“More than we could have dreamed...”
Review of Puri Bagus Manggis

Puri Bagus Manggis
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Manggis
Boston, Massachusetts
“More than we could have dreamed...”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My now-husband and I celebrated our honeymoon at Puri Bagus Manggis and, all I can say is that it was even better than we could have dreamed! I could go on and on about what an exceptional place Puri Bagus Manggis is, but I will attempt to sum up the key points: First, Puri Bagus Manggis is private. This might not be a winning point for everyone, but for a couple on their honeymoon and for many others who truly want to enjoy some R&R, we could not have been more pleased. There are only seven villas and you frequently feel that you somehow managed to rent your own personal property in the rice fields of Bali. Which brings me to my second point, the scenery. I have been lucky to have done a fair amount of travel in my life and I will be the first to say that the ocean is one of my favorite places – however, I have found the ocean in the Caribbean to look similar to the ocean in S. America to look similar… you get my point. In my humble opinion, what is so unique about Bali is the rice paddies – so why not stay on a property nestled in the heart of a lush green rice field? And, if you do find the ocean calling your name, there is a free shuttle that will take you to the sister hotel, Puri Bagus Candidasa, which is located directly on the ocean with all the amenities your heart could desire. You truly get the best of both worlds. My third and final point is about the service – in general we found Bali to have an impressive culture of service and Puri Bagus Manggis was no exception. From our delicious breakfast waiting for us every morning on the veranda, to our host arranging car service to all the amazing cultural attractions Bali offers, to special touches like fresh beach towels and flowers on your bed, nothing is overlooked. We are so grateful to the staff at Puri Bagus for providing us such an unforgettable honeymoon – it is my sincere hope that this review will allow other tourists enjoy all that Puri Bagus Manggis has to offer.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anna L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This small, quiet hotel has 7 rooms - all identical. Room #7 is a separate bungalow with its own large and well-furnished verandah. It is a boutique style hotel with nice room and bathroom amenities and a well-stocked mini-bar. It has good lighting for reading. The bathroom is outdoor style, but is indoors - the plantings give it the outdoor look.

There is a lovely pool directly across the small road and you’ll be watched by ducks and chickens. This is also nice place to do morning yoga overlooking the rice fields.

I was in Room #2. Room #1 is next door and these seem to be the first rooms to be assigned. Rooms 3-7 are set around an inner courtyard so their view is of a garden. Regretably with only two rooms occupied, they put us next to each other. Walls are a bit thin.

Food comes from the sister hotel in Candi Dasa and you are asked to order your lunch or dinner ahead.

My program included a private cooking lesson and a chef and assistant from Puri Manggis Candi Dasa set up a kitchen on the pavilion. The class was an excellent experience!

Though the hotel is a bit isolated, if you have transportation it is about 20 min. from Candi Dasa. I think they will also shuttle you there.

Room Tip: If the hotel is not full, ask that you have an empty room next to you