“Great hotel to stay at!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Independence

Hilton Garden Inn Independence
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Milford, New Jersey
“Great hotel to stay at!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Hotel was fantastic! No issues except for the internet connection - it seemed I had to reconnect to the wifi every time i was off of my phone for a minute or two. Other than that, it was a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
We truly appreciate you sharing your great experience with our hotel. We value your comments and will bring them to our internet provider's atttention. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed July 26th and 2 trucks were broken into, one being ours. The front desk staff showed no concern. Rooms were clean and comfortable. I would suggest a different hotel if you have any deductible on your vehicle.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Frank P
I'm so sorry for your poor experience this week at our hotel. Please be assured I will be discussing your comments with our management team to work on immediate improvements. We take pride in providing the best in lodging and service so our lapses during your stay are being taken very seriously. I would be delighted to be of assistance in this matter if you would like to contact me direct. Again, on behalf of the staff and management - I offer our apologies.
Cedar Hill, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The rooms were very clean. The beds were comfy. Water pressure was just ok. Front desk staff were really friendly! The room had great a/c but the halls and lobby were sticky hot. The "hot breakfast available daily" is misrepresented BIG time. It's$8.95. Nothing is complimentary. So you can eat a heaping plate or you can eat a bagel with coffee...either way...$8.95. I've never stayed in a hotel where you paid for your morning muffin! The sign telling you this is located in the corner of the breakfast area, average poster size, and above eye level. Cute. Lucky for us, Sonic is .5 miles away so we fed our family of 4 there for $12 each morning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn. We truly value your opinion and use these surveys to help better our services and staff. We sure hope to see you again if traveling in the area.
St. Louis, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Nice hotel in nice area (I thought) but no security at all. There were 6 cars broken into with the windows smashed out, my being one of them. The police say there have been previous occurrences but the owner doesn't seem to want to address the situation. The staff didn't even offer to comp my room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank John H
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. Comments and feedback from our guests are reviewed and are very important. I wanted to personally apologize for your experience that you had while staying at our hotel. I will be discussing with ownership the issues you mentioned. I would like for you to come back so we can show you that we can make it right.
Jefferson City, MO, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel, room and bathroom were very clean and staff were very helpful. Mattress was somewhat worn and uncomfortable and room phone was inoperable. The parking lot and driveways around the hotel had potholes which need repair. I would stay there in the future for business or leisure travel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Daniel R
Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey. We appreciate the positive comments and bringing to our attention the pothotles in the driveway. We are slated for complete parking lot repairs in the immediate future. We hope to see you again if future travel brings you to our area.
Olathe, KS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm generally pretty pleasant to the service sector folks. I get it that they deal with the public and sometimes that is tough so I try to be as patient as possible. That being said...this place is simply lacking on several aspects and could use some serious management intervention from a national level.

First the pros: Hotel was clean...yay! The decor is up to date and the layout of the hotel was pleasant.

Cons:

1.) Someone else wrote a review about the air conditioning. That's so true. The hallways and elevator - NO AC. It was horrible. Sure - you're only in them for a minute or two...but it was bad enough to remember. Come on Hilton.

2.) Pool was small. Really small. Someone is bound to get hurt.

3.) I felt like Barney Rubble and Fred Flinstone must've felt every morning that they got up. The beds in 309 were hard as bedrock. I expected to find Dino or Bam Bam walking around the place.

4.) Coffee maker didn't work.

5.) When my wife checked in she said that the front desk told her that breakfast was free. Having stayed at Hilton Garden Inn's before, this didn't sound right. But she said that she double checked. In a hurry the next morning (at a local softball tourney), we stopped by the breakfast buffet and got some strange and slightly creepy looks from the two ladies working at the buffet. So - I asked them if the breakfast was complimentary. They looked at each other and one of them said, no. I said, "Well we were told it was". The lady then smugly and in the most condescending voice said - "Well, maybe you should go to the front desk and figure it out." Again - it was the manner it which she said it. So I just looked at her and went to the front desk.

Two ladies were there. One working the desk - the other working on something that she was writing on. I asked them if the buffet was free and the lady said, it is for ball players. I said "it's okay if it isn't, I just wanted to know" Then the lady writing on something said - "it is for some teams". The other girl asked what team we were on and we told her. The lady writing on something just shook her head no to the other girl. So the other girl said - no, I am sorry. (She was pleasant - but clearly looked a little uncertain about the lady she was working with). In any case, I told them that was okay and then proceeded to let them know that the ladies working at the buffet were a little rude about things. The lady writing stuff down, couldn't even look me in the eye when she gave me the most indifferent apology ever. "Well, we are so sorry about that" she said almost sarcastically, while writing the whole time.

Yeah - that may sound minor - but she was that indifferent to things. That speaks volumes. Hopefully she is not the hotel manager - because she could care less. I am sure that there are people who think that I am just looking to find something to gripe about. Not the case. At all. I got this room on points (20k points). I would've been livid if I had paid the $150 for the room.

Apparently my wife went back through that area after I stormed out and they said they would comp us breakfast. That's not the point. I would have paid for breakfast but at that point - who wants to stay at a place where "indifference" is the attitude. In any case - now that I have spent the last of my Hilton Honors points - I now have a reason to stay with Marriott going forward. Thanks Hilton Garden Inn - your national brand would be so proud.

Room Tip: Avoid room 309.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Walkapalooza
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us on improving our service and quality.

I am hoping to get an opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay and do hope to hear from you soon. I am sorry for the experience you had and ask that you please either email or call me at my contact information below. Your opinions are important to us.

Marcy Camburako 816-350-3000 or email marcy.camburako@hilton.com
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Nice clean hotel. Front desk workers were helpful and nice. The room was clean, bed was comfy. We had a breakfast deal with our team staying there. It was different food from what regular guests received in the lobby area. That was a bummer. We will be back next year!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We use your review to improve our guest services and facilities. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly share your positive comments with our team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Independence
Higher Ground Hotel
Higher Ground Hotel
#2 of 18 in Independence

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Independence? Share your experiences!