“Cozy B&B in Downtown Independence”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Independence
Serendipity Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 6 Independence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Serendipity is an old Victorian era house now operated as a B&B. We were in a spacious suite in the coach house, complete with its own kitchen. The entire place is crammed with antiques which might be a bit overdone for some folks, and might lend an "old" smell. (If you have a house full of antiques you'll know what I mean.) The Trails End suite was full of railroad memorabilia. My partner was retired from the railroad so it was entertaining. Breakfasts are simple but abundant. Conveneintly it was very close to where I was to appear in a play so that decided selecting this B&B. A wide choice of dining choices a short walk away around the square in Independence.

Room Tip: The entire area is quiet, coach house rooms particularly so.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very nice place! The owner was very pleasant, the breakfasts were fantastic, and the suite was spacious and clean. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast. My sister, my son and I had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My wife and I make it a habit to try new B&D's as often as possible. For us, getting to know the hosts is often the highlight of the trip. Our stay at Serendipity, however was a rude awakening. When we checked in, we were asked to pay in advance. The host would only let us barely in the front door long enough to get us to sign the bill. Then it was off to the "Coach House". As we walked around the house we were delighted with the sight of the coach nestled behind the house. Unfortunately our delight turned into disappointment when she unlocked the door. What was once a coach house was, many years ago, evidently turned into cheap apartments. Inside, the coach house, I was not only overwhelmed with the mustiness, but the absolute clutter was frustrating. In an attempt to turn apartments into "Victorian" get always, she frequented every garage sale around. The kitchen was small and useless, the second bed was shoved under a set of stairs, and the walls were crammed with "crap".
Later when we wanted to wash up for supper, brown, yes brown, water came out of the faucet.
I called to tell the owner that I was disappointed and wondered if she had any rooms in the main house. I was shocked when she told me that she thought I was getting a lot for my money.
The following morning we met for breakfast and we were served something she referred to as quiche. Neither my wife or could bring ourselves to finish our plate. After breakfast I brought up the water situation and the conversation got very heated. I was disappointed in the inn and she basically challenged me on my integrity.
We wanted to tour the house but after seeing the dining room walls covered from ceiling to floor with her hoard, I was afraid I would be equally disappointed in the remainder of the house.
Needles to say, we skipped breakfast the next morning and hit the road.
If you like early American garage sale decorating, go for it.. You'll see one of the largest collections of random antiques. But if you are looking for a charming place to stay, I'd recommend shopping around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kathy_radabaugh
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I called the business to find out the availability for a night. I asked whether or not they had a hottub, the lady (who claimed she owns the bed and breakfast) replied by saying I should call around to another place.. there was no room for people like me there? what is that suppose to mean... and hung up on me.... so very rude needless to say I did call around and found another place which was awesome... I will NEVER call this place back nor recommend it to another take her advice before calling and call somewhere else!!!

Room Tip: Call and find another place there are better ones around and for less with highly quality..
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 1 July 2011

If you want to stay really close to the historical sites and experience true history, the Serendipity B&B will offer you that. We thourouly enjoyed our stay and would return to visit again. Be sure to ask for the tour of the house from Susan and Doug and ride in the 1927 Buick. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We hated this place but stayed for 3 nights because we had pre paid. The pre payment policy should have been a clue to avoid staying here. We did talk with another couple at breakfast who decided they would move on to a hotel and forfeit their pre payment. In hindsight, we should have cut our losses and just left also. The breakfast food was inedible and we pushed it around on our plates but could not eat it. It was awful. We had stayed at many B&B's previously and always had satisfactory breakfasts until this place. Probably many people never try the breakfast twice, because she had a note to let her know if we did not want the daily breakfast. It sounded like this happens often and no wonder. We had thought we could save money by having breakfast included and also by cooking other meals in our "suite". Instead, we ate all our meals out because we hated the suite. It was overloaded with clutter and the kitchen was outdated and horrible. The decor was definitely garage sale specials, all mismatched. It was depressing and we spent as little time in it as possible. The hostess was cold and unfriendly.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cristaq
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I was at first sight intrigued by this place but intrigue quickly turned to dismay when we were handed the keys to our room and opened the door. The mustiness in our room, was so strong that we were almost sickened by the odor. We had pre-paid for the rooms and were told that there would be no refund, only a credit given. So we had no choice but to stay. We had to buy candles to light to mask the smells! The room, and the entire Inn was stuffed with antiques filling every shelf, every tabletop, even every window. Bed sheets were clean as were bath towels but I believe they were purchased at garage sales as nothing matched.

The breakfasts were inedible. A good quiche is not that hard to make but the one we were served was disgusting, with a gummy texture. After the first morning there, I refused to eat there again so we went out for our meal. Thankfully we were scheduled to stay there for only two days! My husband said that he kept expecting Norman Bates (from Psycho) to show up because the place was so creepy! We will never, ever stay there again and wish to warn everyone not to stay there. The online search for bed and breakfasts in Independence led us to believe that this would be charming. IT WAS NOT!

I also found the owner to be very cold, not at all warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple