“Great experience !”

Sun Island Hotel & Spa
Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed 22 August 2014

It was a great experience through my 6 days stay in Sun Island Legian. Was very please with how they prepared a birthday cake for my fiancé upon checking into our suite (room 207). Room was clean but it's a little noisy as the hotel next door is under some construction still. Simple spread for breakfast. Great value, great friendly staff, great location. Can't ask for more!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Met with tasty mocktails on arrival at 12:30am got us off to a good start along with some Bintang :)

There are four floors of rooms with lift and stair access to all of them as well as security gates (room keycard access) which is a nice touch - just don't forget your room key. The rooms were nice with comfy beds and nice size shower. Even the room service food was good and I'm not normally a fan of room service food. I liked that the mini bar wasn't full of their own stuff which left plenty of room to stock it with my own.

The employees there are very friendly and helpful, nothing was ever too much trouble. Although I don't get them to clean my room every day (I like to give them a break) they always insisted on doing it but I won the battle.

The level 3 infinity pool is really nice with plenty of places to kick back and relax (couches, sun beds, etc) and a simple swim up bar. The cocktails were always pretty good and well priced (for a hotel). Try out the watermelon delight (check out my photos below). The level 5 pool was nice too, not so much cover so plenty of sun and it's a bit quieter up there.

I'd definitely stay here again, recommended for couples, friends, solo. Families should still enjoy it but I wouldn't call it a 'family hotel', ie. nothing specific for kids.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are quietest
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
SunIslandHotelLegian, Public Relations Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Dear PeteWernicke,

Greetings from vibrant Legian!

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Sun Island Hotel & Spa Legian. I am delighted to know that you had a fantastic time throughout your stay. Thank you for your kind word about our facilities and our staff. Your descriptions of our facilities are appreciated as they will surely help other travelers have better idea of what to expect when staying with us. Our team is looking forward to your next stay!

All the best,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

From the moment we were warmly greeted at Sun Island Legian, I was impressed. While our room was not ready as we were quite early, we were invited to sit by the pool while it was prepared. There are actually two pools at this property. The first pool is an infinity style pool which has sweeping views of the bustling street below. The second pool is located on the roof top and is the perfect place to watch the sunset and enjoy cocktails in the evening.

We had booked into a suite on level four and I was surprised by the size of the room - it had everything we needed. The bed was large and comfortable, the room was modern, but had nice detailing throughout. The TV was one of the largest I’ve seen during our travels throughout Asia and there was nice sitting area, desk, and ample storage space for our bags and suitcases.

The room is open style, but designed in such a way to remain private. I loved the robes and the double basins - a very nice touch. There was a 'rain' style shower and a nice bathtub to soak in as well as bubble bath and bath salts.

We were very comfortable in our room and probably spent a little more time than we should have. The location is perfect, walking distance to the beach, a large mall and shops and restaurants are lining the main street.

While the Balinese are some of the most warm and friendly people I’ve ever met, the staff at Sun Island took it a step further. I noticed that the majority of the staff were quite young, they seemed to genuinely be proud of their work and happy to be there. It was a really nice atmosphere and I felt like I was a world away from the busyness of the street outside. I was also like to note I saw staff constantly cleaning everywhere! The place was immaculate - nice for clean freaks like myself.

Breakfast was delicious with quite a few options available and of course, delicious Balinese coffee on offer.

Even if you’re not big on pools, you should make an effort to visit the roof top bar and pool to enjoy the wonderful seating area up there and the great views.

I had a slight issue closing one of the doors/windows to my suite and called the front desk and someone was up to fix it within 3 minutes. Very attentive staff.

I had a wonderful stay and thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean, modern, comfortable hotel with EXCELLENT service.

