Hawthorn, A Bed & Breakfast
US$129
Higher Ground Hotel(Independence)
US$103
US$97
Best Western Truman Inn(Independence)(Great Value!)
US$105
US$98
BestWestern.com
US$127
US$119
US$136
US$126
Comfort Suites Independence(Independence)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$107
US$149
US$131
Travelocity
All reviewsmaple syrupb bwonderful hostsstone mansionkansas cityhawthorn housesignature breakfastsun roomold mansionbeautifully decorated for christmasperfect staykc arealovely homethree nightscommon areasbreakfast was delicioustruman library
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I can only echo the praise of the other reviewers.

Jim and Wendy truly made us feel at home, and were as welcoming as can be. My wife and I stayed in the Westminster Suite over Christmas, and it was a perfect getaway. We got married the weekend before, and needed to get away and clear our heads. This was our first B&B experience, and I can't imagine anything better than our experience at Hawthorn. We have their number on our refrigerator, and will always be on the lookout for an excuse to call up an make a reservation for a weekend getaway.

The mansion was decorated magnificently for Christmas. The only thing I could say when we first arrived was that it looked like it was straight out of a movie. It felt like we had been transported back in time, with all the comforts and amenities of our modern day. The room was enormous, and the sheets... Oh my goodness, the sheets. Softest sheets I've ever felt in my life. The mansion was meticulously well kept, and absolutely quiet and peaceful.

Breakfast was, of course, absolutely incredible. Jim even made biscuits and gravy for my bride as a special request.

If you are looking for peace, tranquility, hospitality, and the best breakfast of your life, look no further than Hawthorn.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Micah H
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My Daughter and I stayed at the Hawthorn in May, for Mother's day. Wonderful girls weekend. The room was wonderful. The home is beautifully kept, inside and out. They have all the little creature comforts. If you wanted to sit outside(Which, we did for hours) and swing, you can do that, or find a great little room down stairs, for quiet reading time. The grounds are just beautiful, and well kept. Jim and Wendy, were very friendly. Breakfast was amazing. Great place for small events too. They do weddings and the like. Just a few minutes from the square down town, so you can find all sorts of places to eat. For the Locals, you will love this little get away. For anyone coming from out of town,. Great treat. Do yourself a favor, and take the plung, it is well worth it.

Room Tip: Every single room is decorated differently, so check out the website for photo's and more info.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ShellKC
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The owners have obviously given a lot to their inn. It is in beautiful condition, very clean and the grounds are lovely. We loved the location just off of Truman Road with easy access to Independence as well as a straight shot into Kansas City. Stayed in the Gallagher room, big and bright with windows to the front. Loved having coffee right outside the door in the morning. Excellent big breakfasts, omelette one morning and carmel/pecan French toast the next, you won't need lunch. We would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2012

While we had only reserved for two nights this past week, this beautifully decorated, immaculately maintained B&B was so comfortable that we were thrilled when the owners, Jim and Wendy, could accommodate us for a third night. Every morning, fresh coffee awaited outside our room. Bottles of water and an array of soft drinks were also at hand at all times. A two-course breakfast, included in the price, was so delicious and hardy that we skipped lunch each day - fluffy omelets, pancakes with fresh berries and maple syrup along with just-from-the oven muffins. Whether exploring Independence or visiting Kansas City, the Hawthorn is perfectly located. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. Visit the Hawthorn's website as this one lives up to the photography. We stayed in the Gallagher room. The owners are extremely nice and very professional. This stay made our trip a total delight.

Room Tip: All the rooms are well located and all have good views. All are large and whether the room or bathroom, all are extremely well-appointed. It doesn't matter which one you select.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This large, stone mansion built at the turn of the last century as the country house of a Kansas City businessman and his family, sits on about 2 acres of nicely landscaped grounds with huge old shade trees and antique street lamps. It's minutes from the interstate and major roads, but as the owner will warn you, you have to be very careful with your GPS. My GPS did not know that the street it directed me to came to dead end, and I might have driven about in an endless loop had I not been advised beforehand.

