“Amazingly beautiful. You won't want to leave!”

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
New York
“Amazingly beautiful. You won't want to leave!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The property is gorgeous. I arrived late at night so was completely surprised when I woke up in the morning and looked out my window to see my private pool and view of the lush green gardens. I was greeted by friendly staff after a very long journey. They even left me snacks and drinks, free of charge, in my room since the on-site restaurant was already closed. My room was gorgeous with a king sized bed, covered by a mosquito net that hung from the hut shaped roof, and made the bed look enchanting. There was a huge window that looked out onto my private pool and into the gardens. I also had a patio deck, gazebo, lounge chairs and an outdoor shower. The indoor bathroom was very spacious with a rain shower head and double sink.
The service is impeccable! Everyone was friendly to talk to and went out of their way to make sure my stay was perfect. The breakfast buffet is huge and delicious, with many local fruits and cuisines, and many standard breakfast items also. Breakfast was included in my room rate.

Aside from the private pool in my room, I had access to the main pool on the property, which was a two-level infinity pool, named one of the top 10 in the world by Elite Traveler. The property was well maintained and it was beautiful to just walk around the grounds and explore. For example, I walked down to the river one day and then up a stone-stepped path to a temple that overlooked the property. the hotel offers a free shuttle center to the center of Ubud, based on a schedule. They can also help connect you with a taxi service if you need to make other plans.

I loved every minute of my stay and was sad to leave!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer toward the top of the property to avoid having to ride two funiculars to the l...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
bengottosmith, Front Office Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Fascias,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write about our property – the words of praise from such a seasoned reviewer as yourself mean the world to us all here and have been shared with the whole team.

You’ve also captured some lovely photos!

We very much look forward to your next visit.

+62-361 982 700, fo@hanginggardensubud.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Let me first say that when it comes to hotels, I am a persnickety snob.

That's why I'm even more surprised that this place left me speechless. The bullet points:

Sheer Beauty: This is one of the world's most photogenic spots. I am no Richard Avedon, but I couldn't seem to take a bad picture.

Main Pools: Pictures of me in the pools drove my friends to fits of jealous rage. I love that. If there are sexier pools in the world, I haven't seen them.

Private Pools: The pools attached to rooms are perfect for sipping a glass of wine and watching dusk settle over the valley.

The Staff: Really splendid. Friendly without being obsequious and genuinely interested in getting to know the guests without being invasive. What I found most impressive, though, was their uncanny ability to disappear when not needed but be immediately available when their presence was called for. It gave you the sense that you were all alone in a perfect, private setting, yet, somehow, were still a guest at a full service resort. Bravo!

Bonus-- The Monkeys: They came to escort us up the steps on the last day. It was a memory I'll take with me forever. These gentle, intelligent creatures were spectacular.

One note: Parents, think long and hard about bringing young/younger children. On day two there were 2 boys splashing and screaming in the pool. Not only was it awkward for my fiancee and myself, it was truly uncomfortable for the children's parents. The place is a haven of rest an relaxation and screaming children are jarringly incongruous.

Room Tip: we had room 14. the view was mind boggling.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Dear David,

Many thanks for your lovely review – we are delighted that you enjoyed the beauty of our setting and especially pleased you enjoyed our service so much – your kind words have been passed onto our staff, who are always very grateful and encouraged by feedback.

Do please come back and see us again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The service delivered wasn't what I had expected of a six star hotel. During my stay there, some of the staff, instead of greeting me, always asked me this question first: "what is your room number", or "are you staying here". I find this rather rude and this definitely doesn't make me feel welcome as a paying guest. As a teenager who went there with my family, I find that some of the staff don't take me seriously. For example, when I went into the open air lift that goes up and down diagonally with an adult, the staff operating the lift would greet us warmly. However, when I went into the lift alone, I did not receive any greeting, not even a smile, from the guy in charge of operating the lift. I may be younger than him, but does that mean that I should ,because of my age, receive a lousier service, though I paid the same price as any of the adult guess there?

