Alila Ubud
  • Breakfast included
Ayung Resort Ubud(Payangan)
  • Breakfast included
2,189 results
All reviewsvalley villaplantation restaurantour honeymoonspice marketdeluxe roominfinity pooltasting menurice fieldsoutdoor bathroomafternoon tealocal monkeysshuttle busa la cartesun loungershotel is beautifulmonkey forestbalinese massage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 December 2009

As many other reviews say, Alila Ubud is tired, very tired. The management are obviously tired of caring for guests, cleaning the rooms and maintaining them. they need to look beyond their trademark swimming pool and spectacular location and remember that guests will not pay good money for a Valley Villa that has a bath that you would not use it is so dirty, doors that dont close and allow insects to inundate the rooms, and what must be the most indifferent staff service in the whole of Bali.
We booked and paid 2 months in advance for a 3 night stay but while wanting to check out after the first, persevered through the second but simply could not put up with staying any longer and checked out 1 day early, preferring to pay US$400 to stay elsewhere and forfeit one night.
Their website promotes their "team", well "team" get out on the field and look after the guests that pay your wages.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2009

This place has a great design with a lovely setting. We had a villa overlooking the river valley and it was incredibly romantic. The room was nearly perfect and the balcony was both spacious and had great, mostly private views.

But, as nice as it was, the design is not quite enough to overcome the very attentive but flawed service. Without exception, everyone was much too informal and much too friendly. I would have preferred that the staff not sit with me in a common area and interrupt a conversation with my partner (unless invited). They also failed - after being asked - to keep monkeys away from our poolside drinks and food when we went for a swim.

No one thing was a big deal, but after a time, we just kept waiting for things to happen (and they did, like the room service waiter who made a personal call from our room).

The room service staff was just sloppy and made mistakes with every opportunity, which is unfortunate because even though the portions are tiny, the meals were still pretty good.

The spa was not so good, either. The massages were mediocre at best and when i asked to take a shower because I was slathered in oil, i was told that our 50 minute massage (that was supposed to be 60) didn't leave time for a shower and that we'd be better off showering in our room.

All in all, if you value service over design, I'd stay away. But if you don't care, and just want to stay in a lovely environment, this is your place.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

The Alila is a 'luxury boutique hotel'. It really is. It is outside Ubud, so no 'strolling into town' - you need a taxi or use the free, but infrequent, hotel bus. That's just about the only criticism I could have. We sampled the standard apartment, and were also upgraded to the luxury apartment, which included a physically separated dressing room, a roman bath (well, big enough for several romans) a TV, and several noisy frogs (very small, big croak).
The service was excellent. Staff were very friendly, very helpful. The spa provided Balinese massages. The pool-side was excellent. Food was excellent. Breakfast is fabulous - wonderful fruit, and you must try their version of Balinese pancakes and the black-rice pudding - for breakfast. Smoked salmon omelette etc are alternatives.
After that, we went to a good hotel on Sanur Beach, but though we met some there who had returned over 10-15 years, it wasn't a patch on the Alila. We prefer these 2-centre holidays: 1 week to see the country, 1 week to relax and 'bum around'.
Ubud is an excellent place to sample the real Bali: the land of culture, temples, art, rice terraces, friendly people. I first went there 32 years ago, and thought Bali the most beautiful place on earth: and I've seen 50 countries. I was expecting to be disappointed on my return. I was not.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2009

On arriving at this hotel I was awestruck with the surroundings, tranquility and service. After reading other reviews I was hesitant but I have to say the whole experience was a amazing. From the outside shower in a private courtyard to the outstanding food and friendly and courteous staff this is a place I would return to.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2009

The views from the Alila across the valley from your room and the pool are breathtaking but that should not be your sole reason for coming to this hotel. I found the rooms to be quite dark and voiced concern when after 48 hours room service had not picked up the dishes that were stacked outside of the rooms that I passed when heading down to the restaurant and pool. The waitstaff at the Alila aim to please and the Balinese Coffee/Breakfast provided enough fuel to last throughout the day. If you want to be able to easily get into the town of Ubud, you need to know that this hotel is a 10-15 minute ride from the center of town. There are other hotels along the Ayung river which are closer to town.

• Stayed: October 2009