“Relaxing and Perfect”
Review of Ayung Resort Ubud

Ayung Resort Ubud
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights and didn't want to come home. This hotel is 100% worth what you pay for it. The food is seriously good, including the presentation. The staff at this hotel would greet us by name everyday and treated us in such a nice manner everyday. I agree what someone else posted about the yoga- I love that they offer it for free but the teacher needs more training (it was too fast one of the times I did it and she should explain the poses and breathing more for first-timers). I actually LOVED where the hotel was located. Yes, it is about a 15 minute drive from Ubud central, but I knew that before booking. This hotel is so peaceful and quiet, I didn't to be anywhere else. Not to mention how beautiful the view is in the restaurant. You really feel like you can just relax in peace and quiet, which is exactly what we wanted. We will for sure stay here again on our next Bali adventure.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meg244
Frits H, General Manager at Ayung Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Meg 244,

First of all we would like to thank you, for taking the time to post a review about our beautiful resort.

Your kind words are encouraging and make our staff very proud. We are happy that you have enjoyed your holiday with us and are looking forward in welcoming you back on your next trip to Ubud.

Your comments on the Yoga has been taken and we have enrolled our Yoga staff for further training.

There are newer reviews for Ayung Resort Ubud

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I would normally travel to Bali for business and for the first time I visited Ayung Resort, I have to force my self to attend meetings the next morning because the villa, the view, the huge bed and the cold breeze makes me want to stay. I received a very warm welcome from Elle and their GM Frits who have always been accommodating and welcome guests personally. The staff were all very nice and would always service with a smile. Never miss to eat at their restaurant. Food is fantastic from pastry, starter,main dish to desserts. The spa is also highly recommended, don't miss to try their body scrub and massage. This is my third visit in Ayung and they never failed to exceed my expectations. Cheers!

Room Tip: The villa is perfect for couples, for honeymooners most especially.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AK Sheryl C
Frits H, General Manager at Ayung Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Sheryl

Your kind words are encouraging and makes our staff very proud. We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward in welcoming you back on your next trip to Ubud.

Frits Henskes.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

After a last minute change of plan we booked this hotel the night before arrival not knowing much about it and the gamble paid off. This hotel is fantastic. OK, it's not in Ubud, it's about a 30 minute drive but the setting is fabulous. The food is so, so good. Breakfast was a positive feast! Fresh bread, pastries, muffins that change daily and extensive selection of other food to suit all tastes and nationalities. I don't normally stay in 5 star hotels as I tend to prefer small independent hotels however this had interest (the artwork apparently is from the owners personal collection) and small enough that you didn't just feel like a number. After only one day, most of the staff knew our names and I got the impression they were genuinely happy with their work which made for a lovely atmosphere and good vibe. For me, this hotel is a perfect chill out destination to spend a few days just lapping up the atmosphere, eating amazing food and feeling pampered. My recommendation is perhaps combine a stay here with a few days in central Ubud because once you're in the hotel you'll find it difficult to leave! This hotel is great for friends, couples and solo travellers perhaps less so families.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rosie Y
Frits H, General Manager at Ayung Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Rosie Y,

Your kind words are encouraging and makes our staff very proud. They are happy that you have enjoyed your holiday with us and are looking forward in welcoming you back on your next trip to Ubud.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Spent a too short weekend at the Ayung Resort and it exceeded my expectations. The setting is glorious, the property sprawling and the rooms are large and comfortable. I stayed in a regular room and found it to be comfortable with a beautiful view overlooking the pool. I enjoyed the huge bed and lovely private balcony. I spent hours wandering the property enjoying the art and carvings. ther are paths all the way down to the river making it unnecessary to leave the property. The real surprise was the food which was very sophisticated, brilliantly prepared, using the freshest oflocal ingrediants. Service was sophisticated with a nitely amuse bouche, knowledgable and friendly waitstaff. The house made chacuterie and real wood fired pizza oven were unexpected bonuses. The food was priced very reasonably for its quality and complexity. There was no reason to leave the hotel to eat anywhere else.

I can't say enough about the warm and friendly staff who made every guest feel welcome and were never too busy to spend a few moments making sure you had everything you could possibly need. The Ayung Resort provides an experience that other places in Bali and other places in Asia charge several times as much for. I cannot wait to return for a much longer stay.

