1,689 results
All reviewspanoramic villaprivate poolthe riverfamily villaour honeymoonmain pooldifferent levelsbucket listcable carunique experiencethe hotel offersamazing viewsone of a kindromantic dinnerlocal villageluxury hotelafternoon tea
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We positively enjoyed our stay at Hanging Gardens. To get one thing out of the way up front, the resort is, well, out of the way! If you want to be in the center of Ubud this is probably not the place to stay. I've noticed some complaints about that, but a quick look at Google maps would give you a good sense that the resort is removed to say the least. That's the whole point! If you're interested in getting away from everything for a bit it is magnificent. There is a free shuttle provided to get into town though hiring a car may be easier as the drop off location leaves you with a not insignificant walk into town.

We had arranged a pickup at the airport and it was efficient and the driver friendly. One of my few points of criticism would be that the drivers are contracted rather than full time hotel employees, and ours made an overly impassioned plea to please provide him with additional work during our stay in Ubud. It was just a little annoying after a long flight and probably not the case with every driver but something for management to note perhaps.

The property itself is beautiful. We had a room higher up on the hill and the view was amazing, the room large and well appointed, and we thoroughly enjoyed the private infinity pool. One point of note, if considering a room further down by the river, be aware that the jungle noise at night is quite the thing to behold (think crickets on steroids). Some people really like that, others do not, just something to be aware of.

I probably don't need to say much about the pool as I know I've seen it on lists of the world's 10 most spectacular pools and so forth. It is. And there were never more than a couple other people in it while we were there. Just great.

Some reviewers have said to prepare for armies of bugs. I would disagree. There were bugs, yes. You're in the jungle, literally. But never to an extent that I (or my wife who is the better barometer here) found annoying. At night we did actually use the mosquito netting around the bed, and that solved the only problem we had which was a few mosquitos the first night (when we didn't use the netting). Would reccomend you do the same but otherwise I didn't see a huge issue.

If I did have any suggestions for management it would be around the food and drink. I think other reviewers have mentioned this as well. The food was ok but we found the selection rather limited and you could get much better food in town for a fraction of the price. I wouldn't care about the price if the quality and selection were on point. Think there's some room for improvement there. Same goes for drinks, they were ok, nothing spectacular. With such a nice pool, it would have been nice to enjoy a drink poolside that didn't seem so run of the mill. When staying at a resort where you're spending the vast majority of your time at the resort, relaxing poolside and so forth, high quality bartending should not be underestimated.

But overall, a great experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ceeebo
Reviewed 5 June 2014

A best place for the best time you want in your life to spend, best place for Honeymooners in the world. Amazing experience for us in our life...a world class swimming pool makes you amazed and you dont wana leave the place.. We had river side pool villa in jungle and it was mind boggling with sounds of nature and flowing water.....really amazing experience of life...!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were here in October of 2013 for three nights during our honeymoon to Bali. I can, without a doubt, say that this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I travel a moderate amount and have experienced a lot of different types of hotels...this one far exceeded anything I've experienced.
The landscape is beautiful! The hotel sits on a hillside, the lobby on the top of the hill, the villas trickling down the hill and the hotel spa and cafe down at the bottom of the hill near the river.
The customer service is excellent! Several of the hotel staff remembered our names and would greet us throughout the day when we passed them. It made for a very comfortable atmosphere.
The villas are amazing! We stayed in a villa very close to the top of the hill with a pool. the bathroom and bedroom were very spacious and every bit of the villa was decorated with care.
You don't have to leave the hotel to get amazing and well priced food! Every morning we would eat breakfast at the large breakfast buffet. The food was fresh and very good and there was so much to choose from that you could have something different everyday. We would get a snack for lunch or snack on some food in the villa. Then at dinner we always enjoyed the lounge and ordered from the restaurant menu. This was our preference, but you can eat at the restaurant for a more formal feel.
No crowds! This hotel was pretty full, from what we could tell, however we felt like we were some of the only people there. There were no more than two other people with us in the pool at the same time, there were no more than 3 other tables at the lounge when we would go to there for drinks and dinner. Breakfast was the only time we saw more than 10 people at one time, however there were always enough tables to accommodate everyone.
If I had to choose something that could be a possible downside, I guess it would be that some people might not feel comfortable with the amount of stairs or riding the funicular to get around the hotel. It was fine for us, but might be an issue for some people or large groups.
This hotel really was a dream! I would go back in an instant!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrystie
Reviewed 2 June 2014

What a great experience to stay at Hanging Gardens Ubud. I was staying with a friend for a holiday.

My favourite is Panoramic Villa where i enjoyed the magnificent views of the jungle and the Balinese temple. The private pool is amazing, surrounded by trees from the jungle. The patio next to the private pool is convenience for a relaxation.

The villa atmosphere blends with natures. Teakwood flooring, earthy colour, the balcony with the dining table, outdoor bathtub, and the alang alang rooftop, are really give you a feeling that the villa is designed with natural resources and environmental concept. The bed and the spacious bathtub with raindrop shower are just too nice.

The food is excellent. I enjoyed my breakfast very much with humble service from the staff. If you like something local, try the traditional Balinese snacks while they are serving various breads and cakes. I prefer to have my breakfast early, so that i can enjoy my coffee and the sunrise from the restaurant with fabulous views over the jungle and temple.

The two funiculars take you from the lobby to villa, from the restaurant to the spa and cafe, so you do not have to worry about taking steps, unless you will have some exercise. I was exploring the resort walking along the pathways, and down to the deck by the Ayung River. Good to have this tour after taking the breakfast. You can breath the fresh air from the jungle.

The two swimming pools are the iconic feature from this resort i think. It is amazing, and hanging over the valley. I was swimming and entertained by fascinating green view over the jungle. For a holiday in Ubud, definitely i would return to this resort.

Room Tip: Panoramic Villa at the end of the pathways in the corner is my favourite. The view from private pool is fascinating, over the jungle and temple.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank RamdanJakarta
HangingGardensUbud, Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear RamdanJakarta,

We are glad to read of your stay at Hanging Gardens Ubud and especially pleased to know that our associates were able to contribute to your holiday experience.

Please call on me when we can be of service.

Best regards,

Ketut Sudarsana
Resort Manager
rm@hanginggardensubud.com

Reviewed 2 June 2014

FANTASTIC STAFF. Not only is this an amazing property with a picturesque location,it also has an incredible staff. Welcoming and accommodating. Warm smiles and greetings everywhere. It is a short drive from Ubud, so not for everyone, but well worth the effort for those that make it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee R

Dear LeeR,

Thank you for sharing your “Amazing” review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hanging Gardens Ubud and we hope to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

With our best regards,