“Fantastic setting + incredible service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hanging Gardens of Bali

Hanging Gardens of Bali
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Payangan
Singapore
“Fantastic setting + incredible service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

The Ubud Hanging Gardens is perched on the side of a valley, overlooking a river below and a temple on the other side of the valley, which makes for amazing views from the rooms, restaurant, and pools. And speaking of the pools... the main pools are definitely some of the most spectacular infinity pools I have seen, seemingly spilling out over the cliff, and the plunge pool in our villa was very nice as well--a lovely private oasis. In fact, since it is located outside of central Ubud, the whole atmosphere of the place is that of a very elegant, tranquil hideaway. We also tried the spa, which had open-air treatment rooms with the sounds of birds and the river rushing by as the relaxing soundtrack to our massage. I'd definitely recommend having the Balinese massage! Finally, the staff were all exceptionally helpful and friendly, exceeding all of our expectations. Staying at the Ubud Hanging Gardens was the highlight of our holiday in Bali!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SingaporeLJD
hotelmanagement_8, General Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 20 March 2009
Greetings from sunny Ubud !

Thank you for taking the time to share you personal impressions of Ubud Hanging Gardens. I am delighted that to hear that your stay proved to be a most enriching experience.

Our unique location in Bali’s rural hinterland is definitely an advantage for travellers seeking serenity. Encompassed by nature’s bounty, we offer a retreat to replenish the senses and rediscover the small pleasures brought forth by the gift of each new day.

A Balinese massage is the perfect introduction to the island’s legacy of traditional healing and beauty rituals. Next time perhaps you can sample a different type of wellness therapy to help you unwind and make the most of your holiday.

Once again thank you for your encouraging comments and I am glad that your stay exceeded all expectation. I hope that you choose Ubud Hanging Gardens as your preferred choice of accommodation on future travels to the spiritually charged island of Bali.

Nicolas Pillet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

This is one of the best hotels I've ever been.
Great service, extremely helpful and friendly people.
Rooms are great, with private pool. Room are prepared twice a day, once during the day and once when you are having dinner.
The restaurant has excuisit dishes, prepared in a funny and sometimes unusual way.
You can book tours at the hotel, they come an pick you up at the hotel.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank bswbsw
hotelmanagement_8, General Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 13 March 2009
Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing account. I am glad that you were impressed with the overall hospitality of our staff and that your stay proved to be an enriching experience.

The hotel prides itself on providing a high-end escape in the tropical hinterland of Ubud’s rural outskirts. Despite our relative isolation, it is the attention to detail and small personal touches that our guests appreciate. I also thank you for recognising the effort taken to present a superb menu of fine dining cuisine. The culinary pedigree of our Executive Chef certainly contributes to the exclusivity of the property.

Once again thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens as your preferred destination on the spiritually charged island of Bali. I hope that future travels will bring you back to stay with us once again.

Nicolas PILLET
Bavaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

a absolut top class hotel in a very beautiful location, great rooms with plenty of space, excellent staff, very personal, a good quiet place to visit ubud and mount batur and come away from the busy tourism for the beautiful calm landscape in the evening and mornings, excellent spa, food and wine is a bit expensive for what you get - but not over the top - just food is so good and cheap anywhere else in bali - it is definitely good to have your own transport, internet access in all rooms, definitely a hideaway to come back to when the big pool is working - a very special place - woth a trip!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of your recent stay at Ubud Hanging Gardens. I am delighted that enjoyed your time with us and appreciated our hideaway location that is removed from the hustle and bustle of mainstream tourism.

Your stay happened to coincide with an extensive maintenance programme that was carried out for several days to our main swimming pool. I do apologise for the fact that you may have been inconvenienced, but I am sure that it did not detract from the overall quality of your stay. I would like to advise that the pool has now reopened and is in pristine condition for the pleasure of in-house guests.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ubud Hanging Gardens on future travels to the island of Bali.

