“COMO Shambhala Estate - Heaven on Earth”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
Caracas, Venezuela
“COMO Shambhala Estate - Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The best hotel - spa I have stayed at. My wife and I enjoyed it very much We took advantage of everything COMO Shambhala Estate has to offer. It was the best. Excellent facilities, superb service, outstanding rooms, excellent food...no words can describe this beautiful and peaceful place. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Hermogenes L,

Warmest greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate at Banjar Begawan.

We’re so glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to meet your expectations. We hope that you and your wife and friends had the chance to participate in the complimentary daily schedule of activities we offer, which includes the morning Estate Walk and Yoga classes.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back home to the Estate in the near future even I know Venezuela is not just around the corner.

Kind regards from beautiful Bali,
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've just arrived back from a week at Como Shambhala and my only regret is not staying longer. I have been to many properties that offer a similar concept - Chiva Som, Six Senses Destination Spa and Kamalaya in Thailand but if you are thinking of trying a wellness retreat Como Shambhala is the number one place to go. From the moment you arrive the staff look after every possible need, want or desire. We stayed in the Tirta-Ening residence, which was absolutely beautiful and spacious. During our stay our personal assistant showed us some other residences and rooms and all the accomodation is special in its own way. The rooms are thoroughly cleaned twice a day and they do an amazing job. Our personal assistant Evelyn was brilliant in every way possible and nothing was ever too much trouble. She made sure our week at Como Shambhala was smooth sailing and enjoyable. There was a variety of activities on offer and the staff were excellent. I have never enjoyed Yoga until my sessions with Mark and the Pilates classes were wonderful too. One of my favourite places on the property were the freshwater pools down near the river. One day they organised a traditional Indonesian picnic lunch to have down near the pools, which was so special. The food was exceptional in both restaurants and you certainly won't go hungry. Sometimes I wished it wasn't so good so I wouldn't eat so much! All the staff were so friendly and accomodating and they look after you wherever you go. I could go on and on with more glowing reports about this property but whether you're looking for a wellness retreat, a relaxing few days or a beautiful place to stay you will not be disappointed with Como Shambhala. I'm already planning of going back later this year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jmcmenamin
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear jmcmenamin,

It is a delight to read such a wonderful review of COMO Shambhala Estate. Thank you.

We’re so pleased to know that Evelyn ensured you were well taken care of during your stay - we will be sure to relay your kind feedback to her.

At the Estate, we believe in encouraging guests to make real and lasting improvements to their lifestyle. This being said, we’re so, very happy to hear that you enjoyed the Yoga sessions with Mark as well as our COMO Shambhala Cuisine.

If I can be of any assistance in planning your trip back to the Estate, please do let me know. Evelyn, Mark, myself and everyone at COMO Shambhala Estate family look forward to welcoming you back home later this year.

Kind regards,

caracas
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The best resort/ spa ever stayed. Beautiful scenery, incredible service up to every detail.
Head to the rice fields, bike down the mountain with volcanoes views and then head to the spa!
Como Shambala has it all plus location Ubud center of some real Balinese experience.
Exceptional anniversary

Room Tip: Try to get the forest, if not wind is amazing
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tortuga12345
Dear tortuga12345,

Thank you for your kind review of COMO Shambhala Estate.

We’re so glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations regarding service and attention to detail especially to make your anniversary a truly memorable one.

We have to admit that we are very fortunate to be located in such close proximity to the cultural centre of Bali – Ubud. In addition to the rice field treks, mountain biking and treatments at COMO Shambhala, we do hope that you also had the chance to explore the wonders of Ubud.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back home to the Estate soon to celebrate your next anniversary or holiday

Sydney
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the residence villa - a truly Balinese style with elegant design. Great services and very clean. We were very imprssed with the fantastic food at Glow and the breakfast at Kudus house was sensational. Love the infinity pool and morning yoga & pranayama. Shame that didnt have enough time to try the spring pool. Will definitely come back again!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank LuvUluwatu U
Dear Luv Uluwatu U,

Warmest greetings from the tropical jungles of Banjar Begawan.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at COMO Shambhala Estate with other users on TripAdvisor.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed the cuisine at glow and Kudus House. Did you know that Kudus House was formerly a Javanese residence that is over 150-years old? (Just slightly older then me! :-) ) Kudus House is quite the charmer with intricate carvings all around and stunning views of the Ayung River gorge. Many of our guests insist on having both their breakfast and dinner there!

