The Ayung Resort is perfect in many ways - beautiful location, extremely friendly and welcoming staff, and really good food in the restaurant. The morning yoga was also enjoyable, if a little basic.
But, for a hotel claiming 5 stars, and charging 5 star prices, some things were a little off...
The rooms are extremely large (we stayed in the Sita Wing), but bizarrely they have very little furniture in them so they feel very empty. The bed was comfortable, but the only chairs were wooden chairs that you would expect to see around a table. Similarly on the balcony, which had a lovely view over the swimming pool, the only thing to sit on was these wooden 'dining room' chairs - not ideal for relaxing.
- The rooms don't have basic amenities like hair dryers and irons. All of these have to be requested separately, and when I did request an ironing board the one provided was very rusty.
- There are no staff based in the Sita Wing. One evening, after going swimming, our room key would not work. It took us ages to find someone to help, then they had to go back to reception to get a new key, then come back. This took some time, and at no point did anyone apologise.
- The hotel is about a 20 minute drive from Ubud, and the free shuttle runs only 3 times per day. Although we booked a place on the shuttle the whole experience was very chaotic. In the morning the shuttle bus arrived and there was not enough space for everyone who had booked. The doorman arranged extra buses but didn't really explain what was going on so it was quite confusing for everyone involved.
Overall, These experiences were not really a problem but they weren't 5 star experiences either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ayung Resort is a breathtaking, mystique and unique lifestyle hotel, perched high up on the bank of a mostly untouched tropical mountain rainforest gorge, in the traditional Balinese village of Payangan Ubud, surrounded by the gentle, spiritual tranquility and pace of Balinese life. Along this serene 8 hectares rain forest domain runs The Ayung, Bali’s most sacred mountain river. In the rocks of the hotels pathways and along it’s 600 meters long riverbank fronting the Ayung Resort, 250 of the finest Balinese Stone Carvers have painstakingly worked,for over a 2 year period,to carve the spectacular Hindu mythologies, Ramayana and Mahabharata amongst others. These stone carvings have become the most sought after photo opportunity of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, TravelUp and Prestigia so you can book your Ayung Resort Ubud reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ayung Resort Ubud Bali/Payangan