“Wow! Such a nice Surprise!!! We LOVE THE Olive Branch Inn”

Higher Ground Hotel
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Kansas City, MO
“Wow! Such a nice Surprise!!! We LOVE THE Olive Branch Inn”
Reviewed 14 July 2006

We found the Olive Branch Inn (OBI) from an internet search. We had been looking at Bed &Breakfasts in the area for our anniversary. I wanted something "extra" in our room for our anniversary and everyone else was charging $50-140. When I stumbled upon OBI online I thought, "no way, that's scary cheap." The pictures looked so ho-hum. Regardles, I gave them a call and found the voice on the other end to be very pleasent, helpful, and informative.
We decided to book their "Romance Package" Which was $99 and included a King room, gift basket, and "breakfast-in-bed. " (Room Service)
As we drove up I was a bit nervous about how *safe* it was, not to mention how lackluster the outside was. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. We had no problems and never felt unsafe, even when taking walking tours.

The front desk was helpful and very accomadating to requests I had made prior to arrival.

EXCELLENT LOCATION: It is located across the street, diagonal from Harry & Bess Truman's Indep. Home. and just down the street from the historic square (waking distance: approx. 5 min to start of square).

ABOVE AVERAGE ROOM:
I am terrified of b. bugs, and immediatly scoured the room for any sign of their presance. NO BUGS! WOO HOO! Plus, in the process, we found it SUPER CLEAN. Honestly, I do not know how they keep it that clean. *That* is why I rated the room "above" average. Nice Bathroom with Shower/Tub combo, nice sz tub, very cean, no stains.
Bed had a soft, yummy pillowtop mattress. Beautiful dark wood furniture including an amoire, dresser/tv cabinent, table w/chairs, desk, night tables, bed. Very nice.
The TV is equipped with Cable, however, it is medium sized and while it was more than adaqute some may think it a bit small for their tastes. (didn't bother us at all, though)

GENEROUS ROMANCE PACKAGE:

Thinking in the line of Romance, our room was tucked away at the end of a hall. It shared no walls with another room, only two walls with a hallway on the other side. Very thoughtful.

Gift Basket was ready & waiting in our room upon our arrival.
( which included: fine chocolates, wine glasses with sparkling grape juice, massage oil [from a very famous, and not-so-cheap, maker], and their signature lotion.) (I'm sure the package might vary from time-to-time, as they didn't advertise/claim that it was as luxurious as it actually was, so please don't hold them to what I say!)

BREAKFAST in Bed:

Came as room service at a time specified by us. We picked from three different meals. We both had the eggs benedict. It arrived with pleanty of frest fruit, juice, and coffee. Very generous and VERY YUMMY!

REST OF FACILITY:
We didn't us the rest much, however, we did walk through the common areas. There are family-room-style areas on (at least) two floors which afford much more privacy than had been conveyed online. They are generously appointed with comfy, clean seating and each has a tv and vcr. The front desk has a limited (but varied) selection of tapes for your use.
Downstairs, is a rec room (available for your use, i believe, if no one has reserved it), and a kitchenette for guests to use with a fridge, ice macine, cold drinking water, sink, and posibly a microwave, but my mem. is fuzzy on that one!
*Elevators are available for your use*

Overall, we hated to check out and we both wished we had reserved two nights there. (the second night is discounted). We HIGHLY RECOMMEND OBI. It's not that fancy, but they sure are generous and warm-hearted, and that made our stay.
I took a pic of interior, but it didn't turn out. Sorry. :-(

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank Melissa R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City
Hilton Garden Inn Independence
Hilton Garden Inn Independence
#7 of 18 in Independence
My Place Hotel - Kansas City / Independence, MO

Been to Higher Ground Hotel? Share your experiences!