“Hotel was okay but parking lot had entirely too many pot holes.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Independence

Hilton Garden Inn Independence
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Lucas, Texas, United States
“Hotel was okay but parking lot had entirely too many pot holes.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

My sisters and I took our dad on a trip to KC to go to a Chiefs and Royals game for his 75th birthday (he wants to see as many stadiums as he can). Our stay was fine in the hotel. Front desk staff were helpful with our needs as well as housekeeping. However, the parking lot was full of huge pot holes. Also, we were disappointed by the lack of complimentary breakfast but there was always fresh coffee in the lobby which we grabbed on our way out for the day. Please fix the pot holes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debra H
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Independence. We appreciate your comments. We are in the process of major parking lot repairs so hopefully next time you are in the area you will stop by and visit again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
St. Louis, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay. The bed was a little hard for our taste and the constant hum at not from what sounded like the cooling unit was annoying. But overall, if we are back in the area we will stay here again!! :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for taking the time share your experience. We appreciate your feedback. We are in the processing of replacing our HVAC units so next time to come stay with us you should have a new model in your guestroom. Again, we appreciate you staying with us.
Plymouth, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very friendly staff, beautiful well-maintained landscape. We were only here for one night but found it to be a clean, comfortable stay. There were lots of shopping and dining options in the area. The A/C put off a icky smell, but cooled very well. Free WiFi, bottled water and mini-fridge was a plus. This was a good value and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Hilton Garden Inn Independence. We truly appreciate you choosing our hotel and will share your comments with the staff. If you are traveling through the area again we hope to see you. Thank you again for staying with us.
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our visit got off to a rocky start. First the key to the laundry room did not worked. Quickly taken care of. Then I noticed that the dryer was broken. Front desk staff saved the day again when they agreed to have their maintenance staff put our laundry in their dryer. Bravo!! Last but not least, the person in the no smoking room next to us started smoking and the smell was permeating into our room. In less than 20 minutes, we we upgraded , moved and got a voucher for a free breakfast. What a great staff..
The hotel is very nice. Super clean, quiet and comfortable. Good housekeepers.
The breakfast bar is good. If you don't want to pay nine dollars for the hot and cold bar, all the cold items are available for one dollar each.
There is water and lemonade in the lobby during the day with fruit as well.
Walking distance to several restaurants.
Free parking and lots of luggage carts at the front door. Wifi can be iffy.
All in all a good experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We use your review to improve our guest services and facilities. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will certainly share your positive comments with our team.
jefferson city, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

not a bad price for a nice property and location was great ! 200 characters not really needed and denotes a flaw in survey as it brought me back to this point for n o other re let me see if I am at 200 ? Now says too many repeated letters, you have oddity to ask for my experience and that tell me how many charters I must tell you how good you are?? this part of survey is terrible

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

marcy_yates, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Independence, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed the night with an unusually large group--over 100 cars and 200 people. Check in was smooth and fast. Breakfast was equally smooth, fast and good. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. Excellent access to freeways and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Independence. We truly appreciate your business and glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my second stay at this facility. I was here the same time last year for a boxing tournament where I volunteer as a ringside physician. I did not get to spend a lot of time at the hotel because of the 18 hour days at the Sports Complex. Last year was a little different as there was more time available for resting up. First of all,Missouri itself is a very very very RED state. That being said, itt carries over in the way the employees will view and treat you probably without their even realizing it. We will talk abut that later. The hotel itself is quite beautiful. There is a gorgeous outside fountain decorated with hanging annuals ( a prelude of things to come?) and the entrance thankfully had luggage dollies. The staff up front was courteous I and mostly kind. My problem here is that the youth of today are not that much into going the extra mile. If a guest is asking for directions to a destination why ask if we need them printed out and then frown when we say yes? Yes, we could use our phones like you I do but we were sharing a car between several groups of older people so the attitude that came along with printed directions was unnecessary. We were place on the 5th floor which gave us a nice view. The I room was her standard issue except that I was pleasantly surprised that there was both a microwave and fridge in the room. There was also the one cup coffee maker and standard horrible ground coffee assortments. There was one bottle of water in the fridge that never got replenished after the first day. We stayed for 4 days.That's about as nice as it got. The bathroom was also standard issue. They cleaned it everyday with something that made the floor of the tub incredibly slippery. We had to wipe it off with fresh towels before we took showers. The hot water was a joke. It got about as hot as a medium setting in a better hotel. The drain in the bath was very slow and annoying. The AC in the room was responsive but incredibly loud. Almost like a grenade going off!! We were in an adjoining room.and the sounds from the other room at 2am were annoying and creepy.the internet wifi was skippy and buggy. It constantly kicked me out so I just used my AT&T on the iPad.

Moving on, the elevators are extremely slow unless it does not have to stop anywhere. There are newspapers and the like in the the very open and public lobby and dining area. The dining area is adjacent to the food line. You can get a decent breakfast for $9.99 a day and eat all you want. They have an excellent menu with a cook who can put together an omelette. This is where the trouble began for me. Last year, the staff behind the food line was rude and obnoxious, this year, they were indifferent. Let's look at what happened. Being an individual of color I am used to being aware and apprehensive. As I approached the food line, nobody said a mumbling word to me. They just looked at me as if to keep an eye on me. When my wife, who happens to be Caucasian, approached the same people they greeted her with "Good morning! What can we do for you? Would you like a custom omelette mam?" Even my wife immediately caught on to the difference in approach. I just ignored the whole thing because, well I'm used to that kind of subliminal message and racism, loaded up my own plate with food and sat down to eat. It just got worse. I got a coffee cup and walked around looking for the the coffee machine. One again, the staff just looked at me like they just needed to keep an eye on me, didn't ask me what I was looking for or offer me assistance so once again I sat down. Now many of you might ask, why didn't you just ask? My response to you would be why should I have to? I'm paying for service and convenience, not my nature to start asking a bunch of questions of people that don't want to help me in the first place. I have asked people like this in the past for help and they either ignore me or things, shall we say, escalate, so I chose to just return to me seat. Tight schedule, no time for arguing or engaging with morons. The server came over and asked me if I would like a cup of coffee after I sat down. I just said yes I would. I asked her where the coffee was located and she told me it's kept in the back. Sooooo, I suppose somebody with a brain behind the counter could have said, " you looking for the coffee?, sorry it's in the back but we can bring it to your table" that's all anybody would have had to say. Anyways, it's never good to try to extract info from people like that. The last day we were there which was a Saturday, the breakfast serving did not start until 7am which I thought was rather strange since most hotels will start at 6:30 am all week. Of course we had already paid for the meal ticket and they refused us a refund. So, all in all the hotel in my view gets a poor rating for being consistently racist and indifferent along with a horribly maintained bathroom. However if you are Caucasian and a republican, you should really like this place and it's klanish staff. I will never stay at this particular hotel again and will not recommend it for use next year for the physicians to stay in. Many will differ with me but if they really want to understand, read the book "Black Like Me" or watch the movie with Spencer Tracy, then come back and read this again and you may get an inkling of what it's like to walk a mile in my moccasins.

Room Tip: Stay away form elevator doors and ice machines, try to get a room at the end of a corridor at the co...