“Close to Perfection In Every Aspect”
Review of Amankila

Amankila
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
Hong Kong, China
“Close to Perfection In Every Aspect”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Amanresorts is a hotel chain that I have wanted for a long time. I first confused to choose which Amans I choose, because every Amans seems fine, unique, etc... but after make some research I finally decided that my first Aman experience is: Amankila. Then, I waited until a special time to stay here for one nights or two...

1.Pre-Arrival
Prior to my arrival, I make some email that contains my questions about Amankila service, package, etc they reply quickly (not more than 1 day) and full of information that I need. But, one week before my arrival, I sent a email again, to confirmed my pick up time, but they never reply my email. So, 3 days before my arrival, I must make a call to the hotel. When I ask why you don't reply my email, he reasoned that his network was disrupted. 7/10

2.Arrival
Amankila staff pick up us in a hotel in Nusa Dua area. I want them to pick me up at 10.30 am, the car arrive at 10.30 am sharp, the car was a Toyota Innova MPV. Amankila use only Toyota Innova as their pick up fleet, so you cannot request more posh car. Journey to the Amankila takes about 90 minutes, the driver (the only man who picked me up) who pick-up me is nice person.Because the journey takes a little bit long, they provide reading materials, like magazines, Amanresorts and Amankila information. They also provide many varities of cold drinks and snacks. Finally we arrive at Amankila, when we arrive, about 3 persons greeted us (we don't see the GM, Claudia), no check in formalities here, as they just ask my passport. After some chit chat, the butler escorted us to the villa. When we arrive in the villa, my bag is already in the my villa. The butler also explained us about the Villa facilities, and Villa conditions. The exotic welcome drinks was also served in here. 8/10

3.Villa
Our villa was located near the lobby. In my email, I asked that I want a Villa near the lobby area, because Amankila’s location is a little bit hilly. I do not want to be too tired, so I chose a villa near the lobby. The Villa itself although in good condition, but I think it was quite old. The sounds from old air conditioner was also loud enough. All Villa here also don’t have a television set, so you must call the butler if you want a television set installed to your room (takes about 10 minutes). All Amankila villa have a same layout, and large enough. In my opinion, the Villa here is also lack of privacy. 8/10

4.F&B
Just try their FB when breakfast. Their breakfast was no buffet style, you can choose from a menu. My Breakfast experience here was less enjoyed, because less variation, it seems less delicious, and the presentation is quite long. The view was great as breakfast area is located near the legendary three tiered pool. 6/10

5.Pool/Beach Area
Main Pool here is a legendary three tiered pool. You can see the beautiful Manggis coastline here when you take a dip in pool or relaxing at their cabana or beach chair. Sometimes their staff also give you surprise when you take a relax in your cabana. In my case, they call me by my name and give me a cold fresh ice. Nice Treats. The second pool are located near the beach club. You can reach the pool by walk 10 minutes or take a buggy. The pool is very quiet, much quieter than the first pool. The beach was less interesting, as the sand here is dark and oily. All staff here are very friendly, kind, and informative. 8/10

6.Hospitality
All staff here have a great attitude, I think they love their job, so they can satisfy us as a guest. In fact, they do not regard us as guests, but as an old friend. They all also already know our favorite magazine, drinks, etc, even though we only spoke to one person, they also call you by your name. 10/10

7.Location/View
Amankila is located in east coast of Bali, in Karangasem regency, facing Lombok island. In my opinion the area close to Amankila have a unique atmosphere, very different, more rural and serene than area which close from DPS Airport. Amankila itself is in a back out the small mountain, called “Indra” and “Kila”, so the view from the top of the resort area is abolutely breathtaking (see my picture). 9/10

7.Others
This is the explanation of main advantage of Amankila compare to others Uber Luxury Resort in Bali which I tried before, like Alila Villas Uluwatu and St.Regis Bali. Amankila have a free half day activities if you stay in Amankila, the others don’t. Amankila don’t have a exact check out time, they never ask me when we want check out, they just ask my flight time when check in. In my case, my flight back to Singapore was at 9.45 pm. One day before my departure, in a unformal chit chat, the butler tell me that tomorrow you can relax and have a dinner before we drive you to the airport. It means we can check out very late, even I never ask about a late check out – It simply like going from our home not from hotel – they regards us as a family not guest. Alila Villas Uluwatu and St.Regis Bali even don’t do this. 10/10

