“Jungle Heaven!”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
London
“Jungle Heaven!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We started off our honeymoon with 3 nights at Alila Ubud with the plan to relax after the wedding and travelling from UK... and this is certainly the place to unwind!

We stayed in a Valley Villa which was simply stunning. The views of the rainforest all around were breathtaking and the room itself was fantastic. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and they have thought of everything in these rooms... it's the little details that sometimes make the most difference!

The staff here are all amazing, they are all extremely friendly and cannot do enough for their guests.

The pool which seems to be the major selling point for this hotel is exactly as it appears in the pictures... simply stunning. The only downside to this is the lack of sunbeds around the pool area. On our first day we were unable to get a sunbed however for the other two days this was not a problem.

The other thing that everyone seems to rave about at Alila Ubud is the breakfast... however I found this extremely disappointing. On the first day, it was OK, nothing amazing. On the second day, I ordered two boiled eggs which came out pretty much raw. On the third day we didn't even bother going for breakfast such was our level of enthusiasm for it by then.

The other food in the hotel is generally excellent. We ate in the Plantation restaurant on two evenings, the first was a buffet which was reasonable however the second evening off the a la carte menu was delicious... and washed down with a couple of their white chocolate martinis which were excellent.

Our other meal was our "romantic meal" as part of their honeymoon package. The food (balinese tasting menu) was delicious however the setting felt a little odd. You walk to the end of the pool, through what can only be described as a swamp and then down some steps to your table. The table looks fabulous however is effectively in the middle of a bush... I've never been greeted by a dinner table with bottles of insect repellent rather than wine before!!! You are some what isolated and have no idea if/when the waitress will ever return!

For lunch we ate in the cabana each day and the food there was all extremely good.

The spa is also excellent here. We had the 90 minute therapeutic massage which was fairly brutal but certainly got the knots out!

The sounds and sights of the local wildlife are also enchanting however I would say that if you are put off by bugs then this is probably not the place for you... it is the jungle after all!

Also, if you are not too mobile this may not be the most suitable. It is built on the side of a hill so there are steps everywhere; it was 110 steps from the pool to our room!

Overall a fantastic experience (breakfast aside) that I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Jennie and I arrived at Alila after a 20 hour journey from London. Firstly without our luggage, that got delayed for 24 hours.
From checking in to the welcome drinks. We felt welcomed. The room was beautiful. And yes I'm boasting that we had the best view of the jungle and the swimming pool. (Oh the swimming pool) Jennie got some great pictures of the pool at the crack of done.

Firstly would like to really thank the staff at Alila. Who I believe bent over backwards to make us feel so welcome. And for the first evening. We were presented with complimentary clothes to wear. Now that's what you call outstanding service.

We were treated to a complimentary meal. nasi campur. I so wish that was on the menu. I could have eaten that for breakfast lunch and dinner.

What a beautiful and tranquil place. Nothing but the sounds of the wind and the animals in the jungle. It is truly a magical place.

We were quite upset to see some negative reviews on here. And we strongly believe. That people only attract the experience they deserve. We got 7* service for a 5* venue.
We shall be back. We shall be back.
It was our first stop in our triple centre honeymoon. And as I said earlier. It was the perfect start.
Thanks to the wonderful team at Alila.
You guys should be applauded over and over again.
Ps. Jamu in the morning. Best wake up drink.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank chefBenmj
Alasdair D, General Manager at Alila Ubud, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear chefBenmj,

Greetings from Alila Ubud and thank you very much for the wonderful review. It is always a pleasure to read the positive experiences of our guests and we are so pleased that your stay has left such a great impression.

Having one's luggage delayed is never a great way to start a honeymoon and I'm glad the emergency clothing and warm welcome from the team was well appreciated...

Thank you also for the kind comments on the the nasi campur and the jamu, these breakfast dishes change on a daily basis and allow our guests to experience the true tastes of Bali, however, we will make sure it is ready for your next visit on a daily basis!

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback, the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to your Ubud home on your next trip to Bali.

Kind Regards,

Alasdair Davidson
Wexford
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here in May 2014 with my husband. We split our trip to Bali into two and spent the first three nights in Ubud area and then seven in the Nusa Dua area. Hands down it was the best part of our holiday. The hotel is absolutely stunning...the word serene comes to mind for its surroundings too. Close enough to Ubud (about 10 minute drive by inexpensive taxi) but its set in the jungle area....once you leave the main road you pass through farmland and rice paddies and the hotel itself is set on the edge of a valley that looks down to the river below.

