost sent us broke they were so expensive.Only did it once then drank our own drinks on our porch.
Don't use the laundry unbelievably expensive - they charge you to iron your underwear and bras.
The staff are friendly. Arif the manager has high hopes for upgrades to the buildings.
Showers are over the bath - very dangerous when stepping out onto slippery shiny wet tiles.
The deluxe garden bungalows are very small for the price and bathrooms very small.
Cleanliness quite good.
Overall our room was very old and dated. and we were disappointed.

Just not up to a 4 star standard.
I wouod recommend the hotel but with all the warnings.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Legian Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2010
Dear Travellinggirl59,

Thank you for your review on Legian Beach Hotel regarding your recent stay which we much appreciate, it is clear that we have not impressed you this time.

However, as you have kindly mentioned about our refurbishment plan, along with that is the total change of the bedding configuration where we will have more double bedded rooms compared to the present.

Your input on our breakfast and pricing system are most welcome, we will seriously look into it and adjustment will be made as possible.

Once again, thank you for your valuable time reviewing Legian Beach Hotel which will help us to improve our quality of products and services.

We look forward to a future chance to serve you better.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2010

I was then taken to the room and shocked at how tiny it was. I couldn't believe how crammed we were, basically my friend and I were virtually sleeping on top of each other. What worried me the most was the fact that a few days later we were somehow meant to fit 3 people in the room.

Our toilet wasn't flushing and when reported someone turned up within 10min, unfortunately the toilet repeatedly blocked and every time reported it was 'fixed'.

When we switched guests the hotel didn't have any of the other names on record, although I had deliberately emailed the hotel a couple of times.

The grounds were spectacular and breakfast was delicious, unfortunately due the size of the hotel the staff didn't really get to know you personally.

Overall the hotel was average, way overpriced for what you actually get. I won't be staying at Legian Beach Hotel again - I'm heading back to Puri Raja!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Dear fgs_1979

Sunny greetings from Legian Beach Hotel and thank you for your review.

We understand that you have not truly enjoyed your recent stay and in order for us to do adjustment and rectify the space issue you have kindly mentioned, I will be appreciated if you could email me the room number you have been given during your recent stay.

Thank you for your compliment on our breakfast and the grounds, we appreciate it.

Your feedback on our pricing, like other reviews, is well appreciated and we will look into it for adjustment as possible.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you and having a better opportunity to serve you.

Kind regards,

generalmanager@legianbeachbali.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Padma Resort Legian
Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana
The Bandha Hotel & Suites
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection

Been to Legian Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!