“Not worth the cost :(”

Hilton Garden Inn Independence
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Independence
“Not worth the cost :(”
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

As I have posted before, I tend to stay at Hilton properties in order to assure my family and myself a better overall experience while on the road. Sure, I could have easily found a room for nearly half the cost; however, amenities, ambiance, and HIGH quality customer service is very important to me. With that said, I was a little more than disappointed with the value to cost relationship.

Staff: Possibly the most unhappy people in the hospitality industry. With few polite smiles and greetings most of the front desk staff ( the face of the hotel) kept their eyes down and focused on paperwork (possibly) as if to say "Leave me alone." In particular there was an older gentleman at the desk who was less than polite or even helpful; perhaps some retraining is in order. Never forget, a simple positive engagement and kindly banter is standard in terms of quality hospitality service.

Housekeeping: The hotel was clean and in good order. The room was clean and well-made when housekeeping service was needed.

Special Requests: we needed to call for an extra bed and pillows twice even though we had requested these items during booking.

Noted: Our room had several light leaks from the front door. It appears that there is no gasket between the door and the door frame. This created a situation given to extra hallway noise and a less than dark sleep. The beds were small but comfortable. Both beds had body divots, an indication that new mattresses are in order. The bathroom did not have a working exhaust fan (seriously?). The hair dryer was poorly attached to the wall (surprised that it did not fall off of the wall and into the sink). The tiny vanity made the morning routine a bit of a challenge.

Area: The Hilton Garden Inn is in an amazing location for people who want to explore this great city.

Lobby: The lobby has a cozy moderate-sized reception area built around a double-faced gas fireplace. I envisioned a few evenings of drinks on amazingly comfortable couches and a comfy fire. Sadly at no time was the fireplace lit! What is the problem, can't afford the gas bill, waiting on a part? Suffice it to say, this was another letdown by this hotel.

As this is the hotel's current level of service- as well as a motel quality room- The Hilton Garden Inn should consider a rate more consistent with the competition that they have placed themselves at, that being a Comfort or Quality Inn.

Please allow me to state again, my expectations of service and comfort are very high and in no way should influence you to stay or not. With that said this well-schooled traveler will think twice and do more research before staying here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for your post concerning your recent stay at our hotel. At Hilton Garden Inn we aim to ensure every guest feels they receive a high level of service from our staff and a quality experience. I’m sorry for the unfortunate experience with your stay. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. If you would please contact me direct at 816-350-3000, I would like to discuss your ecperience further. Thank you again for your feedback as we take all of our reviews into consideration as we are constantly trying to better ourselves for our guests. We hope that the next time you’re in the area, you’ll stay with us again so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

For the past few years, my husband and I have been staying at this HGI when we visit my family (it is close to my Mom's senior apartment building). This year's December visit was plagued by a winter storm. During a trip downstairs to get OJ for my diabetic husband, the woman at the front desk (6:15 a.m. 12/20/13) went back into the kitchen to get me free OJ AND agreed that it would be better for us to move to a hotel near the airport so we wouldn't have to worry about the inclement weather that was headed our way. Six inches of snow later, I wanted to thank her for the free OJ, for her thoughtfulness about our travel plans, and for being a wonderful hospitality ambassador. She was off duty when I was more awake later in the day and I'm sorry I didn't get her name. Thank you and here's to a wonderful 2014!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Independence. We are glad your travels were safe and we hope to see you again. Happy New Year!
Centralia, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Hotel had rented out a couple of rooms to a kid to have a birthday party and in the evening the pool was filled with all the kids from the birthday party, forcing my grandchildren out of the pool area. This happen both nights we stayed, two separate birthday parties. Not everyone at the party had a room, only a couple kids, the rest just came and crowded the pool.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
We are very sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues with the birthday parties also going on in the hotel. We will be re evaluating how the birthday parties are booked to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
raytown, United States
Reviewed 11 December 2013

you have an employe show up late they had to go jump start his car then he goes off on the girl at front desk upseting to me so i told the guy off and girl at front desk thanked me tryed to give me free breakfast i said no hill see me and spit in my food

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We use your review to improve our guest services and facilities. I apologize that you had to experience the situation between two employees. You can be assured that we handled the situation accordingly. We do look forward to welcoming you back personally to the Hilton Garden Inn Independence next year for your annual holiday party.
Kansas City, United States
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This would be a great place for a business trip. However, don't bring the kids. The pool is tiny, the staff is stuffy, and it will cost you $9/person for breakfast. I'm not sure if it's true for all rooms, but there was a draft strong enough to move paper all night in our room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
I’m so sorry you did not have a good experience during your stay. Our maintenance staff works diligently to keep our rooms in excellent condition and I regret to hear you didn’t experience that with a draft in the room. I apologize for the inconvenience regarding the breakfast price. We do offer a bed and breakfast rate that includes breakfast up to four people. I apologize that was not communicated to you. Please consider staying with us again the next time you are in Independence. We’d love to make your stay with us the best hotel experience ever.
Houston, United States
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel is conveniently located near I-70. It's very clean and the staff is great! Check-in & check-out took all of 30 seconds for each. I highly recommend staying here if you're in the Independence area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Independence, We truly value our guests and appreciate you taking the time to post that. Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Independence, United States
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My boyfriend and I was visiting my folks for Thanksgiving and choose the Hilton in Independence, Missouri because of the price and location. I was very surprised we were able to get such a great room for the price. We were very pleased in which we were able to check-in so fast. Only discomfort was the cold bathroom floor, which is not the hotel's fault, it was just very cold outside. We will stay here again and would recommend this hotel anytime.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Independence. We truly appreciate you choosing our hotel and hope to see you again in the future.