1,689 results
All reviewspanoramic villaprivate poolthe riverfamily villaour honeymoonmain pooldifferent levelsbucket listcable carunique experiencethe hotel offersamazing viewsone of a kindromantic dinnerlocal villageluxury hotelafternoon tea
Reviewed 28 May 2014

25 kilometers from Ubud, this hotel is built along a hillside looking at a big Hindu temple. It is a great place to relax as there is little nearby. Our room abutted the jungle and there were monkeys galore. One sat on the edge of our dipping pool. The rooms are nice with a little bit of wear here and there but all around very comfortable and private. My husband and I experienced the best massage of our lives in the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upper levels and abutting the jungle for a true get away experience.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GuinnessLoves
HangingGardensUbud, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear GuinessLoves,

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our ground and facilities.

We are currently updating the wear you mentioned and hope you will notice improvement upon your return.

Please call upon me when we can be of service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and often.

With our best regards,

Ketut Sudarsana

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Flying all the way from Canada, this property was one of four we would stay at in Bali. The one that would be the most expensive/night, but the one we looked forward to the most. I stay at about 30 hotels a year for work and leisure and believe I am fair in expectations.

Unfortunately this hotel ended up being our least favourite of the four. I recommend not staying any longer than two nights at Hanging Gardens if you plan on going at all. We spent a total of five nights.

Arrival - For a 5 star luxury hotel, no transport is provided to the hotel or at least that is included. Recommend not using the hotel to hire you someone if arriving from Seminyak, you pay much more. Hanging Gardens - you should provide this. The competition does and you come in lower because of this. Positive - Staff at welcome, friendly as all Balinese were regardless of property.

Location - Okay… I understood remote… but they have you at their mercy. I will tell you shortly about food. But to get to Central Ubud it is at least a 30 minute shuttle ride. Great, you want to stay at the hotel just the two of you (I was there with my Fiance). However everything you order from a coke, beer, margarita, is crazy in price and lacking quality.

Food/Drink - This was so disappointing. Drinks we will pay the $15/American for a cocktail and sit by your lovely pool. However the drinks were less than average. We knew we would have to pay more, but very very poor drink menu. Food - I hate to be so negative, but terrible. Again, we would pay for good meals knowing we were far away from everything. But your options were again so very disappointing. Your menu needs a lot of work. Prices… not what we expect for the quality.

Rooms - Great rooms, amazing views. This has the potential to one day be five stars. BE READY FOR A LOT OF BUGS. REALLY. But you can't fault the hotel for this, just giving you fair warning. Ensure you demand a heated pool. They tried the excuses with us too even after I read in advance on trip advisor. The view again though is magnificent…. but you can go for lunch and take pictures/have a swim as we saw many tourists do rather than stay.

Owners/Construction - Any business you operate, never talk about your business as though clients are not right beside you. At dinner we overheard your new managers (Americans who were constantly around the resort instructing staff) talking about how you continue with construction overnight until you receive complaints to a contractor in a cocky way. They were the loudest group as my fiancé and I sat at your restaurant for dinner and we heard them boast about working at the Four Seasons, travellers who wear bingtang beer shirts. Again, hearing several times they were the big bosses.. unprofessional.

Construction - I emailed in advance to confirm it was all done. Period. I received a response confirming it was. It was not! The pool deck was being sanded and stained while we sat there to 'relax'. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it was! What a let down when we were paying so much specifically for that pool. How can you confirm it was complete prior to my arrival? At check out, I expected a room night to be compensated… nothing. An upgrade in room did occur, but that was not sufficient.

Hanging Gardens - Your resort was empty during our stay. I estimated a 30% occupancy. If you want to know where your property ranks and what to do to improve, listen to these reviews on trip advisor and act on it. We are a group that will pay the prices you demand for your hotel. However I would not recommend or stay at your property again.

If I went back to Ubud next week? I would look at the FourSeasons or something closer to central Ubud. Taxis even asked why bother staying at Hanging Gardens when it is so expensive with better options nearby!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank adam0585
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Adam,

Thank you choosing to stay with us at Hanging Gardens Ubud. I apologize for the disturbances you note and our failure to meet your expectations. We understand and have noted carefully all your feedback, shared with the relevant team members, and ensured we have actioned where possible.