After the journey from the airport when we arrived it was very quiet with beautiful weather and so so relaxing. Check in was quick, smooth and with great service. Our room (Delux) was gorgeous, we were really delighted with it. When you enter there is a large bedroom area with a terrace or balcony (terrace in our case), off the bedroom is the toilet and sink area that leads out to an outdoor shower and huge bath that looked to be made of polished sandstone. I have seen some say that they didnt really like the outdoor shower area but I loved it, its what set the rooms in this hotel apart from others. I also had no issue with privacy, found it all to be fine. The view from the room was also stunning, looking out over lush jungle.

General areas in the hotel are really well maintained and the pool area is gorgeous, a beautiful infinity pool looking out over the valley. There are only a limited amount of sun loungers but we didnt have an issue is getting them when we stayed. There are also lovely walks through the hotel grounds and up through the paddy fields and out into the villages beyond.

The food is one of the high points of this hotel, in both the main restaurant and the pool bar area (gorgeous nasi goreng and pizzas here!) its obvious they they take pride in the food they offer. The first night we had what turned out to be the best meal of our entire trip....the 8 course taster menu. Breakfast was also fab, cooked to order a la carte menu that changes each morning.

The conceriege was also very helpful with regard to advice on what to do in the area and how to arrange it. If you want to visit Kitamani go from here, we ended up leaving it until we went to Nusa Dua as we ran out of time but the journey time from there is much much longer. One thing I would advise though is to book taxis direct with drivers (there are some available at the entrance to the hotel) rather than through the hotel reception as it can work out expensive.

Also found the hotel to be very good value for the calibre of food, drink and service we got. The only thing that we thought was a little expensive was drink but it wasnt really. When we got to Nusa Dua it was much more expensive.

Sit back, relax and enjoy all the various cocktails.....there is a huge range of them and the only way to describe them is as artistic! The bar man has obvious pride in his work and has lots of different bottles of vodka etc all infused with different flavours on the bar. Try the hazelnut martini on the dessert menu.......gorgeous!

The only piece of constructive feedback I would give the hotel is to be careful when booking in large groups. The hotel is small enough, nice and intimate and the pool area not massive....all of which gives a great atmosphere when the hotel has small groups or individual travellers etc. That dynamic changes when a large group enters. Our second day there a large group arrived, the only thing that stopped it having a big effect on the other guests was that they had excursions for the full day which meant that the other guests could enjoy the hotel as intended. If they were there for the full day too I dread to think what it would have been like at the pool area!!

Overall I would go back in the morning, would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and our only regret was that we didnt spend four nights here instead.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe room with the outdoor bathroom. If you can afford it get a private villa!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Curious Person
Rimini, Italy
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Choosing where to stay in Ubud is very difficult because there are too many stunning places and beautiful properties.

I decided to stay at Alila Ubud as I was always been curious to try one of the Alila resorts.
I stayed there just for 2 nights after a week in the craziness of the South coast, looking for some relax in the middle of nature. From this point of view, Alila didn't disappoint me.

It's perfectly located a 10 min drive from the chaos of the center of Ubud, nestled in a beautiful jungle close to Ayung river.
The resort itself is something I would call "relaxed luxury". Alila Ubud it's a member of the Design Hotels but you should not come here expecting to find big designers names furnitures or huge modern architectures (at least not in the Superior rooms). Everything is very simple and natural, and honestly speaking, even a bit tired sometimes. Yes, I loved the whole jungle-concept of this place but i think that some parts of the rooms should be refreshed, especially the bathrooms. Only thing I liked was the huge shower but the rest of the bathroom was kinda a mess. Tiles, WC, mirror and washbasin should be changed ASAP. Alila bathroom amenities were super good tho, I loved their smell.

The bed in my Superior Room was super comfortable and I slept like a baby. That's the point, Alila Ubud is the perfect place to relax and chill out. Take your time to feel the surrounding nature, escape from the traffic of Ubud and chill by the pool, or get an amazing Balinese massage at the Spa. Enjoy some amazing food at Plantation restaurant (went there for dinner and had a yummy tasting menu). That's all you have to do while there and I can guarantee that you won't get tired of it! I spent only two nights at Alila and I wish I could stay longer!

The famous infinity pool is beautiful and long enough for a good swim. I think that one pool is not enough tho, it gets busy during the day and they have a lot of space around the resort for another one. At least they should add more sunbeds as they get all occupied in the early morning.

Service was great, everyone working at Alila was always nice and attentive. Maybe at the restaurant/bar is a little slow yes, but as I already said, while here you just have to relax and become one with the nature.
Complimentary wifi, shuttle service to Ubud, bikes, bottled water, afternoon tea, and much more, cute families of monkeys included.

If only they'd update some things in the rooms I would come back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Skip Superior rooms and go for a Deluxe or a Villa
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank interpol81
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Alila after already spending 5 nights in Seminyak on the first part of our honeymoon. We were blown away with the view, how beautiful! We were also moved by the feel of calmness and serenity of the place, as soon as we walked in we could feel this. The staff immediately greeted us with such warm and friendly service including a cold towel and welcome drink, perfect after 2 hours travel! We were taken to our room by a very friendly and helpful gentlemen. The superior room was lovely with a gorgeous outdoor shower and bath which has full privacy with the benefit of feeling outdoor. The room contains everything you need with all the small details considered an assortment of teas and caffetierre espresso coffee, plus free afternoon tea and coffee every day at the pool! The grounds and pool are a absolutely stunning. We had never stayed somewhere with such breathtaking views. The breakfast is fantastic with an a la carte freshly cooked to order menu (really special compared to many buffet breakfasts) the food and beverage manager Janine is always there to offer help and fab service. Lovely wines and a very good menu mixing Indonesian and western foods. We decided to go mountain biking with Wi, who was an excellent tour guide with exceptional English and local knowledge. The final cherry on the top for us was an upgrade to a private villa on our last night, this was amazing!! We have never received such exceptional and thoughtful service. We would love to go back to Alila!! A special thank you to Aryuana, Wi and Janine (amongst the rest of the fantastic staff) for making our stay on our honeymoon so special. Thank you, Ben and Grace Walker

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Ben W
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here on the first part of Honeymoon for 5 days, I am glad we did as after long flights it was well worth the serenity and chance to explore more of the cultural side of Bali at a more relaxed pace. All the good/excellent comments are equally comparable with what we would say about the hotel. We stayed in the Superior room which gave us an outdoor bath and shower. We loved this. The quality of the service definitely stands out, the staff are immaculately dressed and genuinely are happy to help and/or cater to your needs. The spa is wonderful and whilst you do get a free Balinese massage, we were more than happy to return another day and have a wonderful hot stone massage and reflexology - talk about relaxing in such a beautiful setting! The a la carte breakfasts are truly superb and whilst the restaurant meals are expensive, they really are delicious. Pool is peaceful and afternoon complimentary snacks a surprise treat. All in all a little slice of paradise whilst you watch the monkeys in the trees. I really do recommend you either go out on the complimentary bikes or walk the path the hotel suggests, so that you get to see the local rural area. The complimentary bus into Ubud is useful and as it's so easy and cheap to get a taxi back (around 70,000 INR), I would recommend eating out as there are some great restaurants in Ubud Village that seem like standard places until they take you out to the back where they open up and overlook little rice fields. Monkey Forest is also a must! All in all Ubud and Alila is truly a great place to stay. Ps. Even though we applied plenty of deet, there really wasn't many mosquitos around!

Room Tip: Stay longer than 3 days to get the best chance to see more of the local area at a relaxed pace
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynne C
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Arrived here from Seminyak near the beginning of a few weeks in Indonesia. At this point I was traveling with my mom and we stayed here for 2 nights as part of the 3 faces of Bali package through Alila. This was by far my favorite hotel out of the other two Alila's we stayed at (Villa Idanna and Manggis). The food was delicious at each Alila but I found it to be especially good here. The staff was so nice, friendly and helpful. We had a mishap with the A/C leaking the first night but this got taken care of. The pool is absolutely gorgeous! However, the monkeys are really cheeky and try and take food from guests during tea time. The hotel is almost so nice that you don't want to leave it but Ubud has so much to offer (accessible by shuttle), I wish that my mom and I made a little more effort and spent more time exploring there. Biking through the rice patties is also nice. Spa was amazing! Alila hotels were all around much nicer than other chains/boutique hotels we stayed at through Bali.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Farron1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Alila Seminyak
Viceroy Bali
Viceroy Bali
#10 of 199 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,006 reviews

Been to Alila Ubud? Share your experiences!