“Lovely resort but wouldn't go back.”

Padma Resort Legian
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Legian
Adelaide, Australia
“Lovely resort but wouldn't go back.”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Last trip to Bali we stayed in Nusa Dua and had a great holiday. We wanted to escape Christmas in Bali. This time we thought we would try Legion/Seminyak area. This resort came very highly recommended from several friends so thought we would give it a go. They got us at check-in and offered us an upgrade to a lagoon room for an extra $US100 per night. I said no but they told us it came with a $U60 per night hotel credit due to the construction and access to the Garden Club which has free cocktails from 5-7pm. So my husband agreed. But then they told us the room wasnt ready so we had to wait for what felt like an eternity. Once we got there the room was lovely. The bed was big, the direct access to the pool was a great idea. Aircon wasnt fabulous though, didn't get below 22 degrees which can be hard to sleep in when you like it cold. We rarely heard the construction work. The rooms were very clean and so were the grounds. The staff were very polite always greeting you with big smiles. The breakfast was good IF you went before 0830, after that it was a mad house.

We stayed from 20th - 28th Dec. Prior to Xmas it was quiter, after Xmas all the drunken yahoos turned up and made it less fun. We were very pleased to leave when we did.

Wasnt overly thrilled about Donibu the main restaurant, service average and small meals. Go outside the hotel to get better prices and service. We went to Hitari twice which is about a 10 min walk along the beach front.

The lagoon pool is nice but as it is shallower the kids tend to hang around. This is really frustrating when you are sitting at the pool bar and getting splashed by kids. I do have kids and if they were with me they would have quickly been told not to splash around the adults. Other parents dont seem to mind their kids bothering others!

The beach is foul, covered in rubbish but it is not the hotels responsibility to clean up. If you are looking for a nice beach go to Nusa Dua.

It poured rain non stop for 3 days which made it miserable, then we got sick for the last few days, not sure why as we were always very careful about the food and water. We wont be coming back to Bali again.

PS - get Yakult and take it every day to stop the travellers gastro. All the little mini marts have it and its less than $1 for a 5 pack.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Happy_HolidayerSA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,262)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I like staying at the Padma Resort Bali in a Garden Club Chalet. Access to the Garden Club during the day is great and the evening is even better. You don't need to eat dinner if you have been stuffed with finger food at this time. It was a peaceful atmosphere and friendly staff.
The breakfast is my main reason for staying at the Padma though. It is always a wonderful way to start the day.
The beds are nice and comfortable and the air conditioning is really cold too!
Yes there were actually a few things that upset my stay but I was on holiday so it really did not bother me in the end. Being so close to the beach, pool and a short walk to Seminyak, along the beach or a quick ride in a taxi, made it all worth it.

Room Tip: The chalet rooms are comfortable but being on the top floor is probably better than being on the flo...
3 Thank Jenni524
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We spent two weeks in heavenly Ubud and decided on a bit of luxury for our last three nights in Indonesia so we booked a Chalet with Club Benefits at the Padma.

We had friends staying at the Padma already who received a $50 per day voucher because of the construction work happening. When we arrived at the hotel we were told we were not eligible for the voucher as we knew there was construction when we booked??? Check-in seemed to take for ages, what could possibly take 20 minutes?? I travel for business and can check-in in less than five minutes most times.

We paid an extra $55 per day for club benefits which was a complete waste of money. The club was terrible in every way, rubbish bland food and terrible cocktails. Save your money and buy something decent from Duty Free. There is no mini bar provided, I assume they have a lot of problems with theft (great clientele!).

We dined at the hotel restaurant two nights as a group of four, the first night we had to send the prawns back as we had asked for extra spicy and they were extra mild. They returned with a side order of soy sauce??? We sent it back again and they returned with a side order of chopped mild chili, not spicy. By this time my girlfriend was starving and we all had finished our meals (they had also given me and my friend the wrong steaks which we didn't realize until we started eating them). My girlfriend ate half of her meal because she was starving but it wasn't what she ordered, basically they messed up three out of four meals. We asked to see the manager but the manager wasn't there, we refused to pay for two of the meals.

We retuned two nights later to give them another chance, we waited ages for service and for drinks and our starters, but nothing came. We asked for the manager again but no manager appeared. We waited so long that we just got up and left with staff rushing after us telling us to stay but by this time we had had enough.

The pool bar is loaded with Bintang singlet wearing bogans who are loud and uncouth, not an enjoyable environment.

