“Lovely Girls Weekend”

Ranked #3 of 6 Independence B&B and Inns
North Kansas City, Missouri
“Lovely Girls Weekend”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Excellent destination for a Girls Weekend -- The Hawthorn property is beautiful and comfortable, and Westminster Suite was perfect for us. Breakfasts were magnificent! We will spread the word -- and we will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here over last weekend in the Westminster Suite. Jim and Wendy were great, Wendy was a little friendlier but I would kind of expect that. The property IS well maintained and I think the CLEANEST property we have ever stayed at. With all of the knick knacks and figurines sitting around u would think u would see a speck of dust and there absolutely wasn't. This B&B was a little different in that they don't force u to eat breakfast with everyone else and I like that. It always seems so awkward to make conversation first thing in the morning with people u don't know. Jim was apparently the cook and what a wonderful job he did! Breakfast every morning was wonderful, I felt bad though that I could not finish (or come close) and I really hate to waste that much food. The only problem that we had was that the air conditioner in our room was really noisy, as my husband has experience in that area he said the ball bearings were going out in the fan. I probably should hv said something but it is such beautiful property I didn't want to seem critical. Would definitely stay here again but in a different room just for the experience. The other rooms we looked at while unoccupied were large and roomy and just as beautifully furnished.

Room Tip: The westminster was a very nice room but it overlooked the addition on one side. The air conditione...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jespence60
Carlisle, Iowa
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We traveled to KC for a business event and came back in the evenings to Hawthorn Bed and Breakfast- for just that: a bed, and breakfast. Hawthorn turned out to be so much more. It turned our business event into a comfortable personal event, a place of comfort, to rejuvenate, and relax, after a very busy day. We were just looking for a place to stay, and couldn't find anything in the area we were suppose to be, so started hunting outside the area. It was very easy to find, and ended up very easy to reach all of our destinations around the KC area. Very well maintained, beautifully restored. The hosts are genuinely hospitable and helpful. Breakfast in the sun porch is a real treat. When we make our next trip to KC, we will call Hawthorn first.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My new husband and I stayed at Hawthorn the first night of our honeymoon.
We were blown away with how beautiful and well kept the mansion was. It was in mint condition and beautifully decorated with classic taste. The owners are kind and with excellent friendly service.
Our room was so comfortable and clean and the sheets were amazing!!!
For breakfast, we sat in the sunroom and were served a delicious, full breakfast. I loved their attention to detail, from our names on the table, to the handmade pottery coffee cups. Everything exceeded our expectations.
We can't wait to stay here again and will refer our friends as well.
If you are looking for an upscale, beautiful get-a-way with a scrumptious homemade breakfast, this is the place to go!!
Thank you Jim & Wendy!!!

The Carsons

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christina C
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a small intimate wedding at Hawthorn outside on the front lawn. I cannot say enough about how great Jim and Wendy are to work with. They went above and beyond to make our day special. Wendy has an amazing talent for decorating. She suggested things I would have never thought of. Jim makes incredible food. We had an assortment of appetizers which he prepared for us. Everyone raved about how good the food was. It was delicious and presented like any five star restaurant. My husband and I were looking for a quaint venue that felt like home. We definitely found that with this bed and breakfast. We rented the house for our family from out of town as well as a place to spend our wedding night. The breakfast is nothing short of fabulous. It's a lot of food but I ate every bit. I would highly recommend Hawthorn. We plan to go back for our anniversary!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were looking for a quiet weekend away from it all. The Hawthorn offered everything we wanted and more. We stayed in the Gallagher room and were not disappointed. The Hawthorn is situated just far enough away from Kansas City to escape the city noise and yet close enough to still enough the downtown area. Jim and Wendy offered fantastic advice on local eateries as well as pampered us with their culinary talents. Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Jim and Wendy were great hosts. Same goes for the value of the Hawthorne B&B. Great place with a welcome home feeling. I stay at places all over this beautiful country and really enjoy places like here just off the beaten path. Jim was kind to offer dinner selections close by. We chose an Italian restaurant he suggested which was a true hit.
Talk about a wonderful weekend place to stay......come and go as you please. With awesome cooked private breakfast the following morning. Not only was everything wonder but I can say we will return. Nice history of the home.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank RichieRich301
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Higher Ground Hotel
816 Hotel
#23 of 109 in Kansas City
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Stadium
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City

Been to Hawthorn, A Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!