“Happy to recommend this one!”
Review of Garden View Resort

Garden View Resort
Ranked #75 of 86 Hotels in Legian
Perth, Australia
“Happy to recommend this one!”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I stayed at a deluxe room here at the Garden View Cottages for a week in June 2011 and would be happy to return here again.

We booked online with Agoda and when we arrived there was no booking for us (not the hotel's fault)... luckily they had a deluxe room for us to go into though only with a double bed (I was holidaying with my sister, I love her, but didn't want to share a bed with her for a whole week!). The reception staff quickly got us an extra bed at no charge, they couldn't have been more accommodating.

The room and bathroom was very spacious and clean. Beds comfortable enough, but the pillows a bit flat and over used. The bathroom towels were BRAND NEW, so new they had never been washed, they were snow white & fluffy, but no bathroom mat which really was needed once the floors were wet from showering. The aircon was great as was the fridge. The room had a TV (not a flat screen) and the reception on it was not the best, this didn't worry us as we didn't really want to watch it. The room also had a DVD player. The room also had a great little balcony to sit out on. Water jug for drinking filled up each day. Rooms cleaned each morning, but they did leave a waste paper style bin outside our room door/steps to be collected later in the day... that was a bit strange we though!!

The hotel has FREE WI-FI available around the reception area. Does not reach to your room but plenty of places to go and sit and access the internet.

We did go and check out the standard rooms and they were shocking, most definitely would not stay in one of them (may appeal to the super duper budget no frills traveler but not me!).

The pool was nice & clean and had a swim up bar. The pool side loungers had seen better days though! The hotel gardens were beautiful and clean. We always found the staff to be polite and friendly.

We had breakfast once at the hotel. It was very basic indeed. The coffee was excellent but the food was below average and over priced for what you get. I'd skip brekky at this hotel and go to one of the many excellent restaurants closely situated to the hotel. The location of the hotel is excellent. Close to the beach, shopping and food and fun bars. The bar at the front of the hotel (the Y sports bar) is a great place to drink, listen to music or watch just about any type of sport. They have to die for slushies and were in the process of building a swim up pool bar. The Y bar also has free wi-fi and spotless toilets!.

So overall I'd say this hotel is excellent value for money (if you're in a Deluxe or Superior room). Great location. Clean and friendly!

Room Tip: Recommend the Deluxe room or Superior room only - give the standard room a miss!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank izamay

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Indonesian first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This was our first time stay at Garden View Cottages and also in Legian. My husband and I found the hotel to be in an ideal position. The staff were lovely, couldn't do enough to make our stay enjoyable. We stayed in a deluxe room that was very roomy, but quite basic. The room had a king size bed, fridge, tv and dvd player. The room was very clean and air conditioning very good. The pool area was good and quite clean although it was lacking in lounges around the pool.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2011

my husband and i have been to Bali about 15 times we stayed at
Garden view Cottages Legian as all our favorite hotels were booked out. I dont know how people can write that this hotel is clean and the staff are friendly there are so many better hotels for the same price. First the front desk were very rude and not welcoming we got to our superior room it was ok lots of room. Fridge was so rusted that you could put your finger through the door went to get into bed and the sheets were not clean had blood on them made them come and change them but there was always stains on every set of sheets the pillow must of been at least 20 years old all lumpy, the towels were all stained i know in bali that the white towels can look a bit grey but these were disgusting. Also i have never been to a hotel not even in Bali where the staff walk around smoking and drinking and playing pool. the grounds were dirty after cleaning someones room they would throw the rubbish on the ground outside the room and this would stay there till the next morning. One morning at 8am we were sitting on our balcony when the staff had cleaned someones room where they found alcohol in a bottle and one boy drank what was left in it. Hence i had to call reception at 2pm as our room had not been cleaned. The shower you had to turn on and wait at least 15mins till the hot water came through. Yes some people might tell you that this hotel has been renovated but i would not tell my worst enemy to stay here it is the pits

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lindac_10

Travellers are raving about these Legian hotels

Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2011

After a less than satisfactory experience at another hotel in Legian, we shifted to Garden View. I had stayed there a couple of times several years ago, since then there has been renovations and I recommend the hotel on the basis of clean, spacious superior rooms and friendly staff. In Particular, the reception staff who bent over backwards to fit us in for an unexpected 9 nights and appeasing me in my desparation to change hotels.

Room Tip: Superior romm recommended for US $10-15 extra
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kazm_15
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I read the reviews on trip adviser prior to travelling, and to be honest I wasnt expecting much - but it was cheap and in a good location and had been recommend by a friend.
There was quite a mix of ages at this property, from groups of surfers, to elderly couples..I didnt really see any families to be honest though, i think it would be fine (especially because the rooms would be spacious enough!)
I stayed in the lead in 'Superior Room' as well.

GOOD POINTS
- Great central location in Legian, but set back off the street so you are not affected by traffic or noise
- Basic, but clean and comfortable accommodation with AC
- Great service! Our rooms were cleaned every day ie. new sheets, new towels and floors washed every morning
- Great value for money!!!!
- Pool area was very relaxing and had a swim up bar as well
- Staff were always friendly, outgoing & helpful
- This accommodation has a great location to shops, bars and is just down the road from Legian Beach, and within walking distance to Seminyak shopping area as well (which is a lot more hassle free) All in all a great experience!! :)

The only thing I didnt like was the fact that the windows couldnt be opened and the windows had no fly screen - and that is just because I dont like AC. On check in, the hotel staff had a bit of trouble recognising the booking.com reservation page. They can only charge your card in Rupiah not USD as booked on booking.com. So this can take a bit of fiddling around, and at 11pm when we got there, you never care what they charge you just want to get into your room :)

Overall a fantastic stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jen_84_g
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Suprisingly a Pleasant and Relaxing Stay

Knowing it was a lower star hotel I was a bit dubious in staying however, the staff and the hotel grounds made it absolutely lovely to stay in.

When we first checked in we were informed that the pool was being renovated and wouldnt be ready for a couple of days, we werent informed of this through the travel agent so it was a bit disappointing but due to this they placed us in a superior room.

The rooms were spacious and always clean and comfortable. Great air conditioning too! Friendly staff always made it pleasant to walk through the grounds.

When the pool was up and running we had full use of the pool bar facilities and it was fantastic!! Great atmosphere and the food from the restaurant was up to standards too!!

All in All ... it was a great experience especially since it was my first time over in Bali and once again the staff were always happy and smiling and willing to assist whereever possible!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nelli_Elli
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2011

This was the last minute booking I made but they had rooms on the Easter weekend. The price was a lot lesser than most hotels in the vicinity of Legian beach in Kuta. The hotel is on the side lane from the main road leading to the beach, which is good because you dont want to hear the music and noise from nearby restaurants when you want to retire back to your room. The rooms are little cottages, have AC, spacious room and spacious bathroom. The place also has a pool, pool bar and wifi like any big resort and it is 2 minutes walk from the beach. What else can you ask for? I am surprised the hotel is not so popular in terms of booking. Seems like people want high priced rooms to believe the room is good. I needed to cancel 2 nights booking and head back home for an emergency and the hotel manager agreed and spoke to the booking agency to refund also. I am more than happy to recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Look for a hotel on the side lanes to get great vs
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo