“Ama(n)zing”

Athens, Greece
“Ama(n)zing”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Unique!!!

We enjoyed our stay in this majestic hotel. Service, restaurants, room service, breakfast, pool, hygiene, cleanliness, personnel behaviour, everything was e x c e l l e n t. Our stay though was in October of 2010

We also enjoyed a lot the extra activities they suggest you such as, dinner in the mountains to enjoy the sunset, dinner on the beach (next to the beach is a big pool, comfortable couches, majestic scenery and plants, fires on the beach and all these just for you because by reserving your dinner by the beach you get all these with the discreet present of 2-3 service people that you can call by the small ringing bell!!!), scuba diving, helicopter tours and many more activities that we unfortunately didn 't have enough time to experience...

The only bad thing I can find was the book charging... Oh yes, we paid a fortune, we tipped graciously the personnel and when we checked out, for my surprise they made us pay for a book either 17 or 33usd. It was a book in the room that I started to read, nothing special or rare, and I kept it to finish it on my long way back to Europe. At the check out, after the 'hello" and the "goodbyes", the payment they asked me. Did you kept the book?? On my surprise I asked which book?? They answered me, the one next to the bed. I answered yes. Ah sorry sir we will have to charge you for that. I felt like an idiot. In my opinion, if you want to charge something, write it down, notify the client like you do for the mini bar. Don't make someone that paid thousands of dollars look like an idiot for a cheap 8-10usd that you overcharge... To be honest I found it cheap, frustrating and lowered in my eyes, pretty much, the manager that had agreed in such an idea...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I agree with all the very positive reviews but also some of the negative reviews.We stayed in unit 31 which is the highest on the hill and was truly spectacular in every sense including the pool, the view, the interior and the attention to detail.I have only praise for the staff and the immaculate upkeep of the resort.The food, the service, the beach BBQ the yoga, the massage was outstanding.The serenity is truly wonderful and invigorating.
I therefore do not want to repeat all the positive reviews as they are all true.However there are some downsides to this resort that I do want to mention.The negatives have little to do with the resort but just the fact that flying half way around the world to Bali is a massive disappointment.We are world travelers but have never seen such chaos at the airport nor the abject filth and poverty on your ride to and from the resort.(I lived in South Africa for over 30 years so I am familiar with poverty).If you just want to veg and never leave your villa and fly all the way to Bali, this is the place ! But if you are looking for any activity and believe me we were celebrating my husbands 60th Birthday it becomes tedious.The beach is not suitable for most activitites.The gym is non existant.The stairs of which there were 150 to our villa were our form of excersize.Leaving the resort to mingle with the locals which we enjoy is just not possible.The resort is an oasis of luxury but once you leave its gates abject poverty reigns.Which means you have to have all your meals in the resort.The snorkel trip was wonderful but once you got into the water and had to fight off the plastic items floating (including diapers) around with the fish it really turned you off.The other really downside are the huge oil tankers just docked off the beach.There is continuous noise, belching of fumes coming from these oil tankers as the oil depot is just next door to Amankila.
Again I want to stress that the resort is amazing if you take it only in its isolation and ignore the surroundings.If you are looking for a beach or active holiday I would recommend some place else.

Room Tip: Unit 31.... pool, view and layout out of this world.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ihicks
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 September 2013

everything is perfect : the location, the spa, the restaurant and the food (and you can have a individual and special request : vegan or whatever), the villa, the team very professional and friendly and so one
space in the garden of the villa to practice yoga every day if you want
the spa is open late and the hotel organize for you everything you want like trip, sightseeing

