“A Little Disappointing”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
Paris, France
“A Little Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

After seeing the Ubud hanging gardens’ pool on the internet I knew I had to go there. So, I planned our annual vacation to Bali. We spent the first part of our trip to Denpasar and took a 2 hour drive to Ubud to spend the last 3 days of our trip relaxing by their pool.

Upon arrival the staff told us that the pool was under construction. I was so furious! Management should have contacted us and told us that the pool was under construction. We were staying at the Jimbaran Puri Bali just before coming to the Hanging gardens, and they could have easily contacted us there. (The 2 hotels were both under the Orient Express chain until 6 months ago.) We felt a little duped when we travelled 24 hours and were informed upon arrival. Like, where were we going to go? We’re in the middle of the jungle. They offered to put us in another hotel but it wasn’t as nice as what we had reserved so we stayed. After complaining about the screaming kids next door they offered to upgrade our room. To make up for the inconvenience, they offered us a free massage and a 50% discount on the food.

The upgrade, the discount and the free spa treatment made up for the pool being closed, but I still felt annoyed that no one told me about the pool before we arrived, or responded to my requests for a reconfirmation before our trip.

The resort had another pool but it was really hard to get to. I wore heels when I went to see it upon arrival, and I had to have help getting there.

The rooms were nice but not super clean. Our infinity pool was uncomfortably cold and we asked several times to heat it up. We didn’t realize, but someone from engineering had come to fix it and was unable to due to the pool construction. We were never told that engineering couldn’t fix it, so we just kept complaining. I wish someone would have told us that it couldn’t be fixed so we wouldn’t have to complain again and again.

The staff was really nice and they were all working really hard. Their English wasn’t the best, but it was pretty good. The food was good and the breakfast was okay.

The resort itself is really beautiful. The view is amazing and I loved the funiculars. My husband and I had a massage by the river and it was one of the better massages that I’ve had. And I don’t know how they did it, but there really weren’t that many bugs/mosquitoes.

I would think this resort would be best for honeymooners and couples that just want to relax, but there were lots of kids there. I was really surprised.

I’m not sure if I would recommend this hotel. I heard that this hotel recently switched management and maybe they are having some growing pains. I think once they finish their construction and work out a few kinks, I think this hotel will be really nice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Amy M
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us and I want to start with an apology that your stay was so far below expectations. We understand and have noted carefully all your feedback.

There is simply no excuse for the things you mention around the construction, but we thought it may help you understand how they came about: we closed the hotel in early April for some major upgrades to the hotel, which should all have been finished by the time you arrived. Sadly very heavy rains caught us unawares and delayed the works considerably, which in turn has a knock-on effect onto other staffing areas of the hotel such as the villa pool maintenance.

I am particularly sorry that we didn't manage to contact you prior to your arrival - to be honest the delays caught us unaware and we did our best to contact incoming guests, but clearly did not reach everybody.

We realise that holiday time is precious and that nothing can compensate for your stay being less than perfect, but would like to offer you compensation if you could be so kind as to contact me directly on rm@hanginggardensubud.com.

Warm regards and apologies again,

Ketut,
Resort Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I saw this hotel in russian TV show and decided to see it.
Well....it was an excellent experience.
Fantastic views, personal pool, welcome fruits and drinks and everyone cares about you.
Dinner in restaurant was fantastic....Cornetto chicken is amazing.
Spa is luxury and great. You will remember it forever.

Highly recommended as something really unique when you are in Bali.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stay there for 1 night, attracted by the infinity pool, its as amazing as in the picture, but mind for it is not for children cause they dont put a lifeguard in the pool, the room is a beautiful tradional room, too bad in our private pool, the gazebo is dirty, and a lot of ant & bug crawling,the view is a hill sourrounding and you can hear the ayung river below, very relaxing,the food is good, eventough a bit overprice , i like the chocolate deserts and they have a good selection of wine, the location is remote, so its a little hard to go anywhere, just stay at hotel all day(fit for honeymoon),i stay a lot of hotel in bali, but its the first time there a furnicular in the hotel, it's unique