The Chalet was a little tired, broken lights, tv remotes not working and we could hear the rooms above us every time they moved and every time they went to the toilet, nice! We were on the ground floor which means you need to keep the sliding doors closed if you want any sort of privacy which also means your "chalet" turns into a very expensive cave.

The hotel is in a really crappy part of Kuta/Legian surrounded by bogans, aggressive touts and lots of dodgy characters just standing around "watching" you. We walked out of the hotel and up the road once, this was the only time we actually had a worse meal than at the Padma (see my review of Indo National restaurant).

The hotel grounds are nice and the gym was pretty good, but the breakfast wasn't really anything exciting if you value your health (it's like a feeding frenzy at the zoo). This is the place for the once a year bogan holidays were mum and dad, covered in tattoos and Bintang singlets, bring their kids to let loose while they get trashed at the pool bar.

Two weeks spent in beautiful Ubud eating stunning food and not a hint if sickness, yet three days at the Padma and all four of us were sick the entire time, it became comical to compare each other's stomach ailments at breakfast each morning.

We have travelled all over the world and have been to Bali many times, however this will certainly be our last visit to The Padma and Bali.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Thaiescape11
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had stayed at the Padma before with my first visit blowing our minds... but this trip didn't feel as impressive.. We stayed in a lagoon access room with club benefits and ended up with no direct access to the pool= a small island instead- but was given the opportunity to change- but just went along with the original room- but then wished we didn't as it had a distinct musty/ wet smell that was just annoying for the 4 days we were there, and also had a connecting door which had a connecting door to another family which proved to be very noisy. The staff were once again very friendly but this time just appeared so busy and understaffed for the season ( xmas- especially the front desk staff). The garden club lounge was being renovated upstairs so couldn't enjoy that aspect of the benefits this time-the view and extra space- but will be amazing once all the renovations are done. There is also quite a bit of renovations getting done at the moment but is compensated nicely with the room credit you receive- which is at times hard to spend when you are out and about in Bali.. Overall a lovely resort- but looking around Bali there a so many amazing resorts being built- they will have to keep the standard very high to maintain customers.

Room Tip: Choose a lagoon access room if possible- but no connecting door!!
2 Thank Leonnie2711
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

After hearing and reading such great things about the Padma my boyfriend and I decided we would stay here and it was the most amazing experience. Best decision we made! I have always stayed in Kuta and I must say legian is far nicer and quieter, and the hotel is only a 10 minute walk so the location is perfect. We had a very early flight and got to the hotel for 9am and without even requesting early check in, our room was ready which was amazing as we were tired and hungry. We also got transfers to and from the airport which was so handy and they were very prompt and on time.

We stayed in a deluxe chalet and it was the perfect size for the two of us. The bed was a huge king size bed and was so comfortable along with the pillows that I always had an amazing sleep. The day bed was also a lovely touch and was quite large too. The bathroom was perfect, with a shower that ran from one side of the room to the other and also let in natural light through the roof. The bath essentials like soap, shampoo etc we're also fabulous and replaced daily. Thank god they also supplied us with umbrellas as it was wet season, and we also were given 4 bottles of water each day which was just the right amount. The Tv had a DVD player which was great when we wanted to relax. Housekeeping were also amazing they would clean the room very quickly which was great if you needed to use it and it was always spotless and perfect.

The grounds are as everyone says beautiful. They are immaculate and green, you really do feel like you are walking into a tropical oasis. The grounds are enormous which I liked as I never felt crowded by people and space. We spent most of our time at the main pool near the beach and it was huge, however I did also enjoy the lagoon pool for a change. Although there are plenty of lounge chairs, at times I did really struggle to find a spare one so make sure you go early before lunchtime. The gym is very well equipped and modern however very busy early in the morning so go either before 8:30 or after 10 especially if you want a treadmill. The spa is also beautiful I had a great massage there and it was worth the extra money.

The buffet breakfast was incredible, they cater to every person's taste. The restaurant is so huge and spacious that although there are lots of people there you never feel crowded and the food stations are spread out so you are never waiting in lines or on top of each other. I really recommend the Museli it was amazing and they have pastries, muffins, bread, fruit, pancakes, waffles, bacon, eggs, etc that are all cooked fresh and constantly topped up by the staff. At the pool we ate the satay sticks and nasi goreng which were to die for, the best we have had at any hotels in Bali. I also really recommend the smoothies from the pool bars they are so delicious I had more of them than cocktails.

Overall our stay at the padma exceeded my expectations and it really is all it is hyped up to be. I decided from day one that I will never stay anywhere else in Bali again, it really is amazing and I recommend this place to everyone of every age, families, couples, groups, etc. It has something for everyone! People say it was very pricey but I really don't think so, it is still much lower than Australian prices, I think $9 for pizza or $10 for a cocktail is very reasonable. I was very sad to leave the Padma but I will be back again soon for sure!

My one tip is request a chalet that is on the top floor as we could hear the people above us stomping around at 5am and this was quite frustrating.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shivz91
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Based on what we read from the previous comments on trip advisor about how great The Padma at Legian, and how people shared their stories about wonderful experiences while staying at this resort, we decided to choose Padma as our 'home' during our holiday in Bali for 4 days 3 nights. But sadly, it turned out to be the opposite things, we really didn't get those experiences. Well, at least, we had a good time at The Padma, but not fabulous and wonderful, just like people said before. For us, only okay.
We had a bad and good things about The Padma. First, we were a bit disappointed about the general cleanliness in our room. When we first entered our rooms. The rooms were smelled unpleasantly, a smelly smell. We had to ask the staff to bring us immediately an air freshener to get rid off that bad smell. Our second and third stays, the housekeeping staff didn't clean our room properly. Although they made up our beds, replaced the towels with the new ones, emptied the trash bin, but they didn't mop and clean the entire floor, especially under the dressing table, where we still found seeds from welcome fruits which was placed at the table in the room upon our arrival. Maybe the staff was too tired or too lazy to complete his duties. But, considering we stayed at 5 stars resort, this situation was really an unacceptable!
Now about the hotel staffs; some of them were nice and always greeted us whenever we met them, but some didn't. I had to say hello first to them, then they replied with artificial smiles. Furthermore, during breakfast time, some of them served us nicely, and smiled all the time, but some of them failed to do so. I found the junior staffs were nicer, warmer, and friendlier that those whom called themselves as supervisors or seniors.
What a shame, just because we were the local tourists and the the management thought that we weren't supposed to get the equal services like people from foreign countries? Maybe the answer like this: The Management said, "because you paid your rooms less than those expatriates, you got what you paid!"
Now the good things was, we got complimentary deposits from the management for ordering food and beverages, as for the compensation of the noises from the hotel constructions. As for the result, we spontaneously asked the staff at the front desk, "do we have the rooms near the construction site?" They said, "no, "our room were allocated far from the project site, "don't worry," they added. But, when we reached our rooms and looked around, we realized, they lied to us. Well, the positive things, we got rooms just what we wanted, adjoining rooms with connecting doors. But, still telling the bad things, the front desk staff forgot or ignored to remind us about the give-away presents that we could take.
To conclude our story, when we may have a change to go to Bali again, I still can't decide to stay back at The Padma, until we get a message from the management, explaining and apologizing what we encountered at The Padma. The management must maintain consistency in service quality between the local and the expatriate guests, especially, the general cleanliness in the rooms. A real disappointment.
Yet, Bali still has many and many great and fabulous resorts to stay.

Room Tip: If booking the deluxe rooms, choose the rooms with facing the lagoon pool.
8 Thank Rio Adi W
PadmaResort_GM, General Manager at Padma Resort Legian, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Valued Reviewer

Greetings from Padma Resort Bali!

I appreciate your feedback and have addressed your comments about the room cleanliness with our Executive Housekeeper to take necessary actions for our improvement.

I'm sorry that you feel discriminated in the way you're treated. Please be assured that we’ve never intended to differentiate our respect to each guest. We're striving to give an equal high-quality service to all of our guests regardless of their nationality. Nonetheless, thank you bringing this into our attention. We’ll remind our staff to always be respectful to all of our guests equally.

Once again thank you for being our guest. Please let us know should you have a plan to stay with us again.

Sincerely

T Soerjanto
Director of Operations
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have been staying in this resort for the past 10 years ( sometime every 2 to 3 times a year) and never dissapointed or fed up of the place. Excellent food and service.Padma Resort is in excellent location in Kuta beach and has close proximity to many good resturants and shopping area. The Breakfast is very good and has lots variety of food to enjoy. Staff is very friendly and helpful. The resort has a nice beach too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Vinayakbs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa
Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana
The Bandha Hotel & Suites
The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali - MGallery Collection

Been to Padma Resort Legian? Share your experiences!