“I had my doubts but was pleasantly surprised”
Review of The Sari Beach

The Sari Beach
Ranked #62 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stay here inDec/Jan 2013/14.

I was staying at the Padma for the first 2 weeks and then had to move when friend went home and I was staying on, won't bore you with the long story why I was in Legian in high season for over 3 weeks. Definitely the first and last time for that time of year, in that area. I was totally over it by the end.

Anyway I had a few places that I had on the radar to stay at when I had to move from the perfectly heavenly Padma, so started to check them out. After walking past the Sari Beach Hotel several times and loving the location and the thatched roof old style resort i thought I would check it out. They showed me a room number 12, and it had the lovely carved door entry into a small courtyard and then into the room.
It was very nice, old wooden four posted bed, clean, basic but everything I needed. Bathroom was big.

Then went home and read the reviews on trip adviser and thought maybe I should look again. Went back and checked out the room, sheets, towels, hot water, water pressure etc etc and room 12 was all good.

The other options I could afford were either too big with high rise buildings and not my style or there locations were on busy roads with no gardens, high walls, lots of mozzies.

Honestly you are right on the beach with no traffic, quiet , lovely garden and small occupancy.

Yes, some of the staff were not very helpful and unsmiling, very unusual for Bali but to be honest I just adjusted to that and it was fine , had a bit of a laugh about it. Most of them had been there for 20 years so they were a bit over it.!!! My housekeeper was a lovely guy, very helpful and we had a nice thing going, especially after I slipped him the tip in advance. The reception staff were fine.

I ended staying 12 days and in the staff became more welcoming and acknowledged me by name and yes even smiled.

I changed room from 12 to the upstairs bungalow with the ocean view for the last 5 days and loved the space and view. Again the bathroom was old and I had to get them to clean it properly when I first moved in, the air-con not as good as number 12 but still ok (mind you I don't like air-con). The cushions on the terrace need some mould removed but I just threw some sarongs on them and walla all good.

I did check out other rooms and yes some are very, very ordinary, one had a horrible, horrible smell so strong that I was nearly sick. The ones near reception not ideal location.

I had the pool to myself most days and the food for breakfast, included, was more than adequate , fruit, toast, cereal, pancakes, eggs etc etc. The food by the pool or room service was very cheap and the kids (brothers) loved the satays, nasi goreng, and burgers.

The big positive was they did not mind the family coming and hanging out or having sleep overs.

I thought it was old style Bali at a reasonable price especially for the location. Did not have a problem with mozzies and had wi-fi work in both rooms

I am obsessive with my research and looked at Villas and other hotels and options and I was pleasantly surprised and would recommend Sari Beach to my friends who want a good location, reasonable price and not to fussy.

Its not for everyone but its not that bad. Don't expect to much and you won't be disappointed. Maybe I was lucky.

I

Room Tip: I like room 12
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank mandy05

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is one time I should have listened to previous reviews! Booked 4 nights at $108 AUD per night as had extra bed, left after one night and returned to our beautiful and clean hotel back in Kuta at $45 USD per night. Absolutely disgusted at the state of the rooms - how can a hotel charge this price and give us a room that has not had any maintenance at all? Plus putting up with the hotel's cat that kept harassing us and biting our toes - had to keep door closed to keep cat out, oh and did I mention the mozzies in the room? Maybe they should change the name to Bate's Motel. One positive though - great location on the beach, but to have to return to the ruins of an old outdated room that nothing works and seems dirty, was quite depressing. Never again will I return. If anything, the hotel should refund my money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank ImprovingServices
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed in February this year.... At 450,000Rp a night so overpriced.....booked for 2 weeks stayed 4 nights.....on arrival fridge filthy.....curtains covered in mildew, linen disgusting, towels old and thread bear, TV didn't work, no WiFi on room......food yuk......a shame.....great location....but needs some major work to be done.....

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Lainie2909
NARTA_MADE, Manager at The Sari Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Mrs Lainie,

Good morning, wish to meet you alwasy very well.
We are very sorry if during your stay with us fill not so confortable.
Please apologiest.
Thank you and very apprciate to your comments.
Of course this is to improve the state of our Hotel
We strongly believe you are doing this because you love the Hotel

Made Narta

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The wife & I returned, yesterday, from spending seven nights at this hotel. It was our 14th holiday trip to Bali, so we are accustomed as to what to expect on the island.