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 7 nights in November/December 2013. We stayed in the second level from the top, which let us enjoy the magnificent views. Nothing feels better then waking up early morning, sun shining, water in the pool already nice and warm and inviting you in for a morning swim. The mornings were the best!
Breakfast buffet was amazing! Fantastic choice of food! My fave were the thick pancakes served with fresh raspberry syrup! Heaven! I'm sure everyone would find something the love! The choice if fresh fruit was also great!!! The only downside is the evening / dinner menu. Not that much choice and both me and my husband struggled to choose something we liked! We either are early from the bar menu or ate out in town. Also the prices were quite high!
The rooms were serviced twice daily. The stuff left fruit for us in the morning and some little sweets in the evening. They even made your slippers ready next to the bed!!! Overall the staff were fantastic!!!! Very attentive, helpful and kind. Always happy to converse, share a story, have a laugh with us. Especially with my husband, who often took a ride on a funicular just to chat to the person serving it. The lady in the hotel shop was also very nice and always smiling when she saw us! I do regret we forgot their names, otherwise would praise them here by name!!!
The afternoon tea was nice too.
The hotel spa was a but pricey but still worth getting a massage there. Very nice!!
We both loved listening to the story of the hotel. I really can't read all these negative reviews! The people there are really, really kind and always had a smile and time for us! They shared so many stories about the hotel with us!
It is a jungle, so insects and lizards are seen daily! It can be a bit uncomfortable at times if you are not used to seeing the creatures.
Definitely take a walk down to the river! The steps can be slippery at places so be careful, but it's definitely worth it!
The hotel pool is lovely too! A lot of people come here and head straight to the pool just to take a photo there! Hahaha we've seen many over the week we stayed there.
Hotel taxi to Ubud is an ok service. Could have been more often and sometimes didn't come to pick us up at all, but we had 2 other private taxi drivers, so we were never worried. One of them was Adil - our go to driver in ubud (dirsavones@yahoo.com) Very nice man, very humble. Say hi to him from Mick and Hanna from London if you ever use his services, please. The other one was Nyoman (Nyomansuntayasa@yahoo.com) who took us for a day trip around Bali (mt Batur, coffee plantation, water temple, etc) definitely contact him for a day trip! Speaks very good English!
Overall we loved our stay in Hanging Gardens. Not a good choice to go with family as can be a bit boring for the kids due to lack of entertainment, but perfect for couples who are looking for peace and quiet!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank MsHaniaK
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Amazing views, the room was magical and most of all because we got an upgrade...

If you go to this hotel do not forget to take the cooking lessons!! They hold them in a magical place in a cabin at the top of a mountain were you will prepare your meal... it is like a dream! Both chefs are super professionals and you will not regret the experience ... I think it was the experience I remember the most of our complete visit to Bali!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karla G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Wow wow wow. The view, the location, the quietness of the place, the beauty of the room. This ace is just magic. We loved the room, you can actually stay there all day long and just go out for a walk outside the hotel. Its the ace to go to relax and chill out, not for partying

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AMPAOLINI
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 2 April 2014

i usually dont write reviews due to time constraints. but our stay at this hotel during our holiday recently have been such an experience that i could not help but write a review.

when you may be shortlisting hotels from your so called "luxurious 5 star hotels" in Ubud Bali you will definitely come across this property and may be you also go ahead and book the hotel for your holidays, honeymoon etc. this is because of the photos and reviews about the picturesque view of the valley from the hotel. BUT THATS ABOUT IT. THE PRICE YOU ARE PAYING TO STAY IN THIS HOTEL JUST GIVES YOU THIS.

during my holidays i was not only terribly disappointed but furious as well. this hotel is ranked so high and amongst the premium properties !!!!! impossible.

i so agree with my fellow reviewer below it is exactly as he has written. this hotel is not worth the price you pay. it is high at price but the lowest at service, cleanliness, food etc etc you name it.

you will definitely have big issues with food. first morning we went for breakfast and that was the time we realized that this hotel in no ways is a 5 star or even a 4 star property. the breakfast menu was not only limited but hopeless.

MOST IMPORTANT THING THEY DO NOT HAVE 24 HOURS ROOM SERVICE ( A 5 STAR LUXURY PROPERTY AS THEY CALL IT DOES NOT HAVE THIS. also this is not informed, infact i had read somewhere that it is 24 hours and will soon post the same here. this was the reason i was shocked when the guy at the hotel told me its only till 10:00 pm.

now come to traveling between the hotel and the ubud city. you will have to spend a minimum of 50 dollars per round trip from the hotel after 5:00 pm because their shuttle service ends at that time. WOW till 5 pm only compare it with other properties who are not as highly rated as this they have better customer service. Further when you book a taxi with them for night or evening travel to the ubud city they first need cash from you for the trip before you start the trip that is how much they trust their customers who have paid huge amounts to stay at their overpriced hotel.

Beware of the mini bar!!!! things outside the minibar not even marked at all are not free which you will realise while checking out if you dont read their mini bar menu in detail which i suppose you will have ample time to do on a holiday. (sarcasm)

Coming back to food you will have the most stinking and stale cheese ever in your life. also if you are a VEGETARIAN ALERT !!!!!!! NO WAYS YOU CAN THINK OF STAYING AT THIS PLACE. food for you is going to the ubud market and having it which is again half an hour drive.

The hotel is not at all lively. it feels as if it has been ruined by some disaster. the cafe at the bottom near the ayung river shuts at 6:00 pm reasons better known to them. you have a restaurant and a pool side thing to enjoy in the hotel. well its the only restaurant. the pool side bar/restaurant/cafe as you may call it has to shut at 11:00 pm as per their timings but look at their wonderful service they start winding up from 10:00 pm and dare you go at that place after that you will be served with waiters and staff yawning in front of you and disinterested in serving you.

there are many more things but one of the most important thing that you would like to have when you stay at these kind of hotels in a deluxe pool villa or for that matter any other villa is PRIVACY. well you dont have that the villas are close by and in placed in such a manner that your rooms and pools are so visible to each other. the blinds in the bathroom do not roll down till the bottom and you will definitely not have privacy. if you have stayed at other such properties around the world you would definitely understand what i am trying to convey.

I just cant stop as this hotel had too many bad things which reminds me of the cleanliness. the outside gazebo and loungers are not cleaned at all and they are so dirty that you need a towel to put before you sit. but surprisingly the towels outside are dirtier than the seats at the gazebo and the loungers.

in conclusion i would agree with many other reviewers that there are many other better properties in that region at the same price or even better price.

ONE SHOULD AVOID THIS PROPERTY IN ALL WAYS ONLY IF ONE HAS MONEY STOLEN FROM SOMEWHERE AND DOES NOT KNOW WHERE TO SPEND THEM ALL. loll

This property does not justify the price tag it comes with.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Hiteshshah1983
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Hiteshshah1983,

Thank-you for taking the time to write such a thorough review, although we are of course very disappointed to hear of your experience with us and sincerely apologise.

We want to you know that we take such feedback extremely seriously and have run through all comments with the respective department heads and formulated an action plan against each item.

In fact, several of the points you raise were already being addressed as part of a complete improvement programme we currently have underway or will be now changed based on your feedback:

We have housekeeping visit the villas three times per day to help clean away the natural jungle debris from the outside areas, and they are available for additional clean-up by request, which we will make clearer in our in-room materials. All our furniture will be replaced over the coming months.

We are currently revising our Mini Bar menu and will incorporate your advice in improving labels, offerings and menu clarity. Please forgive us for any confusion.

We have now extended our Spa and Café opening hours till 10pm - thank you for the suggestion. We have also extended our room service hours till midnight in hope of accommodating more late night requests.

We are currently planting extra bamboo to help shelter the gaps between the few villas that may offer partial views of another villa.

We are sorry our local and International breakfast offerings failed to please and are continuously striving to bring improvement to all menus. We particularly noted your comments on our cheese and vegetarian selections and will make this area a top priority for attention.

We pride ourselves on an extensive offering of estate-grown and fresh local fruits and vegetables. We apologise if we failed to effectively communicate this to you and will endeavour to better emphasise this on our menus in the future.

Whilst our steep and remote location has the advantage of peace, tranquility and stunning scenery, it does make the logistics of running the hotel significantly harder and thus put pressure on our pricing structure. Whilst we cannot control this, we have just launched a new website at www.hanginggardensubud.com on which we have tried to be as transparent as possible with pricing so guests can see costs before they arrive.

Our local transportation team provides a service in late model air-conditioned cars with water and bi-lingual drivers, knowledgeable on all popular destinations in Bali. Their prices are very competitive for the area and level of service: to Ubud one way is US$16, a half day is US$55 and a full day $85. We apologise if you were mistakenly charged and asked for money in advance. This is not right and we are looking into the error to prevent reoccurrence.

Please accept again our deepest apologies and rest assured that our team will now be working extra hard to deliver the best possible guest experience.

Kind regards,

Ketut, Resort Manager
rm@hanginggardensubud.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
Komaneka at Bisma
#12 of 199 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,825 reviews
Nandini Bali Jungle Resort & Spa

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!