“Great for a stopover”

Hilton Garden Inn Independence
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very friendly staff, beautiful well-maintained landscape. We were only here for one night but found it to be a clean, comfortable stay. There were lots of shopping and dining options in the area. The A/C put off a icky smell, but cooled very well. Free WiFi, bottled water and mini-fridge was a plus. This was a good value and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Independence. We truly appreciate you choosing our hotel and will share your comments with the staff. If you are traveling through the area again we hope to see you. Thank you again for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Independence

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our visit got off to a rocky start. First the key to the laundry room did not worked. Quickly taken care of. Then I noticed that the dryer was broken. Front desk staff saved the day again when they agreed to have their maintenance staff put our laundry in their dryer. Bravo!! Last but not least, the person in the no smoking room next to us started smoking and the smell was permeating into our room. In less than 20 minutes, we we upgraded , moved and got a voucher for a free breakfast. What a great staff..
The hotel is very nice. Super clean, quiet and comfortable. Good housekeepers.
The breakfast bar is good. If you don't want to pay nine dollars for the hot and cold bar, all the cold items are available for one dollar each.
There is water and lemonade in the lobby during the day with fruit as well.
Walking distance to several restaurants.
Free parking and lots of luggage carts at the front door. Wifi can be iffy.
All in all a good experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Reviewed 6 August 2014

not a bad price for a nice property and location was great ! 200 characters not really needed and denotes a flaw in survey as it brought me back to this point for n o other re let me see if I am at 200 ? Now says too many repeated letters, you have oddity to ask for my experience and that tell me how many charters I must tell you how good you are?? this part of survey is terrible

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed the night with an unusually large group--over 100 cars and 200 people. Check in was smooth and fast. Breakfast was equally smooth, fast and good. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. Excellent access to freeways and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Independence. We truly appreciate your business and glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my second stay at this facility. I was here the same time last year for a boxing tournament where I volunteer as a ringside physician. I did not get to spend a lot of time at the hotel because of the 18 hour days at the Sports Complex. Last year was a little different as there was more time available for resting up. First of all,Missouri itself is a very very very RED state. That being said, itt carries over in the way the employees will view and treat you probably without their even realizing it. We will talk abut that later. The hotel itself is quite beautiful. There is a gorgeous outside fountain decorated with hanging annuals ( a prelude of things to come?) and the entrance thankfully had luggage dollies. The staff up front was courteous I and mostly kind. My problem here is that the youth of today are not that much into going the extra mile. If a guest is asking for directions to a destination why ask if we need them printed out and then frown when we say yes? Yes, we could use our phones like you I do but we were sharing a car between several groups of older people so the attitude that came along with printed directions was unnecessary. We were place on the 5th floor which gave us a nice view. The I room was her standard issue except that I was pleasantly surprised that there was both a microwave and fridge in the room. There was also the one cup coffee maker and standard horrible ground coffee assortments. There was one bottle of water in the fridge that never got replenished after the first day. We stayed for 4 days.That's about as nice as it got. The bathroom was also standard issue. They cleaned it everyday with something that made the floor of the tub incredibly slippery. We had to wipe it off with fresh towels before we took showers. The hot water was a joke. It got about as hot as a medium setting in a better hotel. The drain in the bath was very slow and annoying. The AC in the room was responsive but incredibly loud. Almost like a grenade going off!! We were in an adjoining room.and the sounds from the other room at 2am were annoying and creepy.the internet wifi was skippy and buggy. It constantly kicked me out so I just used my AT&T on the iPad.

Moving on, the elevators are extremely slow unless it does not have to stop anywhere. There are newspapers and the like in the the very open and public lobby and dining area. The dining area is adjacent to the food line. You can get a decent breakfast for $9.99 a day and eat all you want. They have an excellent menu with a cook who can put together an omelette. This is where the trouble began for me. Last year, the staff behind the food line was rude and obnoxious, this year, they were indifferent. Let's look at what happened. Being an individual of color I am used to being aware and apprehensive. As I approached the food line, nobody said a mumbling word to me. They just looked at me as if to keep an eye on me. When my wife, who happens to be Caucasian, approached the same people they greeted her with "Good morning! What can we do for you? Would you like a custom omelette mam?" Even my wife immediately caught on to the difference in approach. I just ignored the whole thing because, well I'm used to that kind of subliminal message and racism, loaded up my own plate with food and sat down to eat. It just got worse. I got a coffee cup and walked around looking for the the coffee machine. One again, the staff just looked at me like they just needed to keep an eye on me, didn't ask me what I was looking for or offer me assistance so once again I sat down. Now many of you might ask, why didn't you just ask? My response to you would be why should I have to? I'm paying for service and convenience, not my nature to start asking a bunch of questions of people that don't want to help me in the first place. I have asked people like this in the past for help and they either ignore me or things, shall we say, escalate, so I chose to just return to me seat. Tight schedule, no time for arguing or engaging with morons. The server came over and asked me if I would like a cup of coffee after I sat down. I just said yes I would. I asked her where the coffee was located and she told me it's kept in the back. Sooooo, I suppose somebody with a brain behind the counter could have said, " you looking for the coffee?, sorry it's in the back but we can bring it to your table" that's all anybody would have had to say. Anyways, it's never good to try to extract info from people like that. The last day we were there which was a Saturday, the breakfast serving did not start until 7am which I thought was rather strange since most hotels will start at 6:30 am all week. Of course we had already paid for the meal ticket and they refused us a refund. So, all in all the hotel in my view gets a poor rating for being consistently racist and indifferent along with a horribly maintained bathroom. However if you are Caucasian and a republican, you should really like this place and it's klanish staff. I will never stay at this particular hotel again and will not recommend it for use next year for the physicians to stay in. Many will differ with me but if they really want to understand, read the book "Black Like Me" or watch the movie with Spencer Tracy, then come back and read this again and you may get an inkling of what it's like to walk a mile in my moccasins.

Room Tip: Stay away form elevator doors and ice machines, try to get a room at the end of a corridor at the co...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us on improving our service and quality.

I am hoping to get an opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay and do hope to hear from you soon. I am sorry for the experience you had and ask that you please either email or call me at my contact information below. Your opinions are important to us.

Kind Regards,

Marcy Camburako
marcy.camburako@hilton.com or 815-350-3000

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel and Staff were Very Good, even during busy vacation season. I travel nearly every week on business, and was very pleased to find this facility running so well at full capacity. Staff was helpful and friendly with all the pressures of dealing with a very busy Summer weekend. Room was clean and very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We use your review to improve our guest services and facilities. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly share your positive comments with our team. Thank you for choosing our hotel.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This Garden Inn is always consistant every time you stay at this property. Always clean and quiet and well maintained.

Best thing is the steak house that is attached to the hotel. Everything on the menu is spectacular, and the onion rings can't be beat anyplace. Also must mention how polite and professional all the young servers are.

Only one bad thing to report, and that is the matress is getting old with a dip that should be replaced.

This is a great place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your great experience with the Hilton Garden Inn. We truly appreciate our reviews as we use them to better both our product and our service. We hope to see you again if in the area and want to that you for choosing our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City
Best Western Truman Inn
#5 of 18 in Independence
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Independence
Staybridge Suites Kansas City - Independence

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Independence? Share your experiences!