“Lovely accommodations!”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Lovely accommodations!”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hotel is a hidden gem. A perfect place for a restful night! The location is perfect for a visit to Independence or Kansas City! The hotel is CLEAN, and the owner was very welcoming and informative about the area - lots of good tips - especially the one about The Little BBQ Joint. We spent our entire vacation frequenting small business "mom 'n pop" restaurants, shops and this lovely hotel. The bed was so comfortable and the Keurig coffee pot in the room with the different flavored coffees was a real treat! If you are looking for accommodations that will provide a good night's sleep, quiet and friendly, this is the place.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor overlooking the garden area and koi pond!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 800lms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I spent five nights here while working at the Truman Library Archives, a short ten minute walk away. I can't imagine why researchers would stay anywhere else. As a converted office building it doesn't look like a hotel, but inside it's well furnished, with excellent business center, very clean and fresh, and friendly and helpful too. Only ten minutes from downtown also if you fancy a restaurant, as I do. And they offer massage for your tight shoulders after a day hunched over a laptop. Just do it.

Room Tip: 309 overlooks Truman house across the street
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Located across the street from the Truman home and just a couple of blocks from historic Independence town square this hotel is the perfect place at a perfect price. Its looks rather utilitarian from the outside but the rooms inside are spacious, clean and comfortable. I loved staying within walking distance of all the attractions in town. I didn't give it 5 stars because the breakfast wasn't much...just store bought breads, cereal and a bit of yogurt and fruit...but I forgive that ,given the location and price of this little gem. Truth is, if I come back to the Kansas City area, I'm staying here!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We decided to book this hotel because of the positive reviews that we saw on various websites. We also chose the hotel because of it's location. The hotel was a little different than any of the chain hotels which is a good thing. The rooms were a good size and the bed we had was very comfortable. The hotel was immaculate and very well kept. The owners were very friendly and appreciative of our stay. We enjoyed the fact that it was very peaceful. It was also in a nice older neighborhood. We were pleasantly surprised with our stay and would recommend this hotel to others. It does not have a pool or exercise room, but that's okay, we took advantage of the great location took a nice walk and jog.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim C
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I found this little gem on Yelp as we were traveling cross country en route to the Grand Canyon. We were sight seeing our way West, stopping as we found something interesting. I made the reservation just hours from arriving. Very large room with 2 queen beds. Probably the most comfortable room of the entire trip. Friendly staff. Nice breakfast the next morning. I highly recommend this hotel. I will definitely stay here again if I'm passing through.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Champaign
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This affordable hotel has a great location, across the street from the Truman home, a four-block walk from downtown, and a short drive down Delaware Street to the Truman Library and Museum. The rooms are converted from what used to be hospital rooms. We had a good size room on the second floor, with a comfortable king bed. There was no closet, but we got by using the coat hooks. Parking was free. Plenty of channels (via Dish) on the TV. We did not try the breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room. Prior visitors have complained that some rooms are too small.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Augusta, Kansas
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three days while on a mini-vacation. The motel is at a very good location, close to a lot of historic district things. The staff is friendly and attentive. The garden outside is very nice, although we didn't really get to use it since it was cold outside. The rooms are fine: very clean. The bed was comfy. The shower had good pressure. The breakfast was on par with any other restaurants I have stayed in. The price was very competitive, especially when compared with other motels in the area. The place is quiet. I will say that I prefer heating/air conditioning controls in every room, but I think this place is on a central unit. We simply opened the windows if it got a little warm. Overall, I liked this place and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: We liked our room, and it was on the third floor. It was a king bed.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City
Hilton Garden Inn Independence
Hilton Garden Inn Independence
#6 of 18 in Independence
My Place Hotel - Kansas City / Independence, MO

Been to Higher Ground Hotel? Share your experiences!