While waiting for my room to be ready after checking in, I borrowed a bike from the hotel to go biking around the neighbourhood. However, even after adjusting, all of the bike seats were too high, such that my feet could not touch the ground. And its not like Im abnormally short. There was only one bike size available. I feel that there should be more bikes of different sizes available. Because my feat could not touch the ground, I could not stop the bike properly, and badly bruised my knee while falling when cycling down a slope.

The food was very well presented. However, the texture was not good. I had The Cambodian Amok for dinner. It was towards the pricier side, but still rather reasonable for a restaurant hotel dish. I expected the barramundi to be tender with more coconut gravy. However the burramundi was dry with no gravy at all. Just a dab of coconut cream was on the barramundi. For a dish with "Coconut" in the menu description, the amount of coconut served with it was miserable. The resulting dish, together with steamed rice for the side, was a very dry and unappetising dish, a dish I would not order again.

I also tried the red snapper. In my opinion, it was dry and lacked flavour. The dish that I enjoyed most from the dinner menu was the half cooked barramundi with ginger and cream. The meat was tender and not overpowered with ginger. It was a little like sashimi with cream sauce, and I love sashimi.

The cleanliness was fine. I do not mind the interesting forest insects within the hotel room vicinity. However, lots of dead insect wings were littered on the outdoors bathtub facing the private pool and I find that quite disgusting. That could actually be easily prevented if the staff cleaned that up before the guest checked in.

Also, the bathroom does not have enough privacy as a see through rattan mat is used as the blinds for privacy. If I were to share a room with someone im not very close to, such as a busness partner etc, it would be scary to bathe in such a bathroom whereby anyone walking outside the bathroom can see you bathing in full view.

It would be great to have the popular cartoon network channel included to the list of tv chanels provided.

That's about all I have to complain. Other than that, The atmosphere, ambience and location is a six star hotel standard. I especially enjoyed swimming in the private pool with the lush jungle surrounding me. Just to clarify, There were staff who were very friendly, that provided the "six star hotel service". However, its just that not all the staff were performing up to this standard.

The reason why I gave the overall rating to be "average", despite the excellent ambience, is because I find that service matters most. I have to admit that I was extremely critical when reviewing this hotel, because it is very expensive, and also because of its reputation as a six star hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PulpSaber
bengottosmith, Front Office Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear PulpSaber,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Please accept our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations. I am sorry that you felt everything wasn’t perfect for your stay with us.

We don’t have as many teenagers as we would like visiting the hotel, so your feedback is invaluable and we will incorporate your suggestions for improvement. We pride ourselves on the level of gracious hospitality, our staff are from the nearby villages, and have been with us since we opened nearly 10 years ago and are trained and experienced.

I am surprised and disappointed they lapsed in the regards you mentioned and truly apologise for that. We have recently introduced an aggressive improvement plan and we have added a specific section to these plans to ensure our guests of all ages have the same wonderful experience with us.

All of your points have been passed on to the relevant team members and, to be a little more specific, we are currently reviewing staff and guest interactions and how we can offer a more personalised service, facilities such as bicycles and how we can make these better, and our entire menu, having taken our kitchen team through all your points.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in hopes of you noting our improvements for yourself. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

fo@hanginggardensubud.com
+62-361 982 700
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We spent 3 nights of our honeymoon at Ubud Hanging Gardens. The views are incredible, the rooms are spotless and the cable car makes the hill no problem at all! We stayed in a villa at the bottom of the valley, so we overlooked the waterfall and river. All you can hear is the sound of water. The infinity pool is so luxurious and we even woke up one morning to monkeys taking a dip! You can see a couple of other villas to the left and right, but it still felt private. (The only thing that needs improving is the lift to get down to the final level...it smells damp and feels at odds with the rest of the resort.)
The only thing we wouldn't recommend about Ubud Hanging Gardens is Ubud itself! We took the free minibus into Ubud and 2 hours later we were waiting for the first bus back to Hanging Gardens! Lots of people rave about Ubud, but we found it loud, chaotic and polluted. Having travelled round South East Asia, it has a similar feel to other towns - lots of mopeds and people asking if you want a taxi every 5 steps. For us, we much preferred spending our honeymoon on the beaches of Bali or in Hanging Gardens itself.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the bottom have less of a view but are slightly more private
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Viv,

Thank you so much for your kind review last year. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and have shared your feedback with our team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Ketut
Resort Manager
resortmanager@hanginggardensubud.com
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Ubud Hanging Gardens is the perfect retreat from more crowded spots of Bali.

