“best honeymoon resort in the world”

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Payangan
Reviewed 5 June 2014

A best place for the best time you want in your life to spend, best place for Honeymooners in the world. Amazing experience for us in our life...a world class swimming pool makes you amazed and you dont wana leave the place.. We had river side pool villa in jungle and it was mind boggling with sounds of nature and flowing water.....really amazing experience of life...!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,598)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were here in October of 2013 for three nights during our honeymoon to Bali. I can, without a doubt, say that this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I travel a moderate amount and have experienced a lot of different types of hotels...this one far exceeded anything I've experienced.
The landscape is beautiful! The hotel sits on a hillside, the lobby on the top of the hill, the villas trickling down the hill and the hotel spa and cafe down at the bottom of the hill near the river.
The customer service is excellent! Several of the hotel staff remembered our names and would greet us throughout the day when we passed them. It made for a very comfortable atmosphere.
The villas are amazing! We stayed in a villa very close to the top of the hill with a pool. the bathroom and bedroom were very spacious and every bit of the villa was decorated with care.
You don't have to leave the hotel to get amazing and well priced food! Every morning we would eat breakfast at the large breakfast buffet. The food was fresh and very good and there was so much to choose from that you could have something different everyday. We would get a snack for lunch or snack on some food in the villa. Then at dinner we always enjoyed the lounge and ordered from the restaurant menu. This was our preference, but you can eat at the restaurant for a more formal feel.
No crowds! This hotel was pretty full, from what we could tell, however we felt like we were some of the only people there. There were no more than two other people with us in the pool at the same time, there were no more than 3 other tables at the lounge when we would go to there for drinks and dinner. Breakfast was the only time we saw more than 10 people at one time, however there were always enough tables to accommodate everyone.
If I had to choose something that could be a possible downside, I guess it would be that some people might not feel comfortable with the amount of stairs or riding the funicular to get around the hotel. It was fine for us, but might be an issue for some people or large groups.
This hotel really was a dream! I would go back in an instant!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrystie
Reviewed 2 June 2014

What a great experience to stay at Hanging Gardens Ubud. I was staying with a friend for a holiday.

My favourite is Panoramic Villa where i enjoyed the magnificent views of the jungle and the Balinese temple. The private pool is amazing, surrounded by trees from the jungle. The patio next to the private pool is convenience for a relaxation.

The villa atmosphere blends with natures. Teakwood flooring, earthy colour, the balcony with the dining table, outdoor bathtub, and the alang alang rooftop, are really give you a feeling that the villa is designed with natural resources and environmental concept. The bed and the spacious bathtub with raindrop shower are just too nice.

The food is excellent. I enjoyed my breakfast very much with humble service from the staff. If you like something local, try the traditional Balinese snacks while they are serving various breads and cakes. I prefer to have my breakfast early, so that i can enjoy my coffee and the sunrise from the restaurant with fabulous views over the jungle and temple.

The two funiculars take you from the lobby to villa, from the restaurant to the spa and cafe, so you do not have to worry about taking steps, unless you will have some exercise. I was exploring the resort walking along the pathways, and down to the deck by the Ayung River. Good to have this tour after taking the breakfast. You can breath the fresh air from the jungle.

The two swimming pools are the iconic feature from this resort i think. It is amazing, and hanging over the valley. I was swimming and entertained by fascinating green view over the jungle. For a holiday in Ubud, definitely i would return to this resort.

Room Tip: Panoramic Villa at the end of the pathways in the corner is my favourite. The view from private pool...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank RamdanJakarta
HangingGardensUbud, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear RamdanJakarta,

We are glad to read of your stay at Hanging Gardens Ubud and especially pleased to know that our associates were able to contribute to your holiday experience.

Please call on me when we can be of service.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

FANTASTIC STAFF. Not only is this an amazing property with a picturesque location,it also has an incredible staff. Welcoming and accommodating. Warm smiles and greetings everywhere. It is a short drive from Ubud, so not for everyone, but well worth the effort for those that make it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee R

Dear LeeR,

Thank you for sharing your “Amazing” review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hanging Gardens Ubud and we hope to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

For something different from all the beachside hotels in Bali, head towards Ubud and the Hanging Gardens resort. Once you arrive, you will find the hotel perched on a jungle hillside that gently slopes down toward a rushing river. Each villa is freestanding, with a private infinity pool and deck, as well as outstanding views of the jungle below. There is a large restaurant that sits atop a lounge and the main pool which "hangs" over the jungle below. Both the lounge and restaurant evoke a Hemingway feel, with fans gently swirling overhead, and open air views from all directions, giving you a chance to gaze out at the temple on the adjacent hill. The staff are friendly and helpful, along with an international chef who enjoys mixing western delights with traditional Balinese favorites.

If you are looking for a Mandarin Oriental or Westin, this isn't the place. The buildings are aged a little, and the jungle growth keeps the gardening staff busy; but, that adds to the charm of a place like this - and it looks like they have been making some upgrades and renovations to improve the overall amenities.

If you are looking for quiet time, and romance, with time to walk the grounds and relax along the pool or at the spa; then this will fit your style. The staff can set you up with a private dinner next to the river, or at the temple in candlelight...or even under the stars, on an island in the pool. It is something special, and a few nights here will give you something to remember from your Bali holiday, besides beaches and bars.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kristopher M

Dear KrisMunn,

Thank you for your review and we very much look forward to welcome you back to Hanging Gardens Ubud.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

25 kilometers from Ubud, this hotel is built along a hillside looking at a big Hindu temple. It is a great place to relax as there is little nearby. Our room abutted the jungle and there were monkeys galore. One sat on the edge of our dipping pool. The rooms are nice with a little bit of wear here and there but all around very comfortable and private. My husband and I experienced the best massage of our lives in the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upper levels and abutting the jungle for a true get away experience.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GuinnessLoves

Dear GuinessLoves,

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our ground and facilities.

We are currently updating the wear you mentioned and hope you will notice improvement upon your return.

Please call upon me when we can be of service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and often.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Flying all the way from Canada, this property was one of four we would stay at in Bali. The one that would be the most expensive/night, but the one we looked forward to the most. I stay at about 30 hotels a year for work and leisure and believe I am fair in expectations.

Unfortunately this hotel ended up being our least favourite of the four. I recommend not staying any longer than two nights at Hanging Gardens if you plan on going at all. We spent a total of five nights.

Arrival - For a 5 star luxury hotel, no transport is provided to the hotel or at least that is included. Recommend not using the hotel to hire you someone if arriving from Seminyak, you pay much more. Hanging Gardens - you should provide this. The competition does and you come in lower because of this. Positive - Staff at welcome, friendly as all Balinese were regardless of property.

Location - Okay… I understood remote… but they have you at their mercy. I will tell you shortly about food. But to get to Central Ubud it is at least a 30 minute shuttle ride. Great, you want to stay at the hotel just the two of you (I was there with my Fiance). However everything you order from a coke, beer, margarita, is crazy in price and lacking quality.

Food/Drink - This was so disappointing. Drinks we will pay the $15/American for a cocktail and sit by your lovely pool. However the drinks were less than average. We knew we would have to pay more, but very very poor drink menu. Food - I hate to be so negative, but terrible. Again, we would pay for good meals knowing we were far away from everything. But your options were again so very disappointing. Your menu needs a lot of work. Prices… not what we expect for the quality.

Rooms - Great rooms, amazing views. This has the potential to one day be five stars. BE READY FOR A LOT OF BUGS. REALLY. But you can't fault the hotel for this, just giving you fair warning. Ensure you demand a heated pool. They tried the excuses with us too even after I read in advance on trip advisor. The view again though is magnificent…. but you can go for lunch and take pictures/have a swim as we saw many tourists do rather than stay.

Owners/Construction - Any business you operate, never talk about your business as though clients are not right beside you. At dinner we overheard your new managers (Americans who were constantly around the resort instructing staff) talking about how you continue with construction overnight until you receive complaints to a contractor in a cocky way. They were the loudest group as my fiancé and I sat at your restaurant for dinner and we heard them boast about working at the Four Seasons, travellers who wear bingtang beer shirts. Again, hearing several times they were the big bosses.. unprofessional.

Construction - I emailed in advance to confirm it was all done. Period. I received a response confirming it was. It was not! The pool deck was being sanded and stained while we sat there to 'relax'. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it was! What a let down when we were paying so much specifically for that pool. How can you confirm it was complete prior to my arrival? At check out, I expected a room night to be compensated… nothing. An upgrade in room did occur, but that was not sufficient.

Hanging Gardens - Your resort was empty during our stay. I estimated a 30% occupancy. If you want to know where your property ranks and what to do to improve, listen to these reviews on trip advisor and act on it. We are a group that will pay the prices you demand for your hotel. However I would not recommend or stay at your property again.

If I went back to Ubud next week? I would look at the FourSeasons or something closer to central Ubud. Taxis even asked why bother staying at Hanging Gardens when it is so expensive with better options nearby!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank adam0585
bengottosmith, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Adam,

Thank you choosing to stay with us at Hanging Gardens Ubud. I apologize for the disturbances you note and our failure to meet your expectations. We understand and have noted carefully all your feedback, shared with the relevant team members, and ensured we have actioned where possible.

There is simply no excuse for the things you mention around the construction, but we thought it may help you understand how they came about: we closed the hotel in early April for some major upgrades to the hotel, which should all have been finished by the time you arrived. Sadly very heavy rains caught us unawares and delayed the works considerably. It was unacceptable that you were told the works were completed prior to arrival and this is under investigation.

Whilst our steep and remote location has the advantage of peace, tranquility and stunning scenery, it does make the logistics of running the hotel significantly harder and thus put pressure on our pricing structure. Whilst we cannot control this, we try hard to be in line with the other comparable hotels in the area in terms of both price and quality. Since your stay back in March, we have both expanded our drinks list, including new cocktails with many ingredients from our garden, and revised our menu.

We are surprised that you seemed to witness non-guests using our pool as this is strictly against our policy and something we monitor and continually guard.

Many guests love our remote location away from the hustle and bustle of Ubud town but again we are sorry it was not for you – we try to please every single guest and it’s very disappointing when anyone leaves less than happy.

Warmest regards,

Ketut,
Resort Manager,
rm@hanginggardensubud.com.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
Nandini Bali Jungle Resort & Spa
Ayung Resort Ubud
Ayung Resort Ubud
#3 of 10 in Payangan

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!