We had booked & had confirmed by web page print out - plus an e-mail, a garden bungalow with a king size double bed. When we arrived we were given a room with two single beds & in a back area of the hotel. I complained & the desk attendant tried to say that my booking could not be guaranteed & all rooms were the same price. I said that I would be attending the reception area first thing in the morning & demanding to see the manager. I said I would demand my money back & go somewhere else.

To cut a long story short we were transferred to another bungalow that was in a good area of the hotel grounds with a small park area opposite. However the air conditioning didn't work & it took several visits & phone calls to reception before workmen came & fixed the problem.

We had no hot water in the bathroom & our requests met with no response. It rained a lot during our stay & as the skies were overcast for days at a time the water for showering was cold & uncomfortable. The TV reception was faulty & all channels dropped out for periods several times a day.

To obtain poolside drink/food one had to go to the swim up bar to place an order. No attendants
walked the pool taking orders as done in other hotels. Overall the service, by Bali standards, was very poor.

The hotel is located in a good position & on the beach. The restaurants provided very good food - especially the Indonesian cuisine.

I would not stay at this hotel again. Its location & food compares well with most other hotels on the island but the service falls well behind.

Room Tip: Try to get a bungalow room close to the beach - otherwise location is too far away from pool & r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gutsache
NARTA_MADE, Manager at The Sari Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear gutsache

Good Morning,
Hopefully you are in good health always.
Thank you and we greatly appreciate your comments.
Of course this is to improve the state of our Hotel
We strongly believe you are doing this because you love the Hotel
I hope you are not disappointed to come to Bali. we still hope you deign to come to Sari Beach

Made Narta

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have stayed here twice. Once with my hubby and once with the two kids. Both times we had issues with the bathrooms, lights from outside. ( curtains are sheer ), noise from staff who stay up to do nightshift....t.v on all night in lobby. then the airconditioner. We stayed with the kids in the villa ???? huh. There was no aircon downstairs, bedrooms upstairs had a/c but not for 4 of the 7 days we were there. They just wouldnt fix it. Plus the mozzies. There were no screens but breezeway bricks were the choice of building material. On the plus side the location is private, the pool is nice. the pool chairs are always taken by 6am, not that their that comfy. Please, whoever owns this hotel, close it, fix it and you will have the jewel in the crown.

Room Tip: Room 100 or 200. upstairs and downstairs, overlooking the pool. best rooms there.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Alli G
Reviewed 17 June 2013

If you're expecting the Hilton this place is not for you but if you want peace and beautiful low-rise surroundings right on the beach in the heart of Legian, this accommodation is of good value. We booked for just a few days then negotiated a better deal to stay a bit longer.
The fittings and fixtures are old and reminiscent of past times but it'll remind you of when Bali was less hectic. We stayed in the Garden Room Delux which is very private and close by the pool, I hope they upgrade a few facilities in the near future.

Room Tip: If your facing the beach, all the rooms on the LHS are better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Robert C

Dear Robert.
Good morning,, Long time not hear you,
wish to meet you healthy, Happy and alwasy very well.
Thank you and very appreciate to your comments.
Hope we can keep our relationship on future.
We wish to meet you next time.
Rgds
Management and Staff The Sari Beach .

Reviewed 11 June 2013

The only reason this place gets one star is because I can't give it zero. We walked by the beachside previously and saw that the pool area and garden looked nice so decided to check in...what a mistake that was. The exhaust for the AC is in the from porch blasting hot air at the seats, creating an extremely noisy and hot environment where you are supposed to be relaxing. There is a black mold/film on the walls in the small front garden area. The room looks like it was built with discarded wood that you might see in a scrap pile. The walls and sheets are filthy, the faucets and bath are gross. The bathroom tiles are cracked, the mirror is messed up. The AC leaked badly, there was a huge puddle in front of the door in the morning. The fridge is a mess, no minibar.
This looks like a dirty motel that a drug addict might check into for a few hours, not a beachfront boutique hotel that you would think it is based on the website, oh and the pool that we originally thought looked good was old and you could smell the mold.
Now the service, ok, where do I start. We asked for towels for the pool and were told to go the laundry room and get them ourselves. Checking in and out they were rude, total lack of attention to any form of customer service.
We checked out of this hotel after one night and went to the All Seasons which is about a block away where the room are clean, they give you a card to get towels, you can relax on the balcony.
The only good thing about the Sari Beach is the wonderful, pleasant, hospitable woman who works at the bar, Wayan. She makes amazing drinks and is pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple