The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Singapore
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 nites with our 3 yr old daughter. The hotel is very new, clean. Pool is fantastic although it was quite packed on our last day. Breakfast was good. Spread is wonderful. Location not so great, u have to walk a bit to get to kuta. But taxi is cheap. Security is tight. Legian beach is much nicer than kuta. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank LZ_Cheong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Upper Swan, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Stones is new and is very much a 5* hotel. It is more a typical 'Western' hotel in regard to rooms than an old fashioned Balinese hotel.
The rooms are quite spacious,the bathroom area large and finished in polished granite.
If you can, get a 'Pool view' room, much better than the 'Garden' rooms, as you have a balcony and overlook the pool area. The balconies have their own bath with privacy curtains.
The rooms have everything you will need.
We stayed there for 6 days in October and a week in December.
One problem that needs addressing is the fridge location. Fridges are very small and situated inside a cupboard, thereby restricting air, which limits their cooling ability.
You either need to leave the cupboard door open or get housekeeping to remove the door, otherwise the fridge will never get cold. However, housekeeping are a telephone call away and they will get a bucket full of ice to you within a couple of minutes.
The gym is exceptional, large, great equipment and clean.
The pool is amazing, maybe 3,000 plus square metres? It is closed in the evening which is a shame, as on the hot nights you really want a dip.
Staff are all brilliant.
Breakfast is very good and they will serve unlimited 'proper coffee', (cappuccino, flat white, latte, mocha etc) no extra charge.
In regard to location, it is right across the road from the beach, about 100 metres to walk.
It is in the Kuta/Legion area, so the streets are busy and you will get hounded by hawkers once you leave the hotel, but the choice of restaurants and bars in the immediate area is endless.
If you are after a rest, you don't need to ever leave the hotel.
Overall, excellent holiday accommodation.

Room Tip: Get a Pool-View room, they have a large balcony with a bathtub, as well as great views. Garden-View...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter P
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Me and my girlfriend are currently staying at this hotel and it really has put a dampen on what has been an otherwise amazing trip. We are both quite young and had to save quite a bit to afford this holiday, and in doing so decided to splurge a bit on the accommodation. Seeing as we intended to spend lots of time at the hotel we thought it would be worth it. However this has been a large regret. We have been treated as if we don't belong here by the hotel staff. My girlfriend and I have been to Bali a few times before and have never been treated like this. Every time we were by the pool the staff asked for our room number to make sure we were actually staying at this resort. This has happened several times throughout the stay and it made us feel not wanted here at all. Let me make it clear that our room number was not asked for the purpose of putting something on our tab, but purely to make sure that we were actually staying at the hotel. This even happened at the breakfast, we had given our room number to the staff member who then seated us. Several times throughout the breakfast staff members came up to us asking for our room number with particularly disapproving looks on their faces. We just wanted to enjoy our breakfast but felt like we were being interrogated. Clearly the hotel does not cater to young people. In the interest of full disclosure we are both very clean looking young people, we have no tattoos or piercings and dress well. I can't imagine how we would have been treated had we been even slightly 'dodgy' looking.

The hotel has it's redeeming features, the pool is very nice, the gym is well equipped, the rooms are nice and clean. I did not like the layout of the rooms however. There is only one main room with the shower and toilet having doors leading into them from the main room.

Other negatives were the prices of food and drinks at the hotel. Compared to other hotels (which were just as nice) that we have stayed at the prices here are extremely expensive.

My advice to travelers looking to stay in Bali is: if you are young, DO NOT stay here. Especially if you want cheapish alcohol and food for the times when you just want to stay in the hotel. If you are very wealthy and don't mind paying the same if not more for food and drink as you would in Australia, then go ahead and stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank AnonymousG2519BG
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I loved this place! The pool was amazing however they wouldn't let you swim if it was raining, even if it was only slightly raining. Room size was great and very modern. Staff were amazing and the location was convenient. Only let down was the price of food and drinks - $12AUS for a basic cocktail and $5AUS for a Bintang. Luckily there's plenty of other places in Legian for cheap meals and drinks. Not sure if I'd stay again for this reason only. However, had the best breakfast buffet i've ever seen and I miss it now that i'm home :P

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CatJames84
Bhopal, India
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stones is a wonderful hotel in a wonderful location . Its located right near the beach and quite close to all the action areas of Bali . Kuta square is a kilometer and a half from the hotel whereas legian street is also close by ( though not walkable ...) .
The beach is just across the street and a nice area to do your morning jog .
Stones is a huge property with a very big swimming pool .
I found the staff very courteous and friendly.
Rooms are nicely done and comfortable . But the views are nothing great from the rooms . Not sure whether they have rooms that overview the sea ( one can check ) .
The breakfast was absolutely fantastic and with huge variety .
Wonderful ambience in the lobby including the washrooms that were superb.
However my suggestion is to make the lobby more lively and enriching . Its sometimes dull to comeback to the hotel and not see many people there .

As far as the business part goes , they have wonderful conference rooms . WiFi was free for our group and is available everywhere in the hotel .