This is my first Aman experience. It not that perfect, but Yes, I’m very satisfied about this property. Like Amanjunkies, I don’t want to wait too long to experience other Aman property, don’t wait until my special time, because stay in one of Amanresorts is like back to your home…

Recommended: Yes, one of my favourite resort in Bali (the others is Alila Villa Uluwatu, same owner with Amankila, but different management).
Return To Sleep: Yes, but I want to try Amano’i / Amanfayun first.

As usual, I always include photos in each of my reviews on Tripadvisor. - It's Real Review.

Room Tip: Lower villas near the lobby.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank FSB_81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Spent 3 nights in July 2013. Then subsequently 3 nights in August 2013, and 2 nights in October 2013

In my opinion, of the 3 Amans in Bali, Amanusa is the most convenient (and less luxury - probably just a notch better than Four Seasons or St. Regis), Amandari has the feeling of making you feel right at home, (Staff are sincere and genuine, and you feel extremely warm and welcome) while Amankila gives you the sense of "lost in paradise" - it's discreet, private, secluded, and enable you to completely relax and forget about yourself.

Amandari has more of a "sun" energy - warm, lush greens, village feel
Amankila has more of a "moon" energy - calm, serene, peaceful

Claudia is an one of the most amazing and professional GM I have come across. You can see and feel that she puts a lot of attention and care to the property. Her presence in the hotel is high - she's always around to ensure guests are happy, things are done right. I even saw her walking from one end of Amankila's private beach to another just to ensure the entire beach is in pristine condition.

Everything is perfect in Amankila - nothing is overlooked. The sense of absolute privacy when you need it is priceless, but when you want and need to be pampered there's an army of staff who can catered to almost everything you wish for.

Want to sleep outside under the tent - no problem!
Want breakfast in the private bale on Amankila's private beach - no problem!
Want to bike in the rice field - no problem - they sent you a driver and drive you to the most amazing place and then leave you alone to enjoy and explore
Want to go to a local Balinese shop for real sarongs and crafts anytime you want - no problem.

The hotel is amazing as it integrates local village life to the property. Local villagers perform amazing Balinese dance by the amazing Amankila 3-tier pool; shadow play and fire dance by the hotel bar.

One thing of note, the local staff in Amankila may not be as warm and welcoming as Amandari, but that's probably because you never have to walk to the main lobby and need to interact with them. Amankila is so spread out and so large that if you don't want to be seen, you don't have to be seen. On the other hand, the beach crew can't do more than enough. They leave you alone when you want privacy, but just about when you want something, they will magically appear.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jackson T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at Amankila in June of 2012 as part of our honeymoon. We spent 2 weeks in Bali spread across 3 different hotels in different part of the island. Amankila was outstanding, but very remote. Thus, my only "caution" is that it probably isn't the best fit for very active people that value activities over simple relaxation. I generally fall into that category, but never felt any restlessness during our 5 day stay. From an architectural perspective, Amankilla is perhaps the most unique and beautiful resorts I have ever visited. The view from the pool is spectacular, as it was from our villa - and I would be shocked if there was a single villa without a similarly beatiful view.

We mostly spent our time at the beach and pool, but did venture out on several occassions. My wife absolutely loved the tour of the local market, and we also had a blast on our bike ride one day - which really enabled us to get a feel for the surrounding area.

The food was excellent. The fruit was without doubt the best I have ever had - to the point where I overindulged the first few days. Given the remoteness, we ate every single meal at the hotel - but that wasn't an issue on account of its quality.

