“Decent, but far from luxurious”

Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here three nights Labor Day weekend. When we checked in, Christopher was working the front desk. He was super friendly and helpful. (He was there each evening and always very nice.) I asked if the rooms had fridges, and he said some do, some do not, and if ours did not, he would try to find us one. Sure enough, our room did not, but he found a small one in storeage for us, that worked so well our drinks had ice in them. :-)

There were two college baseball teams staying at the hotel (including the Army team), but we never had any issues with noise. I am an extremely light sleeper, and I never once heard people outside our room or the hotel. (We were on the third (top) floor.)

We didn't love the polyester blend sheets, and the bed had a thin duvet only, no blankets. We did have five pillows (king-size bed), including two more firm ones, which is what we prefer. The mattress was comfortable, but everytime my husband did so much as move a leg, the whole thing bounced. It just was very "bouncy" and I did wake up a lot during the night when my husband would change positions in his sleep.

We requested no maid service the first day, and after 1:30pm the second day, and they were happy to comply. I spoke w/ one of the housekeepers and she was very friendly.

The free "hot" breakfast consists of make-your-own waffles, powdered eggs, and sausage patties. They also had cereal, bagels, muffins, apples, pineapple and cantaloupe, and they can provide gluten-free Chex if you ask. I stuck to food I had in my room (as I am GF), and my husband ate down there two of the three mornings we were there. He wasn't overly impressed, but it was free.

We paid $79 Fri and Sat night and $59 Sun night w/ our Friends & Family discount. I don't think the hotel is worth any more than that. I would have been disappointed in the quality of the hotel if we'd paid full price.

Starbucks is in the shopping center next door, so you can walk over. The 54th Street Grill and Bar restaurant next door was terrible, so we don't recommend it, just FYI.

Room Tip: I'd say request the top floor to avoid any noise from guests above you and request a fridge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for your review. It is always nice to get compliments on our staff, and the positive comments are appreciate. We hope to see you on your next visit to Independence. Elaine R.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We recently stayed at this Fairfield inn on our summer vacation to President Trumans library and home. This has been my dream vacation for years. staying at this Fairfield inn was a great place to stay. Elaine and her staff were awesome. They made my wife and I feel at home and welcome. The property was clean, breakfast was very good and well stocked. Nearby are many stores such as walmart, Barnes and Nobles. Easy acess to the highway and many good eateries. If you are planning a visit please stay with them you wont be sorry.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review. We take pride in delivering the service and accommodations our guests deserve. We look forward to your visits in the future!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Okay considering the standards of Fairfield Inn, but don't get your hopes up. Positives: free breakfast, good location near highways. Negatives: pool not available (were told to go next door to Residence Inn) breakfast area crowded and not quickly restocked. Parking was convenient. Restaurants and businesses nearby. Our room was pretty good but others in our party were not happy with their room.

Room Tip: Select a room at the end of the hall
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We value our guest opinions and look forward to your stay with us the next time you are in the Independence area.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The Fairfield Inn is a comfortable place with good value, it's highway access, cleanliness and friendly staff are welcoming. Our room was comfortable, clean, and the beds and pillows were quite comfortable. We got a great night's sleep. Once morning arrived the continental breakfast was good, they offered a good spread of eggs, pastries, cereal, and fruit. The belgian waffle maker was a nice touch. What I especially liked was that on the way out, the manager asked me if I "had any suggestions for improvement?" I found that to be a nice question for a hotel manager to ask which showed attentiveness that other hotels do not seem to seek from customers.

My only complaint is that the water pressure was severely low, and the towels were near paper thin. It was not a comfortable shower, nor a comfortable way to dry yourself after. Maybe I'm being particular, but that's something that's a pet peeve of mine while traveling. If those things aren't as big of a deal for you as they are for me, this might just be a great hotel for you. But for me, I'm remaining neutral and not saying to stay away, but I'm not sure this would be my first choice the next time around.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Thank you for taking time to give us a review. I apologize for the water pressue but it is being looked into. We hope you will stay with us the next time your are in our area to enjoy our midwest hospitality, comfortable beds, and our "good spread" for breakfast.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We were visiting with the wife and my sister. Needed a location that would be easy to get on interstate and local highways and this Fairfield met the bill. Is right next to a Residence Inn if you are thinking of upgrading. :) Pluses - very friendly staff, clean, well maintained, nice indoor pool, outstanding Wifi but then we were on 1st floor not far from reception area. Minuses - pricey even for a Fairfield, a bit noisy from second floor guests, no whirlpool (had one but it is permanently out of service), TV remote was an agony had to call the desk and a very helpful lady came and gave me a remote that would change channels (you must change channels via remote) however the remote would not control any other functions (not a disaster as the TV's own buttons worked ok for the sound, power).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your review. I agree that our location is convenient and close to just about anything you would want. We hope you stay with us when in our area again.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I needed a hotel at the last minute, the rate was good on the travel budget, the location off of I-70 convenient, and it is a FFI. Room was clean, it is not on the highway so it was quiet. I checked in at 10pm, and out at 8am, no issues during my 10 hours here. Excatly what I look for in a stop and sleep situation.

Room Tip: There is a Residence Inn next door.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Than you for your review. Although a brief stay, I a glad we were able to meet your travel needs. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We had a large youth group of 168 people. The staff at the Fairfield Inn were wonderful and so helpful as we planned and once we arrived, everything was in order to make checking in that many people a breeze. The hotel is nice and clean and the breakfast was delicious. Elaine Rose, the GM, was especially wonderful! Great staff, great hotel! We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Elaine R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kansas City Independence, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review. We love having the church youth groups stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in four years!