There is simply no excuse for the things you mention around the construction, but we thought it may help you understand how they came about: we closed the hotel in early April for some major upgrades to the hotel, which should all have been finished by the time you arrived. Sadly very heavy rains caught us unawares and delayed the works considerably. It was unacceptable that you were told the works were completed prior to arrival and this is under investigation.

Whilst our steep and remote location has the advantage of peace, tranquility and stunning scenery, it does make the logistics of running the hotel significantly harder and thus put pressure on our pricing structure. Whilst we cannot control this, we try hard to be in line with the other comparable hotels in the area in terms of both price and quality. Since your stay back in March, we have both expanded our drinks list, including new cocktails with many ingredients from our garden, and revised our menu.

We are surprised that you seemed to witness non-guests using our pool as this is strictly against our policy and something we monitor and continually guard.

Many guests love our remote location away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud town but again we are sorry it was not for you – we try to please every single guest and it’s very disappointing when anyone leaves less than happy.

Warmest regards,

Ketut,
Resort Manager,
rm@hanginggardensubud.com.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I'm so torn about this resort. I want to give it more stars, I really do, but it just didn't meet our expectations.

My husband and I booked for a 2 night stay and one romantic secret dinner. We were extremely excited about this place, we've seen amazing pictures online and it's always in the media, but we were so disappointed when we arrived because all that had changed.

First of all, there was construction going on all over the resort, especially by the pool area. The pool was the primary reason why we came here and we were so heartbroken to see the changes made. The deck and side rails took away from the view but at least the pool was open when we got there. We also came here to experience the privacy and serenity of Bali as that's one of the things they promote but we didn't get any of that. All day we listened to loud drilling noise and workers walking around making us feel awkward when we were at the pool. They offered a 25% off spa treatments for the inconveniece but we would've really appreciated it more if it was on food, since there was no where else to go, being so far way from town. I felt maybe we should've been informed of the construction prior to arriving. We also walked around the area and noticed that things were not well maintained, dead shrubs and leaves everywhere, construction garbage all around not to mention the pathway tiles were broken. Maybe they're working on improving it now.

I'm just really really sad because for many months we were so excited about staying here and paid well over $400 usd/night that I thought I would at least get my money's worth. We've stayed at other 5 star resorts like The Marina Bay Sands in Singapore and The Banjaran in Malaysia and these places really went above and beyond and we left feeling so happy. I thought we would get a luxury honeymoon here at Hanging Garden but I'm sad to say that we didn't and I felt bad that my husband didn't fully enjoy the place. I should also mention that the private pool in our villa was so cold that I got sick and we only went in it once. Which made me feel like I wasted my money.

The reason why I gave this place a 3 star is because of the amazing staff and the wonderful secret romantic dinner. The dinner was truly romantic and an experience we will never forget. Our villa was wonderful, it has a large bathroom, an awesome rain shower, a private pool with patio and of course the very comfy large bed. The breakfast buffet was great, lots of selection and the juices were delicious. The afternoon tea was also nice they served it with some cake and bread. They also provide a free shuttle to town, thank goodness for this. Keep in mind that the resort is half hour drive from Ubud town.

Overall it was ok. Do I feel like I got what I paid for? No. It might be one of those experience that you have to judge for yourself. If the pool is what you're after just keep in mind that it has changed. Try to find updated pictures of the new pool area before making a decision. Hopefully, the resort will be better once construction and whatever other changes are completed.

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank Pedro_shiela

Dear Pedro_shiela,

Thank you for staying with us at Hanging Gardens Ubud. Your perceptions and criticisms are important to us and are taken very seriously here.

We are sorry our pool enhancements have diminished its allure and appeal to you. We appreciate and value the recognition we have received for our pool and our first and foremost attention is devoted to our guest’s comfort, satisfaction and experience of our unique setting, hence our decision to enhance the pool views, guest sunbed capacity and levels of service.

To explain the works you experienced - we closed the hotel in early April for some major upgrades to the hotel, which were planned to be finished by the time you arrived. Sadly, unforecasted heavy rains caught us by surprise and delayed the works considerably, hence the noise disturbing our normally tranquil setting, and a knock-on effect onto the maintenance of some of the areas you noted.

We have listened to our guest feedback about the villa pool temperatures and so have undertaken a programme to repair or replace all the heaters to enhance the villa experience. We appreciate and thank you for your praise of the other aspects of the villas, all of which are currently being enhanced unobtrusively in a villa-by-villa improvement programme.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed the romantic dining experience and our gracious staff – we have passed your kind words onto the team who served you and they are appreciative and thankful for your recognition.

I hope this helps provide some insight to our intensions, driven by our desire to improve our guests’ bespoke luxury experiences here at Hanging Gardens Ubud, and look forward to the day that you will be able to return to enjoy the finished product.

Best regards,

Ketut

Reviewed 15 May 2014

If you don't plan to spend time in the touristy bustle of Ubud, this is a wonderful place to stay. Quite a drive from the airport, but worth it upon arrival. All of the villas have a lovely view of the valley and of a temple across the valley. Our villa had a private pool that was to die for. We enjoyed the welcome drinks and the excellent service. The villa had everything we could need, all the amenities in the bathroom, etc. We loved the outdoor shower as well!

I have been to Ubud three times and the meal I had at the Hanging Gardens restaurant was by far the best. We asked the restaurant manager for recommendations and were so happy with his selections. The restaurant incorporates dishes from the other Hanging Gardens locations around the world... which was absolutely lovely!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I’ve never left reviews but I feel annoyed so I’ve got to. Me and my partner recently stayed here for 2 nights. We booked because of the amazing infinity pool can be seen in numerous magazine articles and the hotels website. So we turn up and they have changed it! No longer does it look so amazing. There are now more amazing pools in Ubud and if we had known this we would have stayed elsewhere. Decking has been added down the side of the lower infinity pool, ruining the view and a block added in the pool meaning you cant swim up and down. Its madness!! Just so they can get more sales at the bar by having more decking maybe?

Get rid of the decking along the side of the lower pool please! It will put people off booking. Not only this but we have been sold a false product. You cant sell your 'infinity pools' in all these magazines and then when people arrive they dont look like that. Its not on. Its not a top 10 pool anymore. Why change your one unique selling point? Yes you can get more people on the decking but at the expense of the infinity pool. I’m sure the original architect would agree. It is a great shame.

All in all if the pool is not the main reason you booked then great but if it is, do not book expecting what the pictures show!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Travelbug_R506
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Travelbug,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on our swimming pool. Your perceptions and criticisms are important to us. We are terribly sorry you feel our pool enhancements have diminished its allure and appeal. We appreciate and value the recognition we have received for our pool; however, our first and foremost attention is devoted to our guest’s comfort, satisfaction and experience of our unique setting, hence our move to enhance the pool views, guest sunbed capacity and levels of service.

It was important for us to stay true to the vision and integrity of the pool design, originally inspired by Ubud’s iconic, tiered rice paddies, and floating within the rainforest. The addition of the extra deck and the new deck hanging out over the jungle was in itself an architectural challenge and added both new unique seating opening incredible new views down the Ayung River valley, as well as a full service cabana and a sunken fire pit for spectacular night time romantic dining.

We have opened up the expansive vista views from the top pool deck and lounge, which was obstructed by a long stone planter previously lining the top pool and the stairway to the bottom pool. In removing the planter, we not only created new views from these areas but also regained space, allowing us to add a restroom/locker/shower facility to accommodate guests arriving early or wishing to use the pool while waiting for late departing flights to return home. The shelf ledge added within the upper pool now allows guests to sunbathe while lounging in the pool.

Our original layout was well recognised as one of the “very best in the world” and now with our improvements soon to be completed, we are confident you as well as others will agree with the international TV crews here recently that Hanging Gardens still eclipses all others. We have done our very best to stay true to the original vision for the pools while also offering guests the high levels of service and comfort they expect and deserve.

I hope this helps provide some insight to our intensions, driven by our desire to improve our guests’ bespoke luxury experiences here at Hanging Gardens Ubud, while enhancing the 'living art' of our pools. We hope you will be able to return to enjoy the completed architectural wonder.

Best regards,