“A mid-century trip”

Harry S. Truman Library and Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Exhibits and archives relating to Truman's life and administration.
st. louis, missouri
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“A mid-century trip”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Our visit to the Truman museum and library was fun. This was the fourth time we have visited but this time we had our 13 year old granddaughter with us. She really enjoyed the museum and the staff. We spoke at several different points with one of the guards who was fun and informative. It was especially great that when we bought our tickets we were told that they allowed us to return the next day. We took advantage of that as the timing for a tour of Truman's home kept us from finishing in one go. Being from Missouri I was glad to have the opportunity to introduce Truman to our teen.

1 Thank norms_mom

Morehead City, North Carolina
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Best Dressed President”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I admit, my 5 star rating could be influenced by the fact my Grandfather made many suits for Senator then President Truman throughout his time in office. My Grandfather, Stephen Brod was a Taylor in Kansas City, Missouri. He came to this country from Czechoslovakia when he was 15 years old. In part, the reason for our trip to the Truman Library was to donate letters sent by President Truman to my Grandfather. As well as other items such as Kansas City Star newspaper articles and Western Union telegrams my Grandmother saved through the years. While here, I was able to see my Grandfathers actual letters to President Truman, which I didn’t have. What I did have and donated where the responses from President Truman to my Grandfather. The staff there also showed me some of the suits my Grandfather made for him including the inaugural tuxedo the President wore after he won the election. Along with seeing the public part of the Library and Museum made for a memorable visit. There are always things to learn about a past President. The Truman Library and Museum should not be missed. A farm boy with humble beginnings to the President of the United States.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank seasideNorthCarolina
Tahoe City, California
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Hi-light of my trip”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I spent the past weekend in KC expressly to visit the WWI National Museum downtown, see a Royals' game, and visit this presidential museum. My stop here was the hi-light of my trip.

Admission is $8. You can or should start your visit with an introductory film which provides a comprehensive overview of President Truman's life. From there you follow a walking tour through the building, essentially walking a counter-clockwise circular path through the museum. It makes sense that his story is presented in chronological order. There's so much to see. I was alone and went at my own pace. And being an admirer of Truman, I read most everything I could. I spent approx 3 hours and wasn't aware I'd spent that much time.

I highly recommend a visit here.

1 Thank fallfan54
Liberty, Missouri
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great place to spend an afternoon!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have visited Truman Library on three separate occasions. Each experience that I've had has been positive and informative. I like that the library hosts traveling exhibits in their lower level event space, so not only can you learn about President Truman and his tenure in the White House, but you can also go downstairs and learn about something totally different. I have been to an exhibit on Abraham Lincoln and another which displayed Mount Vernon in miniature. The lobby boasts a beautiful Thomas Hart Benton mural and you can also walk through a scale version of Truman's Oval Office complete with "the buck stops here" desk plaque.

Visited August 2013
Maryland
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A real eye opener”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Learned so much more about the multitude of tough decisions he had to make. Very well done. Great resource for learning before and after life of this "average American" that became President.