The house is a few-minutes' drive from most Kansas City-area attractions but sits in a quiet neighborhood. The interior, with dark old ornate wood trim, huge fireplaces, chandeliers, and the like, has been beautifully restored, and the place is so well kept up it looks as if you could eat off the floors. I stayed in the Evans room, which must have been one of two master bedrooms in the original: it was bigger than many people's living rooms. The house was also quiet; there were a fair number of guests when I was there, including a couple in the room next door, but I never heard anything.

I arrived around 8:30 p.m., and the owner recommended an outstanding Italian restaurant for my dinner, only minutes away. The upper hallway has a sideboard with two coffeemakers and a small fridge with soft drinks.

Service is characterized with all kinds of nice personal touches. When you come down for breakfast in the morning, your private table (among a group of tables set out in the former livingroom, the dining room, and on the sun porch) has a hand-lettered card with your name on it. Your coffee is served in an earthenware mug with the logo of the house on it, and the same is true for jars of jam.

I've only had about 5 or 6 bed and breakfast experiences over the years, but this place must be the all-time breakfast champ. Eat their breakfast, and you won't need lunch. This isn't one of those places that advertises a "contintental breakfast," which turns out to be a box of donuts and a carton of orange juice. Your breakfast is served to you personally and starts with fresh fruit (e.g., strawberries, blackberries, etc.) in cream, followed by a large home-made muffin, followed by either the owner's special omelettes or French toast with a side of breakfast potatoes. In that regard, the guest certainly feels pampered.

The place is beautiful, elegant, and comfortable, at very reasonable rates. What I paid for my room was a tad more than what I usually budget for, but it was quite low for what I got. With the old photos, antique curios, large old rooms, and reading chairs in corners, I can easily imagine sitting there on a winter's day, lost in a good book, and imagining the years rolling backward to a more gracious age.

There are only two reasons why I'm not giving this place five stars. One is that, quiet as the house is most of the time, that is not true in the mornings! The reason is that when you come down for breakfast, you are startled to hear the sound of music that you can't get away from, and it's these throbbing Italian tenors, singing what sounds like "Greatest Hits of the Venetian Gondoliers." At 7:30 in the morning! How anyone could have so little basic taste and judgment as to wish to shatter the early morning quiet--especially in an elegant old mansion like this--is beyond me. I don't mean it's ear-splitting or anything, but it's quite noticeable. However, I don't suppose this kind of thing is peculiar to the couple that run the place; it seems to be a symptom of the modern world, which seems to regard silence as something sinister and unnerving.

The second reason is an aspect of the man's attitude. I can no longer recall his first name, but I remember reading that he spent his earlier career in corporate HR departments, and that's kind of interesting, because he's noticeably nicer in person than over the phone. When I first called to make a reservation, he was polite enough, but there was a brusqueness to his manner that suggested that he hoped you realized how patient he was being while you, the caller, took up his valuable time. I wondered if this was perhaps a fluke, but I became convinced otherwise. I called him from my car while still a couple of hours from his house, as he had requested, to confirm my expected arrival time. He asked me if I remembered the specific directions to get to his door since, again, the GPS sometimes misdirected people.

I took the printed Google Map directions and began to read them to him, and he butted in saying "NOOOO, SIRRRRR, that is NOT the way you want to GO," in a tone that suggested, "You idiot, you're really getting on my LAST NERVE."

He then began giving me directions. To my amazement, they were the very same directions I had just been reading to him!

In other words, his attitude seems to be that if it doesn't come out of his mouth, it is not merely wrong, but stupid. When I got to his house and he let me in, again, he was polite enough but didn't offer to shake hands, and I had to make that gesture.

So whatever you do, try not to annoy this man and just accept that he must be smarter than you, or at least he evidently thinks so. Fortunately, as I said, he becomes nicer in person.

Other than that, the house is not to be missed, and I'm very glad I stayed. It is the sort of place where you wish to sit up late at night just soaking up the atmosphere and where, until you hear the caterwauling tenors the next morning, you seem to have entered the timelessness and elegance of a vanished age.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo