“Hillside Paradise”

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed at this beautiful hotel just after it opened. It was beautiful, stunning rooms with personal plunge pool which was so welcome in the sticky heat. The hotel pool was truly awesome and from the edge of the upper level quite a thrill. Food and service excellent and the setting is perfect for unwinding. Be prepared for a hillside setting, you need to use the funicular lift/train to go down to the restaurant and pool area if you have one of the higher suites, another treat as it is efficient and quite fascinating as you drop through the buildings and the vegetation. I highly recommend the hotel but would not want to be there more than a few days as I like to be active.

Room Tip: Try to get a room higher up the hotel as it is set into a hillside and the views down into the bowl...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Alan J
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Alan,

We are thrilled with your recent review and that you enjoyed your stay here so much – thank you so much for taking the time to write about us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I spent the day at Hanging Gardens, visiting a friend who was staying at the resort. Apparently, the swimming pool is featured in Trip Advisor's list of best pools in the world and it definitely lives up to their reputation.

The resort is 30 minutes from Ubud, so away from the bustling city and even during the day I could hear the lovely lulling noises of jungle animals. The resort cascades down a steep hill, and fortunately there's a funicular to carry guests up and down the mountain. Although you may want to take the stairs because the food is divine.

The lunch was delicious, from lychee spritzers to the whole grilled snapper, and of course dessert! We enjoyed cappuccinos and dessert poolside - just a heavenly experience. I was curious to see the rooms, and our friend let us use his shower. The villa was stunning and would definitely recommend highly! The staff are all friendly, professional and extremely gracious.

The resort is going through a major renovation so will be even more amazing. I look forward to returning and will definitely recommend Hanging Gardens to my friends and family. Thank you for a wonderful day!

9  Thank AnneXuan
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I spent three nights here in mid Jan 2014 and really enjoyed my visit. The setting of the hotel is truly spectacular. You feel like you are in the jungle with the roar of the river in the background. The hotel recently parted ways with Orient Express and I believe is being managed by the owners. The rooms could use some "tender loving care", as I would not consider them 5 star quality but I believe that the new mgt. is planning on making changes. The food in the restaurant was very good. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast buffet everyday and two dinners during our stay. They have a new chef, Jason, who knows what he is doing. The absolute best part of our stay was interacting with the staff. They could not have been nicer. Every single employee was gracious, friendly, and truly interested in making our visit the very best. I would not hesitate in returning to the Hanging Gardens Ubud.

4  Thank TheTobster
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Overall this place was amazing, the views everywhere were gorgeous and better than you can picture. Due to the high price tag, we only stayed 2 nights. I don't usually stay in 5 star resorts so I don't have a lot to compare to. Arriving there we were so awestruck we could hardly talk! The villa was a great setting and it had a private infinity pool which was fun. The main infinity pools were the main reason we decided to go here and they didn't disappoint!
One downside to the main pool, they only have a couple chairs and when we got there they were taken by people who were not even staying at the hotel. Apparently you can pay to use the pool for the day. So I guess if you are on a tight budget I would skip the hotel and pay to use to pools. The balcony of the villa needed better chairs to lounge in too, if I'm being picky. There are a lot of bugs and creatures in Bali and they had mats on the floor of the balcony that were wet from the night rain. I would have loved to be able to relax comfortably on the balcony but sitting on wet mats covered in ants did not look appealing.
One thing to note about this hotel, it is not in Ubud. It take 30 minutes to get there by car which is a bummer. They do have a shuttle but they drop you at the end of town and it only runs every 2 hours. We wanted to explore Ubud more but were so tired from all the walking and didn't want to miss the shuttle back because we would have to wait 2 hours for the next one.
The free breakfast was amazing! So many options and they even cook certain dishes for free by request. We never ate at the resort any other time because the prices were very high compared to restaurants in Ubud.
My friend got a bad case of Bali belly and the hotel provided a doctor that came to the room and treated her which was great. Who knows how long we would have had to travel to get to a clinic/hospital. While we were stuck in the room we were able to rent free dvds from the shop which was a nice perk but had she not gotten sick we probably wouldn't have needed it.
Overall, we had a great time at Hanging Gardens. The staff was super friendly and we never experienced a better view while in Bali. I would definitely recommend it for a splurge.

6  Thank Omaha114

Dear Omaha,

I saw your review of Hanging Gardens Ubud and wanted to personally thank you for your kind words, which have been shared with the team here, who always appreciate feedback.

It's such a shame your friend was unwell but glad our doctor could help.

And just to let you know that we have both stopped non-guests using our pool and are expanding the number of pools beds available.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again at Hanging Gardens Ubud.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Came with the wife for the bamboo deck picnic lunch... Unfortunately due to heavy rainfall the previous night, the bamboo deck was out of bounds but we were offered and excellent alternative in a secluded part of the property, and had a simply amazing lunch with our own personal butler.

Duck spring rolls, ham/mozzarella sandwiches, prawn skewers, fruit platters, salads... The food just kept on coming. And the service was fantastic too.

Also the manager treated us to a tour of the resort ending with a free cocktail. No complaints here. Thanks for looking after us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Anil_aka_Amo

Dear Anil,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your lunch and resort tour and have shared your feedback with our team here.

Do come back and visit us again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I can keep on and on saying good things about this hotel. Fantastic, fabulous! Breakfast was amazing. The personalized glass-container jam was something that I cannot forget. The view from the restaurant was simply amazing. The restaurant accommodate all 3 meals of the day but you can also have lunch in the cafe area near the spa (where we finally saw the monkeys!! And they were the black ones! Which are famous to be shy and are not easy to be seen around the hotel, not like the grey ones). Talking a little bit about the food: Soto Ayam was very authentic, any locals would easily say that it was like grandma's cooking; The famous Beef Rendang was not authentic but my boyfriend said that it was the best Beef Rendang he ever tried. Still about the food, please try the picnic lunch, it was a really really nice experience. Guests could choose between garden or river, we were lucky to have the river as I thought it was more natural.

People were very friendly, in a nice way. They know every single of us. We could easily feel like important people and in the same time it could feel like home. The funicular which transported us to different levels of the hotel was something that I bragged about to my friends and family, I found it funny.

Room was fab. Can't complain. We stayed in the Panoramic villa, which I recommend, so then ones will not see trees in front of them whilst swimming :) If I'm not mistaken, our Panoramic villa was the second from the top and the view was already amazing. We were very keen to see the monkeys hung out around our private villa pool, unfortunately none of them ever showed up.

Spa was of course very good.

Room Tip: In my opinion, Panoramic villa is better than the Riverside villa.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Astri R

Dear Astri,

We are thrilled with your recent review and that you enjoyed your stay here so much – than you so much for taking the time to write about us.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again at Hanging Gardens Ubud.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Everything went really well as we booked for our wedding mid 2013 but after the management change, all that we've expected went down hill... customer service, communication, organization all went down hill from there, response time will be about a week or two before they would response and every time your event coordinator will change without notice... all that you have discussed with will need to be summarized again with a new person. The place must have been magnificent, but with the services they provided, our wedding has to be changed to somewhere else. If you are looking for a venue to host something special, give the place a bit more time to reorganize itself before thinking of booking this place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank DoMA58
bengottosmith, Public Relations Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear DoMA58,

We are truly sorry that our management changeover had a negative impact on the planning for your wedding.

We are indeed in the process of putting a new wedding planning team in place and can understand your frustration that our new staff were not up to speed with the plans for your important day - sadly the previous management chose not to hand over to us any details of existing events bookings.

Our new team know how important it is to be 100% confident in all the details for your big day and, while we are very sad you will be married elsewhere, understand this decision.

Would you perhaps consider visiting us for your honeymoon? If this is an option please contact me personally on media@hanginggardensubud.com and I will make sure your honeymoon is unforgettable.

Warm regards,

Hannah
+62-361 982 700
media@hanginggardensubud.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
Kamandalu Ubud
#41 of 199 in Ubud
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!