“Surprise”

Midwest Genealogy Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Midwest Genealogy Center, the largest free-standing genealogy library in the United States, is one of the nation's preeminent destinations for researching family history, providing access to almost three-quarter of a million on-site materials, as well as free online resources. Midwest Genealogy Center features 52,000 square feet of space to house all of the free resources and technology needed to research family history whether one's relatives originated in the Midwest or across an ocean. Part of Mid-Continent Public Library, The Center offers free access to microfilm sources, microfiche records, books, directories, and online resources seven days a week and offers free classes and programs throughout the year.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Complete public library dedicated to genealogy. Most source material I have had the opportunity to use.

1  Thank Jim B

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Went there to find info to lead me to where my relatives were buried in the late 1800's. Very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Cindy N
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Very impressive! So much material.
The facility is quite large and very open. The staff are experts and eager to help.
I've been to the Salt Lake City Genealogy Library, and I would have to say that this is a nice compliment to it. It's the midwestern version.
Time slips by quickly when you begin looking for information on your ancestors. Be sure to set aside several Hours for your visit.
There are plenty of computers, etc., to aid in your research. What's better than finding a name, dates, families and children? Stories about them!
I've found several volumes that contain stories written about my ancestors, by the people that knew them.
Valuable insights into their personalities, families, employment, health, living conditions, economy, and what the really early days were like and the trials they experienced and overcame. That really add to my genealogy stats. I'm getting to Know my ancestors.

2  Thank twobits4
Reviewed 3 September 2013

An amazing collection and very helpful staff for those interested in genealogy. Computers are available for public use and there is no charge for their use or for access to the many internet sites. It's an ideal beginning for searching for family history.