Room Tip: The base level room was great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dak94402

Dear Dak94402,

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I had a hard time deciding on the rating. There are many pros and cons with this resort. We stayed there August 31st for 4 nights. It was a last minute booking as we decided to stay in a location with a pool instead of our originally booked room in central Ubud. The price was good, so we decided to give it a chance.

Upon first impression, we were wary. Not only is it pretty far from Ubud proper, it is a long winding road to the resort from the main resort. It is in Payangan, not Ubud. Although they do offer shuttles, just 3 a day, in my opinion is not enough. They should add a shuttle at 8 PM or something like that for guests who want to stay in Ubud for dinner. Although the dinners we had at the restaurant were magnificent! The food was the best we tasted in Bali, so don't panic if you are pretty much stuck just eating dinner at the resort!

Also, as we arrived, we were struck at how tacky the lobby looks. The lobby itself is beautiful (dark woods, intricate ceilings and walls) but the addition of the sculptures is just way too much. I get it that they are still waiting for another building to be finished in order to place those sculptures elsewhere, but maybe they should not be in display now?

We were booked in a Deluxe room, in the Sita building. Again, the sculptures are everywhere, it is just a bit overdone. There are random chess pieces that just don't make sense. I have stayed in many true 5 Star Luxury hotels. This resort claims it is a 5 star luxury hotel on it's website. I am guessing that their higher end rooms might be nicer, but this Deluxe Room is Not 5 star. You can really tell the quality of a hotel by its Deluxe or Superior Rooms. It shouldn't just be felt in their Presidential Suites. The room is very basic, very bare, like they ran out of furniture. It was awkward. The bathroom tiles were showing wear, as were the light fixtures. Amenities are very basic. Turndown service was also all over the place, they would knock on our door at 9PM to turn it down, it is usually done around 5PM, when the guest is not ready to sleep.

The pool is lovely, although the water feels cold at first, it is quite refreshing once you are in it. The pool service is great. I also tried yoga every morning. The teachers were okay, although they did not pay any attention to the students in the class. I observed many people not knowing what in the world they were supposed to do and some were even getting themselves into positions where they could potentially hurt themselves, so maybe a little more attention would be nice.

For the best part of the hotel: the grounds are beautiful. I love the buggy service for the steep hills. I loved that they offered yoga every morning. I loved that the pool was just for the Sita building, so it made it a bit more private. The views from the restaurant are absolutely breathtaking!

The breakfast is truly 5 star and delicious! They have incredible kitchen staff, because the dinners we had there were so amazing. And the prices were spot on with what they offer. The staff are incredible. Everyone greets you, everyone is polite without fail. The staff and the service they provide is absolutely 5 Star! They really elevate the place, taking it above average.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kguerra

Dear Kguerra,

Your comments and suggestions have been taken and will be attended too by our executive team for follow up.

We have been observing the Yoga teachers and made the decision that they indeed need some more training. The rooms in the Sita wing are undeniably not all yet equipped with a sofa arrangement and as such still look a bit under furnished.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times and looking forward in welcoming you back to the Ayung Resort Ubud.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Easily the most impressive place I have ever stayed. If you go to Ubud, stay here. Incredible service, rooms, views, peace and quiet, food. It took 13 years to build this resort and you can see why when you go there. Brilliant :)

Eat at the restaurant, eat at the restaurant. It is again, the best food I have ever eaten. The duck is to die for and the views from the restaurant are also sensational.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are more than enough. The Villa's that we looked at are unbelievable but perh...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Meridarcey
Frits H, General Manager at Ayung Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear Meridarcey,

Your kind words are encouraging and makes our staff very proud. We are happy that you have enjoyed your holiday with us and are looking forward in welcoming you back on your next trip to Ubud.

Frits Henskes.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Fantastic resort. Had the best resort meals we had ever had. We generally eat in a town, but these meals were high dining. very restful, quite, set in beautiful surrounds. Tranquil gardens, yoga in the morning, good gym if required. We would go there again if we could.
The staff were just brilliant, very well drilled.

Room Tip: You will be fine in any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cocky2011
Frits H, General Manager at Ayung Resort Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Cocky 2011,

The whole of the Ayung Resort family is very proud and happy that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward in welcoming you back on your next trip to Ubud.

With Kind regards,
Frits Henskes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Sankara Resort Ubud
Sankara Resort Ubud
#26 of 199 in Ubud
Nandini Bali Jungle Resort & Spa

Been to Ayung Resort Ubud? Share your experiences!