Room Tip: Suites are worth it! It was luxurious!
2  Thank Izyb
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband & I (mid to late 40s) stayed at the Sun Island Legian for 7 nights and whilst the hotel itself was new, courteous staff and good facilities, we were in room 401 and it was noisy... all the time! Right next door to the Love F Hotel which had flashing neon lighting and House music until all hours but worst still our room was right next to their air-conditioning ducts... all of them! So even when the locals weren't using angle grinders (both buildings are still in construction), the security guards and traffic guards weren't blowing their whistles like there was no tomorrow, it was constant noise. Buffet breakfast was adequate, there is a Spa on the third floor which we did not indulge in. The hotel is right in the centre of Legian, a short walk into Kuta and ten minutes to the beach so location was good if you're looking for action.. but bad if you don't like noise ALL day and ALL night or are just wanting a sleep in. The swim up bar and infinity pool are small but do the job. There is a roof top "sky bar" and another pool deep enough for wading or aesthetics (more likely the latter). The bar itself was very small and looked looked to have limited beverage options. Room service is a bit hit and miss. A very limited menu and even then, we were often told they did not have what we asked for. Housekeeping attend every day but are perhaps rushed as we didn't have our complimentary water (for tea & coffee making) replenished, tea & coffee was only replenished once, all our towels were taken one day with no replacements left and so on however the bed was made and all our belongs left untouched including my laptop which I always left out on charge. All in all a nice enough hotel... just don't get stuck in room 401 or neighbouring rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right hand side of the building next to Love F Hotel are noisy... all the time!
2  Thank RBeckmand
SunIslandHotelLegian, Public Relations Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear RBeckmand,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel & Spa Legian!

I trust this message finds you and your husband well. First of all, I would like to extend our appreciation for choosing to stay in our relatively new hotel. Secondly, thank you for sharing your concerns with us and allowing us to have an opportunity to solve potential problems and better improve our service for better guest experience. It saddened us to learn that you barely had an indulging stay, mostly due to the noise from the neighboring hotel. Please rest assured that our management will do the best we can to find a solution to this reoccurring problem. Thank you for your feedback in regard to our beverage selection in one of our bars and our Room Service menu. Our FB department has acknowledged your notes and will better anticipate our logistics and guest preferences. Despite the letdowns, I appreciate that you mentioned that our location is strategic and our staff courteous. Thank you again, for sharing your experience. I am hoping that, in the light that we keep doing our best effort in giving our each of our guests an indulging stay, you will consider staying with us again in your next Bali getaway.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Good location, exelent service, breakfast is ok (nothing special), pool is nice, very good value for the money. The day of the check out they ofered us to use the showers of the spa anytime before we left at night, which was a nice gesiture of them. The rooms are not super big but big enough ,some are a little bit noise but they seem to care about that as they leave ear plgus on the side table. I definitely recomend it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
SunIslandHotelLegian, Public Relations Manager at Sun Island Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Dear Gustavo L,

Greetings from the lively side of Bali!

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Sun Island Hotel & Spa Legian. I am delighted to know that you had an overall satisfying stay. We appreciate your comment in regard to the breakfast options; we will use yours as a reference in our effort to improve our service. Thank you for considering us value for money and recommending us to other travelers. We definitely look forward to your return!

All the best,

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

After a heavily delayed flight and a 3 am arrival, the sight of our hotel filled me with pure relief. It's a beautiful place, we were shown to the reception area and welcomed by a lovely staff member named Sandy who was very helpful and friendly, as were all the staff I encountered in the hotel. The room was small but very clean and very comfortable. The pools are absolutely gorgeous with wonderful views and attentive waiters, and the staff at the front desk gave us great advice and helped us with everything we needed. There were people constantly cleaning the rooms and the rest of the hotel, I even witnessed one polishing the doorframe which gave me a lot of confidence in the hygiene of my room, not that I had any reason to doubt it! I can't fault this place, and when I return to Legian I will be gladly staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Nina F,

Greetings from the island of the sun!

First of all, allow me to extend our deepest thanks to you for choosing to stay in our relatively new hotel. Your positive review has been shared among our team members, who will continue delivering service that will last in our guests' memory. What mattered most for us, though, was the fact that you spent an amazing vacation, and you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from our top quality rooms to other facilities. The family of Sun Island Hotel & Spa Legian looks forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel with amazing staff. Everybody was so friendly and the service was great. Clean, comfortable and well maintained rooms with great hotel facilities. Spent an entire day by the amazing rooftop pool and had three nice breakfasts in the dining area. Location is great for everything, yet the hotel is not chaotic or loud. There are roosters living next door, but this is fairly common in Bali and did not bother us. If you are a light sleeper they do provide ear plugs in the bedside drawer which we did not use. Could not speak more highly of this hotel. If they were to improve I could only suggest perhaps a gym? Although not everyone would agree with me on that!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sarah_meow

Dear Sarah_meow,

Greetings from Sun Island Hotel & Spa Legian!

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay, and I hope this message finds you in good spirit. I am pleased to learn that you had such a fantastic time with us (and you found the neighbor's rooster not too annoying). We are all ecstatic knowing that we could live up your expectation. Thank you for sharing the details of your stay, and recommending us to other travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Cheers,