“poor hotel”
Review of Sayang Maha Mertha

Sayang Maha Mertha
Ranked #83 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed 1 March 2012

the photos of hotel are very nice,but the true is different.the cheapest rooms are small and simble,only fun and cold water but the balkony is nice.the breakfast is really poor.the center is close and the stuff is good

Room Tip: rooms on the right side cost about 22 euro but are very nice
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Sayang Maha Mertha

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The location is okay and the staff was really friendly. Booked only 1 night in the cheapest room (usd 18) and it was enough. It was worse than I expected. it was very dark and extremely smelly. it was okay for 1 night but still never again. otherwise they of course have more expensive rooms which looked nice. Wifi only in public areas, but the speed is good. I recommend the hotel but not the cheap rooms.

Room Tip: Do not chose the cheap room if you can afford a more expensive one.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adelina_F
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Twin non smoking room booked. Free pickup from Airport confirmed by separate email by the hotel. We (2 women) arrived in Bali at 11:30PM. After waiting until after midnight for the promised hotel pickup we took alternate transport . The hotel was aware we had transport booked as my name was on a white board behind the front desk. We were advised by the night manager two drivers for the hotel had called in sick at the last moment. This does not excuse two women being left waiting at the airport.
It was almost 1am when we were shown to our room, only one bed, but two ashtrays. I asked where the second bed was. The night manager tried to convince me I had only booked one bed, but luckily I had print outs showing otherwise. I requested another room and was advised none were available. I requested a mattress for the floor, which was provided. It was FILTHY. My previous trip to Bali I stayed in a hotel with wooden shutter and no glass in window. That hotel was a five star Hilton when compared to this one. We then discovered there was only one towel, this made me laugh because I had confirmed by email towels would be provided for bathroom AND swimming pool. When I lifted the curtain covering the window in the bathroom I discovered it looked onto another room the same size, I assume it was another bathroom.
By about 2am we agreed we had no option but to stay for the night. When I cleaned my teeth ready for bed, the water splashed up my legs. Further investigation showed the sink was simply resting on top of the drain pipe and not actually attached. The balance was precarious, I should have let the thing drop on the floor instead of catching it!
As mentioned in other reviews, construction was happening at the hotel, this was not a problem, and despite the early start of the workmen the noise was not intrusive. I could have handled it. The room was badly situated, with people sitting in the dining area being able to look directly into the room offering little privacy, this two I could have accepted at a pinch even though it was not ideal.
We were not there long enough to check out the swimming pool.
When we booked out the following morning the hotel tried to extract an extra fee from us for leaving earlier than we had previously booked. This establishment is to be avoided at all costs.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank R0N1CE
Reviewed 9 February 2012

You can't expect much when you book the cheapest hotel you find online, so I don't want to complain as such, but I do want to let you know how we found our first two nights in Bali, staying at Sayang. The taxi driver from the airport found the hotel easily.The staff who greeted us at check in were unenthused and took a while to work out the rate, converting USD to IDR minus the deposit we had paid online. We stayed in the cheapest room as the others were all booked - on the 2nd floor (and no lift) so not ideal in the heat, however we did have a pleasant view over the pool and further afield and a wee balcony from which to enjoy it. (Personally, I travel light and would climb a few stairs for a view anyday so I wasn't bothered).The bathroom smelt bad. It stunk really, I remember trying to hold my breath whenever using it - and don't ask me about the shower pressure/temperature because we didn't use the shower there due to the smell. The room was large enough, sparse and the beds fine to sleep on,but being in a fan room the sound of the fan and the inadequate cooling it offered made a good sleep difficult. Breakfast was good and included in the room price. Not a wide variety to choose from but friendly staff would take your order while you sat in the relaxing restaurant area and bring you your freshly cooked breakfast and fruit. The meals there were good and reasonably priced, I remember getting gado gado, so yum, cheap and big - I couldn't finish it all. The bar was great to drink at, cheap drinks and the staff so friendly and happy to chat, they even let you put your ipod on over their speakers. The people staying there seemed to be young, friendly, easy going types. The pool was clean and sometimes there were ladies offering massages by the pool. The location is great, you can walk to the beach and its only a quick scooter ride to the part of Kuta where the Bounty and other bars are. Friends staying in the aircon rooms said they were much better and I'ld never go back and stay in a fan room again but I would have no quams about staying in slightly more expensive room. Its a cheap hotel and you get what you pay for - when you're only in your room for a few hours at night it doesn't matter too much. Don't go expecting much and you might have a great time there.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a room with aircon - fans are noisey and made sleeping difficult.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank xasae
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The photos posted on the Agoda website DO NOT reflect the style of rooms at all. The options for this hotel is a standard room with fan, standard room with air conditioning and deluxe room with air conditioning. The photos shown on the website only reflect the deluxe rooms, although even the standard rooms have the same photo.

In addition, there is no hot water in any of the standard rooms, even though the Agoda website mentions hot/cold water for the standard room. This is INCORRECT. Only the deluxe rooms have hot water. Standard with fan and a/c have no hot water.

Agoda also mentions that ALL rooms have bathtub, desk and television, balcony/terrace. The standard rooms with fan and a/c have no bathtub, no desk, no television and no balcony or terrace. These rooms do not even have a sink.

Whilst listed as a basic room, the bathroom was tiny with only a handheld shower over the toilet. There was no sperate toiltet. Every time you showered, the toilet and bathroom got completely wet.

We thought we had booked a simple clean double room with private bathroom and fan, however when we got there, we saw an old, run down room with no tv, no desk, no bathtub, no hot water, no balcony/terrace and two twin beds.

The hotel told us that when we made our booking, we did not specify that we wanted one bed. Although, Agoda website clearly shows a double bed in the photo when you book a standard room.

I would never book this hotel again, unless I can book the deluxe room on a website that shows deluxe clearly. Anything else and you will end up in a standard room with a/c which is equally as old.

I believe that if you book a superior room as listed on Agoda, you are actually booking a standard room with a/c which is just as bad as a standard room with fan.

The only plus about this hotel is its location, near to everything but off the main strip so quieter.

People were okay. Hotel is run down but at least the pool was clean, although the sun lounges and table were pretty much all broken or stained.

I would only book this hotel if I was staying for under 5 days and only in a deluxe room.

Room Tip: Only book a deluxe room in this hotel and nothing more than US$30 as when we spoke to others staying...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CubaDreaming4
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed here in September for 7 nights...I had a room in the old part which was very spacious and a fabulous price Room 201..$37.50 AU per night..The food is very cheap and quite nice.cheaper than out on the street so is the Bintang....Breakfast is free and leaves alot to be desired but you can order what you like at a very small price difference....The staff are friendly expecially the young trainees....Pool area is small but great service and they will play your CD's for you ..Please don't hurt yourself ..like I did ...The tap fell off giving me a huge bruise but they were only worried about fixing it than saying ..."are you alright"....If your looking for central and don't want to pay too much then this one I recommend...I go back in several weeks but staying elswhere...OK but once was enough....

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MareeHyde
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I booked this room and they put me in the old part of the hotel. As per previous email nice before i paid and rude after, the owners son that is.
Do not book any room there are hundreds of hotels in bali with occupancies low because of world policital climate, find one on legian opposite side of bintang supermarket.
Towel was dirty, no hot water, bed linen not changed for weeks, shower head like one you use in toilet about 4 foot high, ac not working, and bathroom very smelly.
If you pay more than 10 dollars for this place you are crazy.
On a positive note breakfast was good.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Bali Ra Airport Hotel
Novotel Bali Ngurah Rai Airport
Vilarisi Hotel
Vilarisi Hotel
#75 of 87 in Legian

Been to Sayang Maha Mertha? Share your experiences!