Room Tip: the big one villa with one bed room and another one like living room and a real infinity private poo...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Keeping things brief, sort of !!
Even though i only give this 3/5 allow me to qualify that this in incomparable to normal 5 star hotels, and that rating only applies in comparison to hotels costing this much. This is also possibly still the finest hotel in Bali please read below
PROS
1/ Superb rooms especially the ones with pools
2/ Superb Manager. My girlfriends ear rings found there way down the sink, her poor placement of them in a glass way more to blame than the cleaner that carried out the deed. After a few phone calls the manager arrived with about six staff members to search the room, then a team of plumbers that eventually located them over two days, with in meters of pipes.
3/Superb Chef. The head chefs personalised menus, manner and execution were superb especially for our private beach barbecue, more than that every meal was cooked to perfection.
4/ Beautiful black volcanic sand
CONS
1/ Some and i stress some of the staff below parr. We have a nut allergy, they were aware indeed they specifically ask for special requests prior to arrival, yet we had nuts with a meal on about six occasions. We went to the beach once to use the body boards, admittedly fairly late about 5pm, the first beach boy refused we subsequently went for a walk soon after another older gentleman rectified the situation. Some of the staff also spoke poor English, fair enough as you no doubt ascertain i cant punctuate or spell, in other amans they would summon another colleague to clarify, here some of them just smiled, nodded and i assumed used Jedi mind tricks to make the request disappear (we got bored and left without finding the droids or whatever we were after so it worked) These are things we accept happen in most places but not prior to Bali in Aman resorts. Again this was isolated to one or two staff members
2/ Although i heaped praise on the chef and rightly so he prepared the best Balinese food ive ever tasted, the range of food due to Bali strict import laws is poor compared to other resorts/restaurants in Asia. No world class sushi, steaks and somewhat limited breakfasts. It maybe impossible to change this but if food is important and your staying for a longer break Balinese cuisine may grow monotonous.
3/ No gym !!!!!
4/The ships moored off shore can spoil the view, although at night when illuminated i feel they dont detract too much.

All in all probably the best resort in mainland Bali although i haven t been to the four seasons there, but in comparison with other Amans for reasons in part beyond there control average. Try the Amanpuri the rooms maybe a little outdated but the beach is wonderful, service flawless and food divine, you'd struggle to find restaurants in the worlds capitols to match one of its restaurants.

Room Tip: pool any suite with one
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goofydentist
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Spent there a few days with the family in two interconnecting rooms with a pool. The place is great, the atmosphere is enchanting, the service is out of this world. The only two slight letdowns are the bats hanging feom the palmtrees crapping all over the terrace and the rusty ships that use the sea in front of the hotel as a "parking ground". Highly recommended nevertheless.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here for a few days as we expected this was going to be amazing trip... Unfortunately, it want that great... They did try hard to please us but it is not that we want...Food was really bad as well as the room.

Worst experience in our life...

Regards,

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Catherine O
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We visited the Amankila this past July and it is our favorite hotel that we have ever been to (and believe me, we travel often).

We began our trip with two nights at the Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay. We were regretting our decision to trek up north to Amankila because the Four Seasons was spectacular and the staff was lovely. However, we are so glad that we made the trip to Amankila!! The setting is absolutely beautiful and although a bit removed, it was nice to see a more local part of Bali. I should also mention that the Amankila and Four Seasons are very different and we loved them both--if you have time to fit them both into your itinerary I would highly recommend visiting both hotels.

Here are a few highlights from our stay--

we had a pool villa which I would highly recommend. Upon arrival we were given a choice between an ocean view villa and a pool villa. The pool villa allows significantly more privacy and the pool is a very decent size (it is a true swimming pool, not a lap pool). Also, any time that you want to take in the view, you can go to the main area and sit on the bales.

The breakfast was also a highlight. A few people mentioned that the food was just okay, but the egg white omelet that we had for breakfast everyday was one of the best that I have ever had. Tea time around the pool everyday was also a great touch and the cakes were delicious!

We will absolutely be back to the Amankila!

Room Tip: Splurge for the pool villa! or book through American Express Platinum for a complimentary upgrade if...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveld0g22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Alila Manggis
#1 of 8 in Manggis
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!