“What A Great Place!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vivilore

Vivilore
Ranked #8 of 249 Restaurants in Independence
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Independence, Missouri
“What A Great Place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is such a great place to go. It not only offers great food; it provides eye treats as well--antiques and interesting art, jewelry, scarves, hats, and a whole lot more. It's fun to eat and then look around. I always buy something because Whit and Cindy have excellent taste and display a whole lot of things I usually want in my own home. Plus, if you are lucky, you may get to see Jimmy, the parrot who will talk to you if you talk to him. I go to Vivilore's regularly, and I don't think enough people know about it. They don't market or advertise very well, so people need to spread the word. They've only been open a year, and they're still working out the details, but Whit keeps the place decorated often with themes or holidays, they sometimes have art shows and assorted events, but they offer an excellent lunch and dinner and have a good bar. Weather permitting, they also have lots of outdoor seating that is beautiful. It feels more like you are in an environment than just a courtyard. The whole place is several floors of exploring, so it's a place you must go and try.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Maryfrances W

“Quaint ambiance paired with better than average meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Visited this location with friends. If I lived in this area, I'd eat here at least once a week. The decor is an antique collector's/florist's dream. You are free to wander over the back garden and both stories of the building. Most items can be purchased.

3 in our party of 4 had the chicken dish of the day and all 3 noted that it was very good. I had the Portobella sandwich. We started with the carrot hummus which had a creamy texture and nice tahini flavor. The carrot flavor was missing and it could have used more seasoning, salt or maybe more cumin. It was very bland, only clue that it was carrot was the presence of small bits of carrot. This same hummus was the spread on my sandwich and in that regard, it was much better, probably due to the feta which provided additional saltiness. I chose the cole slaw for my side and was satisfied with the 'cup' portion. The really tasty surprise was the homemade spicy pickle. Unfortuntately, only 1 small slice came as a garnish and I asked for additional bite because that was FANTASTIC. I was told you can buy a jar to take home but it seemed a little pricey around $9 for only half pint. Our group ordered 1 beer, I had one wine, the other 2 in the party opted for water. The total bill with tip was just over $100. We wandered the building after we ordered and the waitress called us when our food was ready. Nice service.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mimaboy
Independence, Missouri, United States
“Chatting in the Courtyard with Friends and Last Light of Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Attentive service, great atmosphere, tasty hor d'oeuvres, and wonderful conversation in a laid-back courtyard. This make two consecutive Friday evening outings for us and we thoroughly enjoy the setting...

1 Thank Pbaglaw
Merriam, Kansas
“So-So......service No-No”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

We went for lunch on a Thursday afternoon. They still have not fixed the doors mentioned in the other reviews. We gave up and were headed to the car out front, when the waitress stepped out. She said the door should be pushed and not pulled. OK....fix the sign on the door.

The same person was our server...she is either very inexperienced or just doesn't care. She did not offer any water just handed us the menu. The menu has was really grubby and had food on it. We asked for a wine list and she stood over us while we tried to read it. Still no water. We ordered wine, read over the menu. We each ordered the lobster roll. after she took our order we decided to also order the roasted red pepper hummus. I could see her setting down at the bar and tried to get her attention...my lunch partner finally went to get her and tell her what we wanted. Still no water, they also don't give you bread or rolls to munch on. The hummus was very bland. It came with pita bread sliced cucumbers, carrot strips and zucchini... there were three strips of really good pickled red onion. The lobster rolls were just so-so. Very bland. It came with home made chips, some of which were crisp and some really oily. Still no water, but the glasses were still on the table empty. Every time I looked, the waitress was setting at the bar. When she brought the ticket I asked for a glass of water....when she filled my glass, and only mine, not the lunch partner, she said I guess I should have given you water sooner.....Ya Think! ! ! The place is really pretty and they could have a wonderful restaurant, but they need to work on the food and service...AND THE DOOR. Be sure to go and walk around the garden in the back, it's lovely. I don't think we will go back anytime soon.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hometowngirl49
“If you ever think back to those rare times in life when you entered a place where you felt everything seemed to be in perfect ha”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

If Vivilors goal was to not only stimulate our taste buds, but to stimulate all our senses, they have done just that.
They have earned a seat at the table of fine niche' restaurants in the Midwest, and arguably one of the best in the metro.
But if you really want a good seat you better talk to "Jimmy", I think he really runs the place....
Thanks Whit and Cindy, and the Vivilor crew that makes this happen, from the artists, to the servers, the musicians, to the owners, hats off I say....and well played guys...

• Visited August 2013