We really wanted to do this hotel as part of our honeymoon because of the iconic pool and because at the time it was part of the Orient Express hotel family (so good food and good service pretty much guaranteed).
When we came to trying to book (around a year ago) we found the hotel was no longer run by Orient Express and had changed management, we still decided to go ahead but limited ourselves to just 1 night.
We had a lot of trouble with organisation when trying to contact the hotel which resulted in us taking transfers from the hotels we stayed at before and after instead. There was a lot of confusion around trying to book one of the special romantic meals ahead of time too.
The hotel location is issolated in the hills and forests a relatively short distance from Ubud and the views from hotel and our room were excellent. Our private pool was heated and offered a great view, but it should be noted these private pools while being infinity are not sculpted in the same way as the main pool (the ones in all the photos) and this misslead us slightly at the time of booking. The villa pools are not large enough for swimming in, just for relaxing, which is worth mentioning.
Compared to other hotels we stayed at this was the only hotel where our room was not 'private'. Its very possible for villas higher up to slope to see onto your patio/pool and neighboring villas pools do point straight at the bedroom window of their neighbor on one side.
We took both lunch and dinner at the hotel (there are no other options in walking distance). Lunch was good and the view from the restaurant overlooks the iconic pools and valley. Dinner unfortunately was less good, we were supposed to have a romantic meal on a floating island on the main pool but due to rain this had to be cancelled (which was just bad luck with the weather) but the only contingency plan was to eat in the main restaurant or in the room (which wasn't that interesting as the pool takes up the only good view on the patio). As we had been planning a romantic meal that night I decided to go a bit extravagant and take the $75 Wagyu beef and shrimp. I'm pretty sure they don't really expect anyone to order this and its only on the menu to make the other meals sound like better value as it was one of the most disappointing meals I've ever had, overcooked shrimp, unseasoned beef and just generally underwhelming.
Plus points were good waiter service and complementary honeymoon cake.
A final point is when retiring for sleep I kept getting a very strange smell when I lay down, I eventually found this was coming from the pillows which smelled like dirty water; not very pleasant.
Conclusion: Worth seeing for 1 night, check your pillows and consider other options for dinner.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hanging Gardens of Bali is a luxurious destination in the heart of the jungle. It is situated near Payangan, a village North of Ubud, whilst the hotel rests in the centre of the magical island of Gods. The enchanting five star luxury resort has 44 private suites and individual villas, each enhanced by its own granite infinity pool, rippling into the jungle below. Each villa is designed with traditional Alang Alang thatched roofs in complete harmony with nature. In 2014, TripAdvisor and Conde Nast Traveller named our Twin-Tiered Cascading Pool as the World's Best Pool and number one honeymoon destination in Bali by Conde Nast Traveller. In 2015 Hanging Gardens of Bali has been awarded: World Luxury Hotels Awards, Seven Star Global Luxury Awards and World Travel Awards as well as other prestigious recognitions, such as the World Luxury Spa Awards and the World Luxury Restaurant Awards. The renowned Garden Restaurant serves innovative Indonesian dishes with Asian flare and Mediterranean delicacies flavoured with the local herbs and spices grown on the land and freshly-caught fish from the Jimbaran Bay. The truly luxurious Spa Collection combines natural, local ingredients and ancient techniques to create beauty therapies and treatments that soothe the mind, rejuvenate the body and energize the soul. Complimentary shuttles to Ubud center are scheduled daily for guests. The airport is around 90 minutes away by road depending on traffic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hanging Gardens of Bali reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ubud Hanging Gardens By Orient-Express Hotel Payangan
- Hanging Gardens Ubud
- Hanging Gardens Hotel Ubud
- Hanging Gardens Of Bali Payangan