Overall I would highly recommend Amankilla. It was as outstanding as its prices would suggest.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean suite, which was beautiful. Some rooms are located pretty far from the common...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here over Christmas for three days of true bliss! The ONLY downside is that it's a 1.5 hr drive from the airport - and they do everything to make that trip as painless as possible (especially the pillows in the car, a very nice touch!).
The staff was superb, the rooms were luxurious, the massage was decadent, the meals were individually designed, and we thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with Claudia and Guillarme and the rest of the staff. They definitely convey the feeling of "visiting friends", you never feel as though you're just another guest.
Lastly, the views about you and the peace of the resort starts from the minute you arrive.
Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Spent 6 days here over New Year and, like most other reviewers, felt that this is an outstanding hotel that met or exceeded our high expectations. We gather that the staff to guest ratio is around 3 to 1 and it showed. It seemed like every time we left our ocean view villa, staff would scurry in and remake the room. This was our first visit to Bali and we were bowled over by the grace and smiling good nature of everyone we met at Amankila. This is a great place to decompress in breath-taking surroundings and we both felt truly 'renewed' at the end of our stay. This may NOT be the best place to stay if you want to get to grips with authentic Balinese culture because it is an hour or so from Ubud and further still from Denpasar and the much more developed southern area. Travel by hotel limo is safe but can be slow because of the heavy traffic. Despite being very busy over the holiday period, we were (magically) unaware of other guests except at mealtimes. Our favourite spot was the pool at the Beach Club. Again, we seemed to be the only guests there most of the time. The tasting menu arranged for New Year's eve was nicely executed and followed one of several poolside displays of Balinese dancing that took place during our stay. We saw the New Year in with a great firework display and dancing beside the pool. We saw a bit of Ubud during an afternoon/evening trip with one of the hotel cars. We also took a morning boat ride up the coast and then across to a snorkelling area - weather conditions made for less than perfect visibility. Breakfast was 80 steps up from our villa but of course our villa was only 80 steps down after the nightcap! It is worth paying for the ocean view instead of the garden view but either way, if your party has any mobility issues, I would advise checking with the hotel before you book because the only buggy service
is up and down to the beach. Claudia is an excellent GM, effortlessly mixing and mingling, approachable and helpful and with a wealth of information about Bali.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 30 December 2013

2013-09 Amankila

Bali means Amankila to us. It was our third stay in this hotel and we totally enjoyed it again. I do not want to repeat earlier reports but the magic this place has is just unique. Claudia the new GM was kind, perhaps somewhat indifferent. In the bar there was a bit of action almost every night, such as puppet theater ect., which was new and a nice idea.

The service is friendly but varies from very good to sometimes forgetful and inattentive. Housekeeping used to clean our room during our absence for breakfast, but this year, unfortunately, we had to ask for an early cleaning every day again.
Massages from Sri were perfect as usual. The gym is small, the treadmill old and the touch screen reacts as its own will.
And yet - we love it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank voyager-liese
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stayed at Amankila as our last stop on our Beyond Bali package . It was incredible! The hotel is stunning , it's show piece being the 3 tiered pool! Absolutely beautiful! We had a beautiful ocean view villa which was located at the end of a walkway so it was very private! The villa itself is very spacious and has everything you would need. The terrace is lovely for breakfast/ dinner. The staff are wonderful and very helpful. The food is delicious and a wide variety of choice. It was our 25th anniversary, so they offered to do us a blessing which we accepted kindly. On the day, they sent a man to "dress" my husband, and a lady to dress me , in Balinese outfits. We were taken to the hotels little temple and the blessing, with a few staff present took 15 mins. All very sweet! We then had our private dinner on the beach which was magical! We also booked the satay evening, where they collect you at about 5:30 and drive you into the hills, to a Bale, where you watch the sun set and have your private chef and butler wait on you! It was definately a wonderful experience .
In fact , the whole time we spent there was magical! The GM , Claudia, made herself available every night through dinner to check how you were doing and to give tips for doing things . She was lovely .
The only trouble with staying at an Aman resort is that it's hard for other hotels to live up to their high standards!!
A perfect trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a private room so you are not overlooked
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manggis
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
Alila Manggis
Alila Manggis
#1 of 8 in Manggis
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Amankila? Share your experiences!