“From Soda Jerk to President”

Clinton's Soda Fountain
Ranked #1 of 7 Dessert in Independence
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Big Spring, Texas
“From Soda Jerk to President”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I arrived in Independence too late to do all the Harry Truman sites I wanted, but I did take time to have a root beer float the Clinton's Soda Fountain in his honor. I grin when I think of him as a young man sweeping, mopping, making phosphates and sodas, and mixing it up with the locals. A trip back in time as well as a good root beer float.

• Visited June 2014

colorado springs
“Check it Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Not busy for us so we got to chat with the "jerk" at the soda counter...amanda. She's worked there longer than Harry ever did. Milkshake (black and white for me, Hubby had root beer phosphate which was excellent too) was spooned...I never did sip it and that is fine.
Nothing special about the product, it's all about the place as historic and supporting the Independence Square businesses. I wish the place was more thriving but it's worth the visit to Harry's homestead and courthouse and visitor center and local businesses...all very friendly.

• Visited May 2014
Miami, Florida
“Amazing Sundaes and Floats! Real old time theme.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I went earlier today and tried the "Black Cow" That was heaven! My mother had a vanilla soda float her words were " It was rich and creamy paradise. They have a set out on the wall with Maps and you thumbtack where you're from; There was people from every where even Afghanistan! All I have to conclude is this place is excellence Check it out!

• Visited March 2014
Independence, Missouri
“Great place to take the kids or grandkids. A real soda shop!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Great place that has been open for many years. Like other reviewers have said a young Harry Truman worked here long ago. My husband and I stopped in for ice cream one night after a Mexican dinner. The ice cream was good and I remember thinking that I wish that I worked closer so that I could stop in on my lunch hour. There are quite a few seats available, those at the counter and they have several 2 or 3 seat tables available too. Stop in for some ice cream if you are close by, you'll be glad that you did.

• Visited August 2013
Camarillo, California
“Young Truman worked there,”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

A version of George Washington slept there. A modest version of the complete drugstore where young Harry worked is now basically a place to have some really good ice cream and take in the ambience. It's part of the short small town tour that should include the Truman Home and the Presidential library. Be aware that the U.S Park Service information office where you get the Home tour tickets is closed Sunday and Monday due to Obama's and Congress's Sequestration . AAA does not note that in their tour book and we had to return another day after being there on a Monday.

Visited October 2013