For our 3D2N stay, we received a free upgrade to a Duplex Family Pool Villa, with a private infinity pool, indoor & outdoor shower/bath and a luxurious king-sized 4-poster bed. Getting to Ubud town centre is possible by the hotel's free shuttle bus services and takes just 30 minutes. We also enjoyed the dinner at the restaurant overlooking sweeping view of the surrounding forest and a Balinese temple - pricey but worth it.

Most of all it was the location and the hospitality that swept us off our feed. In the end, we left with heavy hearts but truly satisfied that the Hanging Gardens has been our paradise in Bali.

Tip: Before reaching the town centre, try requesting for a drop-off at Nasi Ayam Kedewatan for local chicken rice. It's a treat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie S
bengottosmith, Front Office Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Charlie,

Thank you for your kind review – our entire team is appreciative and energized by your positive recognition of our hospitality.

We look forward to your return.

Warm regards,

Ketut Putra, Front Office Manager, Hanging Gardens Ubud.
Berlin, Deutschland
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I came to Ubud Hanging Gardens with my parents for one stage of our holiday and we absolutely loved it.

It is a little hard to find, but thats because it is in an absolutely beautiful and secluded area, only 20 minutes outside of Ubud.

Once you arrive at the hotel you are absolutely blown away by the view and the very friendly stuff. To get to your room you can either use the "elevator" or stairs so if you feeling lazy you dont need to walk one stair ;)

The room (we had a family room, 2 stories) is so beautiful designed with a typical indonesian style and the pool and outside area makes it just perfect. The bathrooms are big and clean and have the closet inside which i found perfect. There where enough towels (inside and outside) and sunchairs outside. You can order your food to the room, so you really dont need to leave the room if you dont want to ;)
It is amazing to sit on the ouside deck and watch the monkeys come and drink out of the pool, as long as you dont feed them there are not bothering you at all and it was always our highlight of the day to see them coming (we even stayed at home to wait for them).

The room got cleaned twice a day and in the evenings we had a nice little paper with a quote on the bed. The little things lika that made it so special for us.

The restaurant was also very very nice and had a nice view at the temple across the river (also worth a visit!!!). The staff was so friendly and remembered our name and knew which kind of wine we like and all that. We felt very special! Thanks for that :) The food was very good and we had the special cocktail which was very good every day (they shake it at your table - another little thing that made it so special).
Breakfast was so good that i actually looked forward to it and normally i dont really eat breakfast. There was a wide range of everything you need.

All in all the hotel is very special and has its own touch, that it feels like its kind of got a history, if you know what i mean? We were more than happy with our stay and i hope i will make it back there again soon!!!!

Thank you for making our stay so perfect.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Isabel A
Dear Isabel,

Thank you for your lovely review, which we have proudly shared with the owners, management and staff.

I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again soon – you’ll see we are working on a programme of subtle improvements to hopefully make your next stay even more perfect!

Warm regards,

Ketut Putra, Front Office Manager, Hanging Gardens Ubud.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Hanging Gardens has one of the most beautiful views outside of Ubud. The rooms are nice and clean, but need updating. We enjoyed our stay and would suggest it to friends if you're into big hotels. The food was a bit pricey and they go around with ipads during your meals, selling you on excursions and packages. One of our best experiences we had here was the dinner and blessing ceremony at the temple across the way. If you're going here to stay close to Ubud, I would look other places. It takes about 30 minutes to get to the city center of Ubud from here. Lovely hotel, just would make a few changes.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank justledouxit
Dear Justledouxit,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and comments with us.

We will include these in our refreshment and renovation plans, and hope you will return to allow us to welcome you back, share with you these improvements, and show you how we have gone from ‘alright’ to ‘out of this world’!

+62-361 982 700, fo@hanginggardensubud.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
Nandini Bali Jungle Resort & Spa
Komaneka at Bisma
Komaneka at Bisma
#14 of 196 in Ubud

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!