“Paradise - can't possibly ask for more”
Review of Ayung Resort Ubud

Ayung Resort Ubud
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed at Ayung for 7 nights in the amazing villa Wibisana and absolutely loved everything. A big thank you to all the staff of the resort, the service was very warm and efficient. Quite a few people knew us by our names which was really sweet. Food quality in the restaurant was superb, starting from a la carte breakfast menu with a selection of freshly squeezed juices and a vast array of breakfast options and fruits. We were so full every day, but just could not resist to finish off with a nice cup of coffee and a bakery basket (all baked on premises and still warm when served, yum!). Dinner was always a fine dining experience. We especially enjoyed the duck breast with gnocchi, the wagyu sirloin and all of the amazing salads they have. Cocktails were also quite impressive, so was the wine list.
But the best thing was definitely our villa (comes with a huge lounge room with a dining area and your own pool overlooking the rainforest! It was very spacious and impressively constructed with wooden carvings all around and marble finishes. There were plenty of fans and air-conditioners to accommodate any preference. The bathroom was very large and comfortable and had an amazing view, so if you choose to take a bath, it is truly an unforgettable experience.
A balcony wraps around the whole villa so you have unlimited panoramic views of the rainforest and rice fields and even Ayung river. If you are keen on yoga, there is a beginners class every morning at 7.30, otherwise you may prefer to do your own practice on the balcony in the most tranquil setting you can imagine. I really could stay there forever!
Missing it already!
Thank you for the most amazing and relaxing holiday, Ayung!

Room Tip: go for villa Wibisana, it is a bit pricier than a standard room but so worth it, its like having you...

Reviewed 18 March 2014

There's a reason this resort has so many excellent reviews. My partner and I stayed for 3 nights and the tail-end of our Bali holiday. We picked it based on the reviews on TA and were not let down.

Our expectations were actually blown away. From the moment you enter the check-in lobby with ceiling high carvings and smiles on all the staff, all the way to the lobby in the rooms and the lush green views on the golf-cart ride down there.

The place is so tranquil and peaceful that at night the only sound you hear are the insects and the occasional monkey (yes we saw monkeys in the trees).

The rooms are massive, everything is just grand at Ayung. The fine dining at night is a treat, only shadowed by the equisite breakfast (the highlight of our trip).

For around $120-$150USD you are getting a resort, service and an experiance worth five times the value.

We will be back, there is no doubt.

Thankyou Ayung

1  Thank Liam P
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Arrived after a lot of travel into this beautiful resort nestled into the hillside overlooking the jungle and a gorge. Lovely clean spacious room near beautiful pool. Restaurant open to marvelous views and food quite superb. Very tranquil, charming staff and very good price for such a lovely facility.

Room Tip: I did not see any bad rooms, there were a lot of stairs to pools and restaurant and I am not clear i...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just spent 4 fantastic nights at this resort and it could not have been better. The tranquility of the hotel really stands out, perched above a river gorge, surrounded by forest it is a peaceful and beautiful setting. We stranded in the laksmana wing and had a spacious room with a balcony above a massive swimming pool. All staff were great, friendly and attentive.

The resort has substantial grounds, with statues, wall carvings, a deer park and numerous pathways running through it. There is a gym plus they do yoga in the mornings.

Breakfast is great, you have included a la carte menu and you are able to order whatever and as many dishes as you like. A far nicer system than a buffet.
The restaurant is perched above the river and you can often spot white water rafters passing. The also serve a complimentary afternoon tea.
There is a pizza restaurant which we tried once, pizzas are decent.
We had dinner one night in the resort, this was the worst meal, although still pretty good. We both ordered Asian dishes and they lacked the 'flavor punch' I would expect.

There are 3 free shuttles to ubud daily and you can also get a return shuttle for $7.5US return per person in the evening. Taxi is $100k rupiahs to the hotel. The ride to Ubud is around 30mins.

Negatives: (not really any) but the wifi is patchy in the rooms, but fine from our balcony plus the pool and restaurants. The Resort is quite open aired so there are bugs around, plus saw a monkey and a snake. These are more pros personally but might not be for all!

If we return to the Ubud area we would definitely return to the Ayung

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Tripadvisor reviews are 100% true - this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. I couldn't believe the price, we paid $110USD per night, booking through Agoda, and I couldn't get over how fantastic the entire experience was, for so cheap! The whole place is so beautiful, serene and comfortable. I never wanted to move from where I was. The bed was so comfy, I never wanted to wake up, the room balcony was so peaceful, I didn't want to move, the view at breakfast was so spectactular, I couldn't stop looking, etc. etc.

I won't repeat what everybody else said, but will add a few other comments:
- We booked the basic room in the Sita Wing, and it felt first class all the way. The rooms were huge, and pool was hardly busy so it felt like we were staying in a private villa with 5 star treatment. The staff even brought us cold water and towels to cool off with, when they saw we were at the pool for a long time.
- I highly recommend devoting at least one day of your trip to stay on the resort. Usually when travelling, I plan lots of excursions and activities, but you should definitely enjoy the resort and its facilities for at least one day. There is the daily yoga class and afternoon tea. Plus we spent a few hours just walking around the grounds. The artwork is exquisite and nicer than a lot of the art work we saw off of the resort. Also there is a park with a few deer, and you can walk down to Ayung River.
- The afternoon tea is lovely, and takes place from 4pm until at least 5:30pm. You each get a cup of tea, and there are four small snacks for each person to try. It changes everyday.
- The breakfasts are out of this world! And yes, you can order as much as you like. My boyfriend and I always ordered an embarrassing amount of food because it was so delicious, and the staff never got upset. I highly highly recommend the bakery platter, it was the freshest baked goods I have ever had. If we were to ever order a breakfast like that in north america, with so much food and of such high quality, it easily would've cost $100 for two people in itself.

I was so sad to leave the place, and dream of going back. Book it now!!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

From the moment we arrived at the hotel after being collected from the airport by their driver, everything was wonderful from the reception we got, the room overlooking the pool with a large balcony, the attentive staff to the superb food. Sadly we only stayed two nights and wished we had been able to stay longer. Set in beautifully landscaped gardens complete with many carvings and surrounded by jungle, we had a fabulous (steep) walk down to the river at the bottom to see the white water rafting. The food was a revelation in itself as the quality and presentation were exquisite; breakfast provided such a huge choice it was difficult to decide where to start with staff encouraging you to have any combination and try everything! We did not use the free shuttle into Ubud as we found the surroundings so peaceful and had no desire to go anywhere else during our short stay. An outstanding place to stay and wholeheartedly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms with balcony overlooking the pool are very large.
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I decided to stay in Ayung only 2 of my 4 night stay in Bali and I'm totally regretting it. I wish I would have stayed here the entire time. The service is impeccable. The food unimaginably good. And the location is fantastic. It is nestled amongst the rainforest. The views are breathtaking. The rooms are incredibly appointed and spacious. The stay is friendly, courteous and so helpful and knowledgeable. I will definitely be back to Bali and I'll undoubtedly stay at Ubud!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank pt3571
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Sankara Resort Ubud
Sankara Resort Ubud
#26 of 199 in Ubud
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Ayung Resort Ubud? Share your experiences!