I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to visit the Spring Pools down at Kedara, our Water Garden. We hope that we will be welcoming you back to the Estate soon - this time for a longer stay and to experience a swim and a picnic lunch at Kedara - a memorable experience!

singapore
Reviewed 18 June 2013

To be honest,  i have always loved ubud bali and i lost count the number of times i was here. Como shambhala is my first, and I was blown away!

Como shambhala estate is perched above the ayung river, its about 20 minutes drive from ubud into the village of payangan. I stayed at sukma taru,  villa 5. It is privately owned. I  book this through  the owner directly, but you  can also contact the estate, who maintains this property

Upon arrival, a personal assistant named Martini was assigned to me. She is  a wonderful balinese lady that executes every of my request efficiently, whilst respecting my privacy. One evening, I had a few guests over for  poolside dinner, and she arranged  everything in a whiff - from setting the  tables to the candlelights at the jacuzzi, to the cd music.. I was impressed by the personal touch. Martini even took a motorbike home one night  to grab her shoes for me when she realized I didn't have the appropriate shoes the next morning estate walk - such is the warm hospitality of the Balinese.

The villa is named after a sacred mango tree, in sanskrit,  sukma taru meaning - the spirit tree. This  tree  emerges from deck of  the  pool -  stands stoic and proud with it's branches  lovingly embracing the villa, like a mother cuddling her child.

I especially love reading and meditating at the poolside pavilion under the sukma taru -  spotting various species of birds stopping by the tree to offer a song or two, humming  to the low murmur of flowing river below the ayung ravine. With the lingering sweetness of incense offerings in the air,  a deep sense of grounding and gratitude wells up from within. And in the magical hours of dawn and dusk - this place literally moved me to tears. On a  clear day, from the balcony of my bedroom , I get a glimpse of  Mt Batur - what a view!

As i found out, Como shambhala was formerly known as begawan giri.   My respect goes to the founder who created this magical sanctuary. This  gem shines bright, without stealing the thunder from mother nature.  From the materials used in the building, to the architecture, to the landscaping, right down to the details of its interior decor, at como , you are invited to snuggle up to nature, smile in your sleep, and wake up feeling totally rejuvenated.

I have been practicing yoga and  meditation for years.  For the first time,   i could not bear to close my eyes while meditating - the beauty that lay before me is simply too exquisite!  The estate's magic and tranquility  is so special that  it  puts to shame all frivolous shopping, partying and pretentious fine dining if you have any of these planned in your itinerary.

I think Como knows their stuff when it comes to wellness.
That said, you should splurge on a good massage when here. I booked for a 4 hands massage, a foot reflexology and hydrotherapy session. 2 yoga and meditation sessions. The therapists' skills and instructors are simply amazing. I  have had my fair share of wellness retreats and therapies, I would rate this one of the best experience i have had.

The food at Glow and Kudus restaurant was lovingly prepared and tasted delicious.  - although a tad pricey. My favorite was their salads and the yummy breakfasts!

Do not miss the  estate walk n  village trekking. Walk in the rice fields and be greeted by local villagers, and  bring some holy water from the sacred fountain situated near the estate grounds with you. Smell  the delicate fragrance of the white ginger flowers, and  be a part of the picturesque landscape dotted with bright orange african tulips along terraced slopes....

At the end of the day, its not about egyptian cotton and the thread counts on your linen.  Its the experience of a total sense of well being and a  deep sense of gratitude and beauty this place invoked.  This contentment and goodness in the heart will bring me a long way, as I head back to the city life that is about to swarm me.

Room Tip: Villa 5 has a breathtaking view of the valley and Mt Batur on a clear day!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank tazawa
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Dear tazawa,

Warmest greetings from our sanctuary at the Begawan Village.

Thank you for your most generous review of COMO Shambhala Estate and for sharing it with everyone on TripAdvisor. Reading through your review has left us truly humbled. We are so grateful to have been a part of your magnificent journey in Bali this time around.

We will be sure to convey your praise and appreciation to Martini. As you mentioned, the Balinese are gifted with the most sincere sense of hospitality - we are very fortunate to be located in such special island.

We look forward to welcoming you back home home to the Estate in the near future. Meanwhile, should you feel like recharging from the swarming city life, we have recently opened a COMO Shambhala Urban Escape in Singapore where we offer yoga, Pilates, GYROTONIC, naturopathy, preventative health as well as massage therapy. You would find that the signature COMO Shambhala Massage offered at the Estate is also available there.

Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This resort/retreat really is the best place we have stayed to date ever.

The location is amazing, the rooms are beautiful, the staff are just truly brilliant and the food is to die for. We stayed for 4 days in April and really wished we could have stayed for longer.

It really is a health retreat designed to rest and rejuvenate...the spa and retreat amenities are excellent and well-run...and this is the kind of place where you don't leave the grounds for the duration of your stay. It's NOT a place to stay if you are planning on exploring Bali/Ubud every day. Honestly, in order to make the most of this place, you need to stay within the premises and take full advantage of the amenities on offer.

There's really not a lot more I can say than repeat and highlight the other great things that the other TripAdvisor contributors here have said about this place.

Hats off to Paul and his team for making our most recent trip to Bali the best ever!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GerardWh
Dear MacauGerard,

Warmest greetings from our little paradise in Banjar Begawan.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at COMO Shambhala Estate and for sharing such wonderful review on TripAdvisor.

It is so nice to hear that we have contributed to making your most recent trip to Bali the best ever. We do hope that you will stay with us longer next time so that you can discover more of what the Estate has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Estate soon for more rest and rejuvenation.

Kind regards,

Hong Kong
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We came to Como Shambhala having stayed down the road at the Four Season at Sayan. The service at Four Seasons was exceptional. My wife and I did not think things could get any better but the service and the environment at Como Shambhala Estate is another level higher altogether. We stayed in the amazing Como Shambhala suite in the residence Wanakasa1. The room was intimate, homely and comfortable. Very natural and private. There was an amazing Personal Assistant called Agung. He was a godsend. He organized buggies, restaurant reservations, booked activities and excursions, transport, tourist advice and even checked the weather for us on the other side of the island. We just spent the whole time relaxing and turned up when we needed to. At short notice, he was also able to procure surprise flowers and a cake for my wife's birthday. My wife is gluten free and at every meal, this was noted and freshly baked bread was always available. Choice of two restaurants. Food was high standard and healthy. Spa was amazing. The architecture was zen like and blended in with the surroundings. Peaceful and relaxing. Amazing Como Shambhala signature massage. Best massage I ever had. At airport there was someone to greet and meet us and to carry our luggage, guide us through the airport and fast track us through immigration. What service!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam L
Dear Sam L,

Warmest greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate.

We would like to thank you for sharing such a generous review of your stay at the Estate.

We are so pleased to hear that we were able to exceed you and your wife’s expectations. We’re also happy to hear that you were able to experience the COMO Shambhala Suite at Wanakasa Residence. Meaning ‘Forest in the Mist’ in Sanskrit, the Wanakasa Residence is truly magnificent – I always like to think of the Suites there as luxurious tree houses perched above the Ayung River gorge.

We hope that your wife had a wonderful birthday celebration. Agung, myself and the team at COMO Shambhala Estate very much look forward to welcoming you and your wife back home soon and hopefully to celebrate your birthday in a truly exceptional setting.

Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
COMO Uma Ubud
#15 of 199 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,307 reviews
Hanging Gardens of Bali

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!