“this is a place i have been to quite a few times”
Review of Garden View Resort

Garden View Resort
Ranked #78 of 87 Hotels in Legian
Reviewed 31 December 2013

i really love this place and know some the workers personally as having been here a few times. i love everything about it except the new recent change of midget boxing. if you don't mind watching midget boxing you can buy a ticket and the venue is at this hotel. i love the sports bar and shopping, people, locals. and most of all food

Room Tip: apartment is the best one then delux.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank tausus0479
There are newer reviews for Garden View Resort

Reviewed 30 October 2013

It is actually the bar, called the Y Bar (or as some say why not!!!! the list of reasons Why Not are numerous) that is attached the this hotel that I find absolutely detestable, the drinks were watered down, (scotch and soda) the beer was warm, the "food" if that is what you could call it was cheap, nasty, barely cooked and just plain revolting. I found the midget boxing in the back offensive, so yes after a few minutes I did leave.... seriously how can anyone find another's misfortune something to laugh and ridicule them for!!!..... in actual fact we stayed for the food (we only ate a small part of it as it was disgusting and yes we said so but it was our problem) and drink we ordered and then left to find a place that would provide better service, cold drinks and better food.

Why not some ask......there are many many other Bars ans restaurants that have real cold beer, good food and friendly service in Kuta so don't waste your time or money visiting the Y bar as it is a waste of time and space.......as to the "midget" fighting some may argue..."at least they have a job" but please lets treat them with some level of respect (do they really have to fight 6 nights a week .... not even the most experienced boxer was hit in the head that many times).....too many hits to the head in the long term surely won't help them!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank tatejune
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I just cancelled my second trip to this hotel after reading about all of the renovations. I have tried to contact this hotel myself and had no response, so I just cancelled. I stayed here with a friend last march and was told on arrival that I didnt have the room I booked thru Agoda and that if I wanted money refunded then I was to take it up with them. This hotel could be soooo good, but the staff and the Binglet crowd bring it down. If the Tripadvisor reports of renovations are true, then I wouldnt stay here as it is only a 2 star budget place at best. You would think after 3 months they would have responded to my emails.

Room Tip: dont pay for an upgraded room as you wont get it. pay the bribe at the reception when you arrive.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We arrived at 1pm and although check in wasn't until 2pm they had our room ready which was great. By the pictures there was rooms all around the pool and others reviews said they had a superior near the pool so I requested one of them. Well they have gone and are now replaced with a 2 story room complex so our superior room was right down the back. When we walked in the first thing that caught my eye was the state of the bed and the bed spread. Dippy bed and shabby looking cover. Straight away a turn off. The bathroom wasn't in much better condition.
We asked to change rooms and although we had to pay an extra $20 a night we knew we would be much happier. We were really close to the pool and the room was 100% better. The rooms are really large. Next door had 2 extra single beds in theirs so that gives you an idea of the size.
The bathroom was spacious but the shower curtain was stained brown and there is a very large step up into the shower/bath. No bathmats, handtowels or face clothes are provided so it is really dangerous to have this step in my opinion.
Out in the foyer was all the old and new mattresses for the new buildings along with all the new toilets, basins ect. All piled up there as you walk in.
On the other side they are either renovating or building new cottages so there is a lot of work going on there too. Wasn't really much noise until 7.45am on our last morning which it woke us up.
There is only 10 pool chairs and 2 of those were broken. Nice pool. Not too deep.
Foyer has really uncomfortable chairs to sit in but that's where you have to go for internet. Internet isn't very good at all. Keeps dropping out.
Room was cleaned to perfection.
Staff were quite standoffish when we first arrived but after that were very nice and helpful. They were the nicest when we were leaving!!! We are nice people!!.
Breakfast is nothing to rave about. It is the type of breaky you have when you just want something in your belly. Not when you want something yummy. Coffee was not drinkable and had Nescafe on it so perhaps take your own.
Bed comfy, shower good clean and spacious. Quite nice and a good location. Has interconnecting rooms.

Room Tip: Not too sure. Ours was room 34 and was close to pool and towards the front of complex. Not noisy tho...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This place has so much going for it if only management realised it.
Its currently undergoing renovations at a slow pace...finished before xmas ?
Pro's - Location , right in the heart of Legian , so close to shops , bars , cafes and the beach.
Staff were very good also. Good pool with swim up bar.
Con's - Rooms need a lift , no wifi in rooms , no english speaking tv [small] , no restaurant in the complex.
Breakfast was ok but you had to go to the Pavone restaurant located next door...we went to the Bella Vista Cafe across the road which is excellent.
Shower was located in the bath accessed by a couple of large steps , not recommended for those uneasy on their feet.
This place has so much potential once its finished...if only they knew it !

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BundyRed
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Having booked three deluxe rooms about three months before arrival things didn’t turnout as planned.
My son arrived Monday morning 5th August 2013 deluxe room available yes.
I arrived Monday afternoon no deluxe room available tried to put me in a standard room right down the back ,it was a horrible room ..ended up with a superior room near my son.
Tuesday my other son arrived no deluxe room available had to stay in a superior room till Wednesday.
What I’m saying is what you book is not what you get on arrival.
Garden View needs to sort this problem out and Hoteltravel when making the booking because it’s very annoying..
Rooms are all being renovated
The deluxe room is very big clean and tidy Aircon ,TV, Safe, would recommend.
The superior smaller but clean and tidy Aircon ,TV ,Safe, would recommend.
Apart from the room on arrival problems the hotel is great.
A good size pool with swim up bar and two large TVs to watch the footy. (Bintangs nice and cold)
Staff are very friendly and are happy to help you out.
Great location in the heart of good shopping and restaurants (Recommend Indo National restaurant aussie owned)
Sports bar out the front which is very popular , noisy but can’t be heard in your room.

All in all we had a great time at Garden View Cottages would defiantly go back there.
It is also a good spot for families with young children

Room Tip: Deluxe room the best
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vern53WA
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed as a family of 5 (kids aged 11-15) in two adjoining De Luxe rooms. On arrival we wondered what we were in for... A large Sports Bar with about 20 large screens was playing an AFL game to a big noisy crowd on one side of a narrow driveway, and a group of little people were having a rehearsal for a "Midgets Fun-Boxing" act in a Boxing Ring beside the check-in counter!
The young guy at the desk said he had a booking for one room only and was quite unhelpful. Then Wayan came along and sorted us with two quiet rooms.. I had a look at the Superior rooms which are a few dollars cheaper, and recommend the DeLuxe.. almost twice the size.
The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable.. linen and towels changed daily. Beach is about 300 metres away, and the pool is quite large and pleasant.
The little things that could irritate: TV is Indonesian (no Satellite); Cold water in hand-basin (but hot and cold in shower/bath.. how is that?); Towels but no Bathmat, no shampoo.
All staff were helpful and friendly, and we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Legian
Casa Padma Hotel & Suites
#82 of 87 in Legian
Losari Hotel & Villas
Losari Hotel & Villas
#209 of 254 in Kuta

Been to Garden View Resort? Share your experiences!