“Funky Hotel”

The Spot Legian
Ranked #62 of 86 Hotels in Legian
“Funky Hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Themed hotels are very trendy these days, and I think it's a great idea. Hotels are no longer only providing a room to sleep during your vacation/trip, they also provide a lifestyle. You could choose a hotel room/theme according to your personality.
However, I have never heard a themed hotel opening in Indonesia before. So correct me if I'm wrong, but I think The Spot at Legian is the first themed hotel in Indonesia. That is why, when a friend told me about it, I knew I had to book at least a night stay there during my trip to Bali last week.
I was a bit skeptical about The Spot's area before. It was located in Legian, the hustle and bustle area of Bali. Now, I'm not saying that it's a bad area, in fact many tourists love it because Legian is THE place if you want to have fun. That's where the hottest clubs and nightlife places are. However, whenever I go to Bali I prefer a relaxing, lazing by the beach type of holiday. So staying at the heart of Legian was not my first choice, since I thought it was going to be really noisy. However, I still wanted to give The Spot a try.
When I checked in, I asked for "Union Jack" room as I was attracted to the room design which I think is a bit "Brit-Rock"ish. That room was not available for that evening. So they put me in "Monalisa" room. At first I thought Monalisa room was going to be a room with a replicated Monalisa painting hanging on the wall. To my surprise, Monalisa room is so cute! The room walls are dark green on some sides. There are 3 big posters hanging on top of the bed. The first poster has picture of the cartoonised version of Monalisa drinking coffee, the second one eating spaghetti, and the third one showed "9pm" clock and she was sleeping. Too bad I didn't bring a decent camera with me, but do check out The Spot website or blog, they have picture of the posters.
The room was decent sized. I have stayed in even smaller budget hotel rooms with more expensive rate, so I think this is all right. Even in the bathroom, there's still quite a room to "breathe".
The bed was really comfortable, unlike some hotels with really thin uncomfortable bed that gave me backache in the morning. I was really happy with the Monalisa room.
Since I was curious what other rooms were like, I asked one of the receptionist girls to show me some other rooms that were available. She politely and kindly showed me around. All the rooms in The Spot have different wall colours and themes. What pleased me was... they have popular culture themes, such as "Audrey Hepburn" room, "Friends" room, "The Simpsons" room and many more. That would make people who, let's say, is a die-hard fan of Audrey Hepburn, feel intrigued and would love to visit Bali and stay in that room! What a great idea :)
After the "room tour" (which I thought was really awesome, more awesome than touring the monkey forest ;P), the receptionist lady told me about Fabulously Feet, a nail salon slash reflexology place located beside the hotel (but still within the hotel building). To be honest I've ever been to Fabulously Feet in Sanur a few times before, and I loved their mani pedi, so I didn't mind and gave it a try. It was decorated similarly as the one in Sanur, with colourful lanterns hanging on the ceiling, purple sofas (which are SOOOO comfortable). I think Fabulously Feet suits the theme of The Spot because they are also colourful and funky.
In the evening, I was surprised to find that the Monalisa room was not at all noisy. I slept really well that night. My friend who was staying in the India room which was right across Monalisa room was also saying that she wasn't troubled by any noises from the clubs. I believe some of the rooms there MIGHT be more prone to the club noises. So if you go there as a family or want to have more relaxing holiday, do ask the receptionists for rooms that are not too noisy.
The next morning I went to the rooftop bar for my breakfast. The rooftop bar was not very ready yet as they were still renovating the pool. I had the full breakfast which was : toasts, omelettes, muffin and a glass of pineapple juice. The choc chip muffins was one of the best muffins I've ever had in my life. It was so fluffy.
So overall, I think The Spot is a very interesting and exciting hotel, especially for those who wants to experience Bali's hottest nightlife, The Spot in Legian IS the place to stay. As for the service, it was decent enough. After all, it's Bali. I've hardly been disappointed of Balinese hospitality. They're all very nice and very polite. Since I go to Bali quite often, I MUST pre-book the Union Jack room next time.

Room Tip: choose the Monalisa room, you won't be disappointed. Don't expect the typical replica of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wita86
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Wita86

Thank you very much for your very positive review and thank you very much for your kind compliments. I have passed on your words to our team to celebrate.

Our rooms are specially designed to create refreshing ambience for guests who are staying in and be part of the refreshment for those that are coming for holiday with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and were fascinated with our Monalisa Room, certainly Monalisa room is one of our pride to "re-create" a Masterpiece of a famous artist at The Spot Legian. Thanks a lot for your compliment on our muffin - I will pass it along to the Breakfast Team.

We hope to see you next time and have a good day.

The Spot Team

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed 1 night in Indian room while 2 other friends were in Monalisa. The latter has cute casual Monalisa posters on the wall. (Strongly recommend requesting this room!) Each room has different color combination (mine's blue and yellow) and theme related to room name. Love the bed and breakfast varies everyday, which is great for a few days stay. Close to the clubs and restaurants in Legian, but need to walk down alley to get to hotel. 1 suggestion is to get a sign on Legian street, so that people will know how to locate this nice little hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Miss MellieMel123,

Thank you very much for taking time to write about us here and we are glad that you enjoyed the room and the breakfast. We appreciate your positive comment on our bed and good variety of our breakfast.

Thank you for your suggestion on the sign board, at the moment, our administrative team is working on that. When you come back, you will notice it hopefully in the future .

We hope to see you again next time and once again thank you for your compliment. Of course, the greatest compliment of all is recommending us to your friends and families for future stay. We will pass on your review to the team to celebrate. Thank you
sg
Reviewed 2 June 2012

arrived at 1230 am , greeted by the receptionist, there was no welcome drink, first thing i noticed about the hotel was it was very vibrant and had and artsy feel, andy warhol all over, perfect, inspirational, i need inspiration in my work.
However, the person in charge, i think the manager, greeted me and asked how my flight was. He showed me to my room and told me to have a good rest.

greeted with something very personal in the hotel room a welcome sign, with my name, two bottles of water.

loved the swimming pool and the bar , the view is too picturesque, too good to be true.

one of the best breakfast i had in all my trips to bali, try their avocado spread with corn fritters.

didnt manage to try their foot massage.

will definitely go back to this hotel, very good location 1 min walk from bali bombing memorial, in the heart of kuta, legian!

Room Tip: all rooms are differently themed, i like Tango room!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank john t
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear John T .

Thank you very much for choosing us and we are glad you had a good time. Thank you for your compliments on our room, you are right ! We are creating an artistic ambience and we are glad you find it refreshing.

We are sorry for not providing you the Welcome Drinks and we are working towards providing a complete check in procedures for you at anytime they come in.

Our Meet and Greet Bar is our rooftop pride. I hope you had time to try our special cocktails like Singapore Sling, Spiked Bubble Tea and our fusion food while enjoying the sunset at the Bar.

Once again, thank you very much for your compliments on our breakfast. I will pass on the compliments to our Breakfast team.
I hope to see you back in the future.

The Spot Team .
Kampar, Perak, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 May 2012

It is at the centre of the legian, We can just walk out to the legian street less than 5 minutes. The staff is friendly and quick response to our request. But 1 thing no good for this hotel is the lift a bit small. Other things are good enough.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lavander_91
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear Lavander_31,

Thank you very much for your compliments and we are glad that you enjoy our service and hospitality, and you are absolutely right. Our central location makes it easy for our guests to go around the island and reach a lot of touristic sites and beaches.

We are glad that you find our Staff are quick to respond and we have passed your kind feedback to them. However, we are sorry that you find our lift a bit small (fits 4 persons comfortably) and one of the reasons is our property size, the number of rooms and the thought that we want to maximize the space for bigger and more comfortable rooms that guests could possibly spend inside for 24 hours.

We hope that we may once again have the opportunity to look after you in the future.
With warm regards.
Jakarta
Reviewed 23 May 2012

At it's prime location with only 5 minutes walking distance from ground zero, this hotel is really ideal to stay. Pretty convenient to get around the well know cafes, restaurants, clubs and bars along the Legian area. Specially places like Sky Garden, Maccaroni, Kopi Pot, just round the corner..And we can reach Kuta beach by taxi only cost me Rp.8.000,- or 15 minutes walk. Among all the hotels around the Legian area, The Spot really gives a fresh look, colorful facade, with its unique design in each room. I spent a few days in the Queen Room, which i ejoyed most.. quite spacious, nice bathroom, really nice bed which help me sleep really well. Pity that in the week end it was really hard to sleep till 3am as we could hear the noise from neighbouring clubs till they all closed. This hotel might be the only few hotels around Legian that we can enjoy both beautiful Balinese Sunrise in the morning, as well warm Kuta Sunset in the afternoon from its rooftop. Very much recomended.

Room Tip: Queen Room, quite spacious.., as located on the south west corner on the 4th floor...we can enjoy be...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Happy L,

Thank you very much for your kind compliments and I am very glad that you enjoy the Queen Room at The Spot Legian.
We are very sorry about the thumping noise from the nearby clubs. Our team has taken necessary precautions and hopefully we are in a quick progress to action with the possible noises from nearby clubs.

I hope you enjoy Bali in general and I hope we will see you soon.

The Spot Legian Team
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights partying hard at Legian with friends. The location is dead center at the "Timesquare" of Bali. This makes it convenient for us to go places. Everywhere is reachable by walking. The staff were quick to respond and polite. They offered excellent welcome drink when I checked in. The rooms were clean, chic, and spacious. As expected of a boutique hotel. The hotel came with wide varieties of choices for breakfast and they are healthy. I'd definitely go stay at The Spot again next time I'm back!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Bimmer BP
nregina, General Manager at The Spot Legian, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear Bimmer BP

Thank you very much for taking your time to rate us and we are glad that you enjoy your time in Bali. I hope you find Bali a good place to party and we really enjoy having you here with us.
We hope to see you real soon and explore the other hot party venues in Bali.

Nathania Regina