Kind regards,

Nicolas PILLET
|London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

I stayed at the Ubud Hanging Gardens Hotel from January 16 - 22, Villa 25 (a panoramic view villa). Although I was travelling alone, I did not feel that I should have been on Honeymoon! The Hotel staff were probably one of the nicest team that I had come across in a similar style/class Hotel and were genuinely helpful, very courteous and I completely enjoyed their hospitality. I did not use the hotel shuttle to Ubud, I had a car and got lost many times to the amusement of everyone but it was all good and part of experiencing Bali. Ubud town centre is not far away (certainly not 45 minutes!!!!) more like 15. The food, all of it, was of a very high standard and I probably had most of the menu. The Blue Fin Tuna was the best I have had and the 'local' dishes were very good too. The food is not overpriced for what it is you cannot expect to pay cafe prices for Michellin star quality food. It was fairly priced. The Villas are very comfortably laid out, there is privacy depending on which Villa you have and there are insects and Geckos in the rooms and on the deck but the Hotel is in the middle of the forest and the staff do turn down the rooms and switch the insect repellent on in the evening. I loved Bali, I loved the Hotel and I felt very much at home - a truly magical experience and I shall be going back...........Thank s again to the lovely staff........The Doctor!

• Liked — The staff, the scenery, the food
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank cemal_London
hotelmanagement_8, General Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 9 February 2009
Greetings from Ubud Hanging Gardens.

Thank you for choosing to share your impressions regarding your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience, especially as a single traveller.

I have passed on your kind words of appreciation to my staff. They are always pleased that their effort to deliver gracious hospitality and impeccable service is recognised accordingly.

Hiring your own vehicle obviously proved to be a wise decision and getting lost is all part of the adventure. Taking the time to explore back lanes and hidden hamlets often reveals some fascinating insights into life in rural Bali. I am sure that these excursions and interactions with the local community enriched your stay.

Once again thank you for posting such a positive account of your time spent at Ubud Hanging Gardens. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on future travels to the island of Bali.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

I just returned from a four night stay at Hanging Gardens over Chinese New Year. The location of the hotel was absolutely stunning. My favorite part of the day was watching the birds, monkeys and gorgeous view from the plunge pool.

Before booking Hanging Gardens we also considered the Uma resort and Alila in Ubud. These two would have been much closer to the center of Ubud but we toured both during our stay and neither was in half as beautiful of a location.

So the positives about Ubud Hanging Gardens:
- Very kind staff
- Good spa
- Amazing scenery and pools
- Very peaceful and quiet; no disturbances or overpopulated 'resort' feel

The points for improvement:
- Food was only average in quality and extremely high priced (wine by the glass USD$18, while similar wines in town were USD$10-12) and food was also ~30% more than at the Uma or the restaurants in town.
- The cleaning staff could probably benefit from a timing program like some of the other high end hotels have (e.g. as soon as you give your name at breakfast or leave by car for a tour the cleaning staff is radioed to clean your room while you are out.) Somehow the cleaners came 3 out of 4 days (once at 9AM) while we were still in the room.
- The distance from Ubud center is a bit far (30+ min) if you want to go out and do things in the day, go home and then return to the city for dinner. The free shuttle stops at 5:30PM which is also a little early to venture out for dinner. A return hotel car for the evening is USD$30.

I would highly recommend the hotel for couples who want to stay mainly at the hotel with a few tours or day shopping trips into Ubud. If you want to have easy access to stores/bars/restaurants in the city center this may not be the hotel for you.

• Liked — Stunning views
  • Disliked — Food quality vs price
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank elizabeth-in-sg
Thank you for taking the time to present your observations regarding your recent stay over the Chinese New Year holiday. I appreciate your comments as all forms of feedback enables us to clearly define our level of services and facilities as well as anticipate the needs of our discerning clientele.

Ubud Hanging Gardens is definitely a destination for any traveller seeking solitude in a setting that is enveloped by the gentle beauty of nature. It is a retreat located in Bali’s rural hinterland with the reputation of being a place to escape the pressures of modern living.

Wherever possible our team of service staff are trained to keep their presence as unobtrusive as possible. Please be assured that I will personally investigate your concerns about the timeliness of our housekeeping team and address this issue accordingly.

Contrary to your remarks, I would also like to point out that given the culinary pedigree of our Executive Chef; I believe that our current F&B prices are fairly competitive in comparison to other hotels of a similar calibre. The highest international kitchen standards are maintained and this entails using only the very finest imported ingredients.
Guests are not obliged to dine solely at the hotel and in fact we endorse a number of restaurants within the Ubud area. We feel that dining out is a significant part of the overall travel experience.

