Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Independence
Liberty, Missouri
“Adequate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

This facility is designed for extended stay business travelers who are staying at length and want the option of fixing their own meals. Rooms feature an electric 2-burner cook-top, exhaust hood, small microwave and kitchen sink with cookware and utensils provided along with a mini-refrigerator in most rooms, but a few handicap rooms feature full-size refrigerators. There's also a small table with 2 chairs. Onsite laundry facilities are an advantage and room is kept very clean. Building has 3 floors and has an elevator or stairs for upper access.

Heating/cooling has been satisfactory despite weather extremes.

Management and service have been very responsive and quite helpful. Security has been quite good, considering so many properties in the Independence and suburban areas for a 15 mile radius have had security issues in the past because of the close proximity of I-70 making it easy for criminals to rob hotel offices. During my extended stay there has been no crime or scary instances I was aware of. Crossland caters to business travelers including salesmen, construction workers, also senior citizens on extended visits and I've not seen any indications
of drug or prostitution problems that are so typical at many competitors. Guests have been quiet and friendly. There seems to be a core of guests staying for weeks or even months while on extended-stay business assignments. I have been here for 6 months so I know more than most who review this after a one night or one week stay.

Maid service has been satisfactory. I have not observed cockroach problems or vermin at this property but this is a problem for some nearby competitors according to some guests who've stayed elsewhere nearby.

Negatives:

#1. Property has NO Ice Machine. This is a real drawback and corporate should address this with an ice machine. Perhaps installed next to the pop machine in the Laundry Room. Ice Machines are standard at almost every hotel/motel and I was quite surprised to discover none existed at this Crossland property.

#2. WiFi service is problematic for the entire area. This is not due to Crossland, but rather the WiFi towers are overloaded with too many hotels and office buildings in the neighborhood. The demand exceeds supply. Crossland does offer "tech support" from India which is problematic at times with English speaking issues.

#3. Cable TV does not offer a very large variety of channels, but that's due to the cable provider not offering a wider range.

#4. Lack of hot water in the mornings or late at night can be a problem at times. Water pressure itself is sometimes spotty with demand. I've seen far worse at even 4 and 5 star hotels. I've also seen better, so I'd rate this as average to slightly below average.

#5. Linens are clean but worn-out or have burn holes and should be replaced. Management
has always been accomodating on replacement requests but such sheets/bedspreads should
not be kept in inventory.

#6. The rooms do not have comfortable chairs to relax and watch TV, just two chairs for the table and they are not comfortable for relaxation. The Crossland website would lead you to believe otherwise as pictures show easy chairs and even sofas, but that is not the case. Also the website shows a swimming pool but there is none at this location. So the website can be somewhat deceptive.

#7. TV is older - not a flat screen. Corporate should be upgrading their TVs on the premises.

It seems that corporate headquarters is slowly rotating and renovating rooms. Hopefully, in six months some of the negatives will be corrected.

Room Tip: Handicapped rooms are available and a little roomier.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
vguerke, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the issues you are experiencing with the WiFi along with the cable channel selection. I also appreciate your feedback in regards to the room amenities (chairs, TV, tables). In response to your feedback, I will be sure to create a list of these items so that I can budget accordingly and perhaps make purchases for new furniture and new linens. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate all of the information you have provided. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at idp@extendedstay.com. In addition, I would also like to thank you for all of the terrific comments you made in regards to this property! We hope that you that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
ottawa ks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

the room was reserved in advance, upon arrival i found that i had to wait 2 hrs for it to be "cleaned". at bedtime that night i turned the bathroom light and pulled the door nearly closed to make a night light for my nearly dark room. slept well. awoke the next morning in the daylight !! my bedsheets were filthy with feces, obviously old. whoever had done this had run there finger tips through it. i called my daughter-in-law who was down the hall in another room. she came to witness it. she called the front desk that sent someone to look at it and also took pictures. they REFUNDED my money and then promptly recharged my debit card for the nightly charge on christmas eve. a nasty and underhanded place that i will never stay in or recommend to anyone !!

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank carole b
vguerke, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The bed linen condition you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am having our personnel go through every piece of bed linen to check its condition. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at idp@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Independence, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

This is an affordable, friendly place to stay for either long stays or short stays. Every place will have an issue but this place will go out of it's way to fix it. Front desk personell are friendly and very helpful. Management is awesome, they listen. I was looking for a place in KC as I was not from here when I started staying here. They looked up places for me and even called later when they found a better way to get there. The Internet use to be an issue but the problem has been fixed due to management listening. I have been here since May and feel at home. Not all places are perfect but it is how issues are resolved and they do that well here.

Room Tip: one star rating is not that they are bad, they don't have that here
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
vguerke, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write such wonderful things about us. I'm so pleased to hear that our Managers listened and were able to correct any issues you were having. I am also happy to hear that you felt the staff was friendly & helpful. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Evanston, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

I was worried about staying here, thanks to the bad reviews of yesteryear. I called the management and they assured me that management had changed and they were determined to do a better job.
To be fair, the stay was nothing close to the bad reviews from 2011, but I was nonetheless troubled throughout my stay. I'll start with the good things: the front desk staff were friendly and helpful and very eager to help. The rates are cheap and parking space is ample. It's close by to Price Choppers and fast food joints and much is within reach if you have a car. The toilet is clean, which is always a plus.
Here's what troubled me: my room smelt of stale smoke, there were no towels, the kitchenette had bowls/plates/mugs but no spoons/forks (maybe people don't expect that), you can't adjust the picture quality in the room TV (as in, there is no picture adjustment button or option, just volume and channel change), the wireless internet drops constantly (sometimes you lose the connection for hours, and if you want faster internet you have to pay), and someone tried to get into my room one morning and actually did unlock the door with his/her keycard but couldn't get in because I latched the door (so he/she went away). Finally - and this is the one that troubled me most - one morning when I went to my car, I noticed an aerosol spray can had been placed carefully under one of my tires. Now, perhaps I let my imagination run a bit, but it seemed like a prank intended to make a very loud sound, or damage my tires, or splash paint on the undercarriage and hubcap area of my car, or all of the above. Perhaps I am simply paranoid? Perhaps these things do not happen to spray cans if rolled over by a car? But, for a spray can to magically roll itself into place, lodge itself neatly under my front tire, on the driver's side... that just seems a bit much. So, clearly one the longtime residents of the establishment (and many do seem to be longtime residents) saw fit to play a prank on me. That, to say the least, is troubling.
If this sounds like crazy talk, please ignore me.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable accommodations. Each room should be outfitted with basic amenities to help with your cooking needs. It seems that some items were taken or lost, but should have been replaced by our staff. In the future, please know that we keep a limited number of items to support our guests needs behind the Front Desk. Upon request these items will be lent out or given complimentary.

As well, I would like to extend my apologies for the aerosol can. While I am sure that noone meant you any harm or to scare you, we take your thoughts on this very seriously. We are looking into this in order to ensure that a situation like yours does not happen again. Regardless, I am glad to hear that you found the can prior to running it over.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand location in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

After looking at the reviews of other, similarly-priced hotels in the area, we decided that this was our best bet for an overnight on our road trip.
We arrived late (12:30am) and had to call a few numbers before we actually reached a person who could notify the staff that we had arrived. The staff was nice, but the room was disappointing. The bed was flat and squeaky, the pillows were worthless and the decor was shabby.
Our room had no telephone, and the additional lock on the door was broken (it had the swinging arm, but was missing the attachment that actually locks the door).
Right when we had finally settled in, there was a LOUD announcement stating that the area was under official police surveillance. This did not make us feel very safe, especially considering that our door wouldn't bolt.
I guess it was OKAY, overall, but it could have been more comfortable and secure.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay from the comfort of the bed to the cleanliness of the property. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I take your feedback very seriously and am saddened to read that your room did not meet your expectations and the lack of lock on your door made you uncomfortable. The safety of our guests is very important and when situations arise we are the first to respond, ensuring protection.

Joplin, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed here 2 night during the baseball "All-Star" weekend, so the hotel was VERY busy. The front desk people were EXCELLANT; always nice and helpful. We were able to get clean towels, bed sheets, coffee, soap, etc. without any hesitation. Looking at the previous reviews, the bad ones seem to be from a year ago, whatever this hotels has done in that year deserves some praise. The bed was so comfortable, had no problems sleeping at all. Only noise was the occasional people shutting car doors (we were on the first floor near the office). Rooms were very clean and equiped. The only problems I ran into were not having a skillet to cook with. Called before booking room to make sure what the kitchen had, asked Friday night and twice on Saturday and kept being told they would get me one, never did. The internet was not working the entire weekend. A bit frustrating when you're wanting to look up "where to go" while visiting, luckily had local friends that were able to get us around ok. I did not use the fitness center or the pool, so I have no opinion really on those. The room was a bit smaller than i had expected, but it was sufficient. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in can seriously only fit 2 people. The hotel is a bit difficult to find, follow...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
"I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Crossland Kansas City - Independence. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

My experience was wonderful. James, the employee I dealt with was understanding and never rushed me once. I was never bothered and the room was very neat, clean and very quiet. I would recommend this hotel for anyone expecially if you don't have a lot of money or just for a leisure event :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
"Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Crossland Kansas City - Independence. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
BEST WESTERN Truman Inn
Days Inn Independence
#14 of 18 in Independence
Super 8 Independence Kansas City
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Kansas City

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Kansas City - Independence? Share your experiences!