All reviews basketball court bathroom suite absolutely loved this hotel would stay here again some tlc baseball stadium stayed for two nights quiet location the breakfast area the hotel staff very nice hotel breakfast staff easy access road trip lots of restaurants short drive royals game
Reviewed 31 August 2016

We had a two bedroom suite and I thought it was quite expensive. I guess with a good location and busy time of the year, you can get what you wish. Breakfast was good. The outside patio was cool--we didn't use but would be great if staying more than two days

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Angela W, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with other travelers! Hopefully you can return for a longer stay and take advantage of the new patio! Thanks again!

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

This is clearly an older Residence Inn. Convenient location, reasonable rates. Room was clean. Common area carpet needs to be replaced. One elevator was out of service for a whole day. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Pool area was clean.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Angela W, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2016

Thanks for your review! Happy to hear our team trated you well and the hotel was clean given the age of our property. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2016

Its an OK Hotel We were limited because we travel with our Dog, and this hotel excepts animals, so that is a plus. Otherwise...this is a low end Marriott. Hard concrete floors covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting. We also got the handicap room, which we were not pleased with, but the hotel was sold out...so nothing we could do. Room was on the small size. We probably wont stay there again.

1  Thank Marcia C
Angela W, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2016

I'm sorry to hear you didn't quite enjoy your stay with us, but would love the opportunity to welcome you back should you allow us the opportunity. Cheers!

Reviewed 13 July 2016

We had a 3-room suite for a quick trip to watch the KC Royals play. The hotel isn't far from Kaufman Stadium (about 7-8 miles) and near restaurants and shopping. We picked this hotel for proximity, three rooms, and inclusion of breakfast. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay. Kudos to the breakfast staff (Stephanie, Laura, et. al.) for their work each morning in pleasantly serving the guests.

I would agree with most of the comments on here -- the hotel definitely could use some polish and a renovation/updating. The furniture in our room felt a bit dated and dirty. The flooring in the kitchen had several large gaps, along with carpeting that was fraying near the door. The carpeting in the public areas certainly need replaced (or cleaned).

My son slept on the living room pull out, which he complained was most uncomfortable, so we ended up having him sleep on an air mattress we bought. I think at all hotels, management should have to stay in rooms as well as sleep on the beds and pull outs to get a feel for what their guests experience...

Breakfast was good and offered a nice variety each day. The breakfast area felt clean and we enjoyed some family time visiting. The breakfast area stops serving at 9:30 a.m. on the weekends. I certainly would have appreciated a longer serving time -- maybe until 10 or 10:30 a.m. -- but we made it work.

All in all, a nice visit and would consider returning. I do hope they will update their facilities as I, and others who have posted here, know there are newer and potentially nicer places to choose from within the area.

Room Tip: Room 206 is a 3-room suite (2 bedrooms and a family/living area)
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback. While we are not the newest hotel in town, I'm happy to hear our staff took good care of you, and we would welcome you back in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 30 June 2016

I recently stayed here while working in the area for a few weeks. The overall hotel was nice. I stayed on the first floor near the exit.

When I first arrived, I notified the front desk attendant that my stay would be extended one day. I was told it was taken care of and there would no issues. This would later be an issue. I'll get to that later.

Even staying close to the exit door, I did not hear too much noise. The normal closing of doors, but nothing outrageous.

Some of the meals provided were really good and others were kind of like.... really, why would the hotel serve dessert only at dinner time. No biggie though because this wasn't the only hotel I've been to that had done that. Pizza night was AWESOME though!!

My room key would not unlock my door so for the first week, I would have to go to the front desk and get it corrected. Come to find out, it was the lock itself and it would sometimes take me 5-10 times to insert my card for the door to unlock. Kind of a bummer when your hands are full, but nothing too serious.

Two nights before I am suppose to check out, I notice a Folio was slipped under my door as if we were checking out in the morning. I called the front desk to explain that the checkout date was changed when checking in. I was assured that I was "good to go". Come to find out, I was not "good to go" because the hotel was overbooked and accommodations could not be made. I was a little worried at first, but BIG PROPS to the General Manager. She booked a room for me next door at their neighbor hotel and I was given more than enough time to get my things together and move. She was very apologetic and even gave me additional points for the incident.

Overall, my stay was good and I would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Angela W, General Manager at Residence Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

Thank you! We enjoyed serving as your home away from home while you were in our area, and would love to have you back!