Overall a wonderful experience .

Room Tip: Look out for Room overview the sea ...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rohit S
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 December 2013

For the last six years I've shyed away from the hotel chains and stuck to villas in Bali, preferring seminyak and jimbaran over the busy Legian, which always seems to strike me as the place for Bali newbies, or younger peeps who want to party it up.

But my 10 day stay here left me pleasantly surprised. The Stones is recessed from the busy road, and offers visitors the best of both worlds. Close enough to everything, yet far in enough for peace and solitude.

The rooms are clean and roomy. Decor is simple, minimalist and rather spacious. I liked the roomy cupboards that had lots of hangers. Thoughtful touches that many hotels forget. I also like that the shower and toilet are in separate stalls. Open concepts are nice in theory. But if you're there for a romantic getaway - Bali belly can be a mood dampener if it happens to you.

The soaps are changed daily in the room. And these specially made soaps had different properties. I particularly liked the charcoal and the ones with the natural scrubs.

The only thing about the rooms though, is walls are rather thin. But it's Bali. You usually will be out of the room most of the time.

The best thing about the hotel- the staff.

Thoughtful and preemptive of needs. The first day I had requested for dark towels as my colored hair that bled blue on their towels, and they readily replaced all my towels for the week. And even put extra towels on the pillows on my bed just in case.

As my friend was sick, they made thermos flasks full of lemongrass and ginger - completely off menu - that really helped.

And, one day when I was headed out, the staff noticed I was struggling with a misshapen shoulder pad in my dress. When they couldn't help fix it, they actually helped me cut it out, minutes before an important dinner I had to attend.

The breakfast was also one of my favourite times. Great spread, with both local and western offerings by the pool side. Fresh juices. And small bottles too that you can take out for your day.

The food at the hotel generally is very good. I would suggest the make your own salads for the health conscious. And the oreo ice cream cookies for those whose diets are on a break too- they are to die for.

The lomi-lomi, a refreshing mocktail they have that tastes like a local take on a virgin margarita, fast became my favourite drink of choice.

Pool is great, huge. And staff bring around refreshments to keep you hydrated as you lounge on pool decks on hot afternoons.

I also appreciated the tight security in the hotel.

But the location was the best part. Walk out of the hotel, and you are right at the beach.

Amenities to the left and right, just a short walk away. A circle k, a pharmacy. And several warungs. There are surf schools, a local laundry lady along the next street.

A huge shopping centre, beachwalk, is barely 500m away on the main road. And if you want to party at Legian at night, avoid the bad traffic and just take a short walk on the small street all the way through to the main shopping and party stretch. It's a pleasant 5 minute stroll.

Did I also mention that the hotel has a huge gym for the body conscious? Must explain why everyone poolside had incredible bodies.

This hotel also stars it's own helipad. So I'd you're planning a helicopter ride with Bali Air over the Island (which I did and highly recommend) they can pick you up right at the hotel.

The hotel also has huge ballrooms and meeting rooms which make it ideal for conferences, events, dinners and celebrations.

All in all, while I thought I might never go back to a hotel in Bali again. .. After 10 days at The Stones, I have to say they changed my mind, and I just might return again.

• Stayed September 2013
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This hotel that has only been open for about a year could be located anywhere warm, e.g. Miami, Spain, or wherever. Little to distinguish it from the mass of new hotels and little reference to the marvellous architecture of Bali.
It is set back from the beach road by a 100 m entrance road , which is probably good as it ensures less noise!
Overall, I doubt if the room designer ever stayed in a hotel, as the room is petty impractical:
• Is the desk the shelf beneath the TV that is just wider than a pad of paper, or is it the shaky circular pedestal table? Neither have any direct lighting, so you sit in a shadow when working on the computer or writing
• There are just two small shallow drawers to store clothes and no shelves anywhere inside the wardrobe. There is lots of hanging space – but not all guests want to hang their folded clothes, etc.; barely adequate for one person, but certainly not two.
• The bedside stands have shallow drawers that are not even deep enough to take a decent paperback!
• The stand for the suit case is located within the wardrobe – but it is hardly deep enough to allow the sliding doors to be closed when the case is laid flat (to store clothes, etc. that you cannot put in the small drawers – see above.) Also when unpacking the case on arrival, the fact you have to keep the wardrobe sliding door open to empty the case means that you cannot open the other door of the wardrobe to store your clothes.
• The shower is great (but no bath), it has a large shower head in the ceiling – but why are the heat controls, etc. placed at the back of the cubicle so that you are drenched with cold water every time you turn it on!
• The lead on the kettle is very short and it can only be plugged into one socket – unfortunately, this is just below the “desk” drawer – so you have to be careful not to spill the contents of the kettle when you open the drawer.
• Only small cups provided in the room – great for the useful coffee machine, but not so good for making a decent cup of tea!
The spa offers great value and the staff are very helpful here and throughout the hotel - but one expects that in Bali where the service culture comes naturally and everyone is so friendly.

Room Tip: A number of rooms have a bath on the balcony which overlooks the pool - great idea but completely i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business