Serendipity Bed and Breakfast
Comfort Suites Independence(Independence)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$126
US$118
US$114
US$104
Best Western Truman Inn(Independence)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$103
US$149
US$140
US$171
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 July 2013

My wife and I and our 3 children stayed in 2 rooms in the coach house. The upstairs room was a bit warm at first but it cooled down to a comfortable temperature by nightfall. The downstairs room was better temperature controlled. Both rooms smelled quite musty. The beds were comfortable and the living room and kitchen were a functional size. We thought the board games and the stereoscopes in the living room were a nice touch. The hostess was nice to us and was friendly when approached. The decor was a bit busy for us and the chime music that played when we entered gave almost a spooky air. The same type of quiche was served both mornings we were there - probably should change up the menu a little for multiple night guests. All things considered, this was an interesting historical environment, but a bit querky.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Serendipity is an old Victorian era house now operated as a B&B. We were in a spacious suite in the coach house, complete with its own kitchen. The entire place is crammed with antiques which might be a bit overdone for some folks, and might lend an "old" smell. (If you have a house full of antiques you'll know what I mean.) The Trails End suite was full of railroad memorabilia. My partner was retired from the railroad so it was entertaining. Breakfasts are simple but abundant. Conveneintly it was very close to where I was to appear in a play so that decided selecting this B&B. A wide choice of dining choices a short walk away around the square in Independence.

Room Tip: The entire area is quiet, coach house rooms particularly so.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Very nice place! The owner was very pleasant, the breakfasts were fantastic, and the suite was spacious and clean. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast. My sister, my son and I had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My wife and I make it a habit to try new B&D's as often as possible. For us, getting to know the hosts is often the highlight of the trip. Our stay at Serendipity, however was a rude awakening. When we checked in, we were asked to pay in advance. The host would only let us barely in the front door long enough to get us to sign the bill. Then it was off to the "Coach House". As we walked around the house we were delighted with the sight of the coach nestled behind the house. Unfortunately our delight turned into disappointment when she unlocked the door. What was once a coach house was, many years ago, evidently turned into cheap apartments. Inside, the coach house, I was not only overwhelmed with the mustiness, but the absolute clutter was frustrating. In an attempt to turn apartments into "Victorian" get always, she frequented every garage sale around. The kitchen was small and useless, the second bed was shoved under a set of stairs, and the walls were crammed with "crap".
Later when we wanted to wash up for supper, brown, yes brown, water came out of the faucet.
I called to tell the owner that I was disappointed and wondered if she had any rooms in the main house. I was shocked when she told me that she thought I was getting a lot for my money.
The following morning we met for breakfast and we were served something she referred to as quiche. Neither my wife or could bring ourselves to finish our plate. After breakfast I brought up the water situation and the conversation got very heated. I was disappointed in the inn and she basically challenged me on my integrity.
We wanted to tour the house but after seeing the dining room walls covered from ceiling to floor with her hoard, I was afraid I would be equally disappointed in the remainder of the house.
Needles to say, we skipped breakfast the next morning and hit the road.
If you like early American garage sale decorating, go for it.. You'll see one of the largest collections of random antiques. But if you are looking for a charming place to stay, I'd recommend shopping around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kathy_radabaugh
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I called the business to find out the availability for a night. I asked whether or not they had a hottub, the lady (who claimed she owns the bed and breakfast) replied by saying I should call around to another place.. there was no room for people like me there? what is that suppose to mean... and hung up on me.... so very rude needless to say I did call around and found another place which was awesome... I will NEVER call this place back nor recommend it to another take her advice before calling and call somewhere else!!!

Room Tip: Call and find another place there are better ones around and for less with highly quality..
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business