We had no idea what to expect and didn't realise this was part of the high-end Orient Express chain ... from the moment we arrived, we were beaming with delight! The hotel is built in a 'cascading style' down a mountain, in a jungle/forest, to a rushing river. Each villa has its own private infinity pool jutting out into the trees that is pretty much obscured from other villas etc. We were warmly welcomed and escorted via the almost-silent funicular down to our villa for our welcome drink and cold towel (very nice after a 5 hour flight and almost 2 hour bus trip). We had a 2 bedroom/level villa for 4 people and it was relatively spacious and well equipped. The decking area with sun lounges and an outdoor table is where we spent most of our time, including before breakfast, when the steam rises off the pool in the morning sun ... beautiful, breathtaking. The room service was excellent and the food (considering the poshness of the place overall) was reasonably priced and delicious. The breakfast buffet is exceptional and again, the service is great. Afternoon tea in the cafe is a lovely experience by the river. The treatment spa is semi-open air and we enjoyed a really good facial and massage there with the friendly and professional staff. We also had a few hour-long Balinese massages by the main pool, which was hard to beat! When we arrived at the balcony restaurant at night, which looks across the valley to the lit-up temple opposite, we were greeted with a fresh flower, and the food and cocktails were awesome, although after 3 nights (we were there for 4) the dinner & specials menu could be a bit repetitive. The 2 level pool with the water cascading from the top to the bottom is probably the most amazing pool we've ever seen!!! We would love to go back one day. It's a great place to escape from the world, which was just what we wanted. They run a shuttle to Ubud (a 30min drive) and back several times a day and we did go one day, but otherwise this is the kind of place you just stay put; it's too beautiful to leave the views, the peace and the clean air. Great for friends and couples (so romantic), but probably not right for small kids, and probably too quiet/boring for teenagers! Our only feedback is to stop using small plastic bottles of water (especially the imported Evian) - which you need for drinking, brushing your teeth etc - they should install spring water dispensers in the villas, bars etc and you should get a jug to your table when you want water.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hanging Gardens of Bali is a luxurious destination in the heart of the jungle. It is situated near Payangan, a village North of Ubud, whilst the hotel rests in the centre of the magical island of Gods. The enchanting five star luxury resort has 44 private suites and individual villas, each enhanced by its own granite infinity pool, rippling into the jungle below. Each villa is designed with traditional Alang Alang thatched roofs in complete harmony with nature. In 2014, TripAdvisor and Conde Nast Traveller named our Twin-Tiered Cascading Pool as the World's Best Pool and number one honeymoon destination in Bali by Conde Nast Traveller. In 2015 Hanging Gardens of Bali has been awarded: World Luxury Hotels Awards, Seven Star Global Luxury Awards and World Travel Awards as well as other prestigious recognitions, such as the World Luxury Spa Awards and the World Luxury Restaurant Awards. The renowned Garden Restaurant serves innovative Indonesian dishes with Asian flare and Mediterranean delicacies flavoured with the local herbs and spices grown on the land and freshly-caught fish from the Jimbaran Bay. The truly luxurious Spa Collection combines natural, local ingredients and ancient techniques to create beauty therapies and treatments that soothe the mind, rejuvenate the body and energize the soul. Complimentary shuttles to Ubud center are scheduled daily for guests. The airport is around 90 minutes away by road depending on traffic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Hotelopia, Ctrip TA and Prestigia so you can book your Hanging Gardens of Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ubud Hanging Gardens By Orient-Express Hotel Payangan
- Hanging Gardens Ubud
- Hanging Gardens Hotel Ubud
- Hanging Gardens Of Bali Payangan