Once again thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens for you recent holiday. I wish you all the very best on future journeys to the island.

Yours sincerely,

Oviedo, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

It was amazing. All the staff was so king. They learn your name form the first time, and you fell like at home. Nature, relax and happyness is all you can breath there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
hotelmanagement_8, general manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 22 January 2009
Thank your for taking the time to post such glowing comments about your recent stay at Ubud Hanging Gardens. Your time with us obviously proved to be a most enriching experience and I am delighted to hear that all aspects of the resort exceeded expectation.

The Balinese are known for their gracious hospitality and the resort is extremely blessed to have such a wonderful team of staff. It is often the small personal touches that are always the most memorable. I will personally make sure that your kind words of appreciation are passed on to my entire team.

Once again, thank you for choosing Ubud Hanging Gardens during your travels to the island of Bali. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

Quiet, lush setting with great views from many villas, excellent service. Villas are classy - well-designed and attractive - even by high Bali standards. Service staff generally pleasant and friendly. The private infinity pool is great because of the views.

I have two major complaints about the hotel - first, the food is terribly overpriced for what it offers. A basic dish via room service - a tuna sandwich or a plate of local noodles - cost around US$20. Fish or meat is much more. By Hong Kong or Tokyo five star standards, that is expensive, but probably acceptable. By Bali standards, it is very high, and I have stayed in many top-end properties in Bali. To compound the problem, the hotel is 45 minutes away from town and therefore you are mostly at the mercy of the hotel food. One cannot help but feel ripped off, especially if you have an extended stay.

Second, the hotel transport service to Ubud could be better-run. They use a couple of small Suzuki minivans. These are usually cramped in all three rows on each trip (people looking to find cheaper food options!). We took 4 round trips, and each time we had 7 people in the car. This is uncomfortable for a 45 minute ride. Also, the drivers tout for your business during the ride (which while not unpleasant, is not professional for a hotel-owned car service - maybe the drivers are not paid well enough?).

A word of warning - some of the rooms are not private. They can be overlooked from the restaurant or from other villas. Also, no gym.

Overall a great property but a few rough edges that need fixing. The setting is beautiful and highly recommended.

• Liked — room, views
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Critical_eye1111
hotelmanagement_8, Ganeral Manager at Hanging Gardens of Bali, responded to this review, 20 January 2009
Greetings from sunny Ubud,

Thank you for taking the time to post your impressions regarding your recent stay at Ubud Hanging Gardens. I am pleased to hear that you were well taken care of by the staff and that you found the level of service to your satisfaction. I also appreciate your personal observations as this kind of feedback invariably helps us to evaluate and evolve.

Ubud Hanging Gardens was created as a destination retreat in rural Bali, a place to escape mainstream tourism and rediscover the rejuvenating powers of nature. The resort is a 25 minute drive into central Ubud, however, this journey can take a little longer in the event of a ceremony or cultural celebration. This shuttle service into Ubud is complimentary and therefore does tend to get busy during festive and peak seasons. If a more personalised means of transportation is required, then a private vehicle can be arranged for a nominal fee.

Please be advised that I have noted your comment regarding our drivers attempting to tout extra business and this matter will not be taken lightly. It will be investigated and addressed accordingly to prevent any future discomfort to in-house guests.

I would like to point out that that our F&B prices are generally considered fair in comparison to other star rated hotels on the island given the culinary pedigree of our Executive Chef. We maintain the highest international standards and this entails using the finest imported ingredients such as Blue Fin Tuna and Wagyu Beef. Dining at Ubud Hanging Gardens is not mandatory and we are always delighted when guests choose to enjoy meals outside the resort to enrich their overall travel experience.

Once again I sincerely thank you for your comments and wish you happy travels on future trips to the spiritually charged island of Bali.

Nicolas Pillet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
The Kayon Resort
Komaneka at Bisma
#15 of 192 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,784 reviews
Nandini Bali Jungle Resort & Spa

Been to Hanging Gardens of Bali? Share your experiences!