“a nice restaurant to have a drink in, not a place to stay.”
Review of Topi Inn

and 1 more site!
Topi Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Manggis B&B and Inns
asia
“a nice restaurant to have a drink in, not a place to stay.”
Reviewed 4 June 2010

After referring to our guide book we headed straight to the Topi Inn for our stay in Padangbai, and weren't disappointed when we arrived to a colourful, chilled out place at the quiet end of the beach. The downstairs area had plenty of seating space, computers, books and blackboards advertising western dishes and fresh baguettes.It looked like the perfect hostel, and although our room (100 0000 Rp) wasn't the best we'd seen by far, the relaxed atmosphere persuaded me to stay.

However, my opinion of Topi Inn quickly changed for the following reasons, and I unfortunately left feeling disappointed.

The computers were set at a fixed rate, which is completely reasonable. However, unlike any other guest house I have stayed in, they also made a charge for wifi, which began and ended when you alerted a waiter downstairs.

The book swap was a 2 for 1 policy, which had to be approved by the staff.

There were films shown in the upstairs common area in the evening. The guest house also made a charge for this - again something which I have never experienced before. If you didn't want to watch the film this also left you with no where to sit and relax in the evening as downstairs (as we learnt) is first, and foremost, a restaurant in the evening.

The fresh baguettes were very overpriced at 30 000 Rp and came without any sort of garnish or chips. We later learnt if you wanted salad with your cheese it is an extra 6 thousand. Not a lot of money, but you're just left wondering why!

Overall this is a place which offers very basic rooms, for those on a budget, but operates primarily as a relatively expensive restaurant. Topi Inn comes across as a confused establishment, and would work better as a restaurant alone. I wouldn't recommend this as a budget place to stay, you can find far better deals elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Stockholm
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I just loved Topi Inn. Stayed there for a couple of nights in the beginning of March and would definately stay there again. It is not a luxurious place but you stay there for the lovely location and for the atmosphere. It is probably more suitable for the budget traveller and people looking for atmosphere rather than top of the line accomodation.

The whole place is just so nice and relaxed and the food being served in the restaurant is delicious. I had both lunch and dinner there for three days (and I normally like to try out different places) and never got dissapointed.The staff is great too. They always serve you with a smile on there lips.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Ireland
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I stayed here after booking the room through their website, the dutch owner contacted me shortly after insisting that i make full payment through www.paypal.com before arriving. I replied to his e-mail stating that this was the first time after travelling through Asia for 4 months to be asked to make full payment for 7 days up front without getting an official reciept (as it would be through paypal). He replied insisting that if we wanted the room we had to pay total up front. It was near christmas so we decided we had to book ahead and lonely planet / rough guides made it sound like a great place.The following is one of the first e-mail i recieved from the owner:

"We still have a room available for the period mentioned however need to be quick.The price per room per night is 10 euro. Breakfast is not included. For bookings there is a booking fee of 5 euro and require payment in advance. No restitution is possible"

Upon arrival we were brought up to our hovel by the arrogant manager, the rooms were dark and dirty, the place was noisy and the staff are constantly asking you every day what you want to do today so that they can try to suggest more ways of emptying your pockets that they can conviently organise. We found out after a few days that because we had paid up front we had actually paid more than the people who had just walked in and asked for a room. There were numerous cockroaches and you could see through to the room next door because the bamboo laticework had not been maintained. I have stayed in traditional accomodation in other countries but at this place is a bit confused. We also suffered the indignity of aquiring a room which was not en-suite and people who payed less got an en-suite. We payed 70 euro for 7 nights, a 5 euro booking fee (for no reason) and 2 euro for booking through pay pal. The total was 77 euro and we could have got some thing better for 35 euro.

The rate they charge for their room is insane if you inquire in other places of the same standard, one place for instance - The Kembar inn is much better value at a whopping half the price. The food at Topi Inn is substandard and completly overpriced, we ate there 3 times and were dissapointed, we had 18 meals over 7 days at other establishments and some were fantastic at the same price or less. The snorkelling equipment and other such things are all cheaper at other establishments.

I also got this mail from the owner:

"You can be picked up or dropped off to the airport (or from/to any place in Bali). From the airport during daytime costs 30 euro and 35 euro in the evening, night or early morning"

We got a taxi at the airport for 15 euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion the owner is yet another example of an european expat owning a business in asia and charging an inflated rate beacause he has a website and has a write up in Lonely Planet. Also just as a last note, if he offers you the mattress beds on the communal upstairs area, you should know the following. The upstairs area is an overflow for the restaurant/bar and the mattresses are not fit for a dog.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kieranmcg2000

Travellers are raving about these Manggis hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We were drawn to this place by the Lonely Planet's description of it as having a breezy second-floor hangout area with hammocks strewn about, great food at the cafe below, good prices, etc. The food truly is excellent, and the atmosphere is certainly congenial, but the rooms in my opinion are totally overpriced and gob-smackingly unappealing. Between the four of us, we stayed in three of them (there are only 5 or 6 in total). None was any bigger than a walk-in closet. Two had no windows to the outdoors. Most are positioned directly above the cafe kitchen, so you can smell foods cooking and listen to the sound of pots clanging and knives chopping well into the night. They were hot as hell, with barely adequate fans, no breeze, and no view. I saw numerous cockroaches in the bathrooms, and one actually skittered out of my toiletry kit one evening as I reached in to get my toothbrush. The worst part of all was that the owner had insisted we pre-pay for the rooms by depositing the full amount directly in his bank account -- so we couldn't afford to go anywhere else. I don't want to dissuade anyone from eating here, because the food is wonderful; and the rooms are probably good enough if you're a young backpacker and all you're going to do is sleep in them. I would not recommend them for anyone else.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank GlobalAsparagus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
Bloo Lagoon Village
#3 of 10 in Padangbai
Beji Bay Resort
Beji Bay Resort
#8 of 10 in Padangbai

Been to Topi Inn? Share your experiences!