“Family Friendly”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Family Friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Independence Square is a nice, quaint locale. The historical aspect is interesting; they have the jailhouse where Jesse James was held. A short walk from the square will get you to Harry S. Truman's home as well. There are some pretty wonderful restaurants and shopping as well as an old fashioned malt shop to get ice cream and sodas. The prices are fair, and the atmosphere is relaxed. I'd recommend it.

Visited June 2013

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Love The Square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Great little place to shop and sight see. Some of the stores are a little pricey for Independence, so I generally stay away from the boutiques. The antique stores are fun to visit, and I like to visit the kitchen store. The coffee shop is a great place to relax, and sometimes they'll have live music. Fun place to hang out on a nice day.

Visited August 2013
Independence, Missouri
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Historic Square”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Liked the old time historic feel of the square and all the old buildings and shops. Don't really care for the Santa-Cali-Gon days they have up there. Parking is terrible during that time and it's usually over Labor day weekend when it's either 100 degrees and 100% humidity or raining.

38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Local Adventure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I was on the Square for a morning business appointment and decided to stay for lunch and a little exploring. I went in a kitchen gourmet shop and found some 50% off bargains! Next was a shop that sold jewelry, hand made lotions and such--had to get their brown sugar lotion! Next I fed my grumbling tummy. I chose Dave's Deli that had a wide variety of food from burgers and malts to veggie sandwiches. Yum--Dave's was a good choice. After lunch I visited a shop that featured furniture and home decor and some nice jewelry as well. Of course, I had to buy a bracelet and necklaces and earrings--oh my! I rambled along to the seniors craft shop and also bought a few items! Sadly my adventure came to an end-but that's ok because I live in Independence and can come for another adventure soon! Maybe for Santa-cali-gon!

1 Thank doonie5048
Independence, Missouri
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“There's lot's to do in Independence!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Recently we had friends come from Australia who wanted to see the Midwest. I grew up in Independence and I'm very proud of it, so, what to show them that would epitomize Independence - The old jail and Sheriff's residence! Clinton's Soda Fountain, The Pioneer Wagon Tour, numerous choices of places to eat ranging from very casual to dress up - the new hot dog bar or the German restaurant (wonderful entertainment there too!), or The Courthouse Exchange (very cozy), Cafe Verona (our choice for informal but wonderful) and the place my husband and I had our wedding reception and would recommend for every special occasion anyone would celebrate, Ophelia's. Antique shopping, a wonderful home decor store with the most wonderful things and a gourmet kitchen store that I can't help visiting every time I'm near! It is just a wonderful place to catch a movie, dinner and walk around. Ticket prices for the shows (which are first run by